Manao : Lemon Or Lime ?

palander

The following is all AFAIK.

The little green smooth "manao" are limes.

Lemons as we know them, elongated and yellow, are not widely available in Thailand. Maybe they are nowadays in places like Tesco-Lotus but when I lived there I very rarely saw any. Our office manager complained one day about the lack of lemons for his gin and tonic (all together now aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh).

There are the knobbly kaffir limes (don't know the Thai name) that are sour as hel_l and I don't know what they are used for but they do get in some Thai dishes.

All correct Phil.

Lemons would be imported & expensive. Villa market have them. They are yellow. Thai lime are mostly green. & cheap.

Kaffir lime - mainly the leaves are used in curry making.

The fruit is bitter as he.ll.

There are the knobbly kaffir limes (don't know the Thai name) that are sour as hel_l and I don't know what they are used for but they do get in some Thai dishes.

Thai name: Makrut - usually only the zest from the peel is used in recipes such as some varieties of green curry paste. The leaves (Bai Makrut) are in more common use.

yeap they are limes.

In Thai cuisine lemons are traditionally never used. limes have a sharp acidity that lemons can not substitute. However Thai limes are smaller and sweeter than other varieties of lime.

Use only fresh squeezed juice and avoid the commercial preparations.

hth

thaifoodmaster

Oh, I loved the calamansi! Just the right size for one glass of iced tea.

Thais call their green citrus fruit lemon when they refer to it in English. They are usually unfamiliar with the word lime. For example, in a hotel, ask for lemon, get lime. Ask for lime, get a puzzled look. This only means that the Thais think they are lemons. They are indeed limes, and make lovely limeade.

• 1 month later...
All correct Phil.

Lemons would be imported & expensive. Villa market have them. They are yellow. Thai lime are mostly green. & cheap.

Kaffir lime - mainly the leaves are used in curry making.

The fruit is bitter as he.ll.

A leaf of Kaffir Lime (มะกรูด in Thai) in your chicken soup or tea does true wonders. Their smell is also much stronger than lime leaves and the little trees can be found in every neighborhood in Thailand. Leaves can be dried or used fresh, or even be stored frozen without loosing their health benefits.

And for a little bit more western tastes: The leaves can also be infused in vodka. Give it a try!