Doi Inthanon - How Far?

Thaihog

How long does it take to drive to Doi Internon these days from say CM Airport Plaza? Also how much is it to get into the park and do they operate two tier pricing for Farangs and Thais?

Many thanks :o

its about an hour's drive. they charge entrance to the stupas area and yes its two tier pricing. not sure how much for farangs but if i remember right its 20baht for locals.

TB..

If you want to avoid the park entrance fee altogether, you can come in via the back entry- go to Hot, take the 108 to the 1088 to Mae Chaem, then right before the town take the 1192, very steep tight technical road....which dumps you out right inside the park entrance. You can wave at the rangers as you take a left, and head up the hill. Priceless! :o

PS to visit the stupa, you do have to pay.

If you want to avoid the park entrance fee altogether, you can come in via the back entry- go to Hot, take the 108 to the 1088 to Mae Chaem, then right before the town take the 1192, very steep tight technical road....which dumps you out right inside the park entrance. You can wave at the rangers as you take a left, and head up the hill. Priceless! :o

A very scenic route as well and you only have to pay an extra 600 Baht in gasoline to avoid the 40B park fee.

(something less than) Priceless! :D

:o

If I had your millions, Dusty, I'd fly my Sikorsky to the top!

Actually, I missed the turn off for the main park entrance, so navigated my way through the error.

The back way is a gnarly hair-raising route....but hey, I saved 40 B!

I went to Doi Internon yesterday and managed to get in for the Thai price (40 baht) as opposed to the Farang price (400 baht). I spoke Thai to the ticket lady and she asked for some ID, showed her my 5 year Thai driving license, no problem.

I had forgotten what a long drive it is from the entrance of the park to the summit. I wouldn't recommend going at this time of the year as there is low cloud cover and drizzle making visibility very poor. I spoke to a travel guide who informed me that it rains most days.

Thanks to all for their input.

Cheers :o

• 4 months later...
Is it possible to hire a taxi (a real taxi, not songtaew or tuktuk) from the Night Bazaar to go to Doi Inthanon?
Yes.
If so, how much should I expect it to cost?
Depends how long you want it for.
Thanks!
You're welcome

Alright, how about half a day? Go up, look around, come back? What's that take, 4 hours tops? (I really don't know how much time to allocate to a trip to DI. Obviously.)

Is it possible to hire a taxi (a real taxi, not songtaew or tuktuk) from the Night Bazaar to go to Doi Inthanon?
Yes.
If so, how much should I expect it to cost?
Depends how long you want it for.
Thanks!
You're welcome

Alright, how about half a day? Go up, look around, come back? What's that take, 4 hours tops? (I really don't know how much time to allocate to a trip to DI. Obviously.)

A bit longer than that.

A bit longer than that.

Ok, so, for "a bit longer than that," how much should I expect to pay for a taxi? B800? B2,000? B10,000? (Really hope it's not anywhere near B10,000, or I'll have to cancel this plan.)

Somewhere between 2,000 and 3,500 baht should do it. But I think you'd be better of renting a Toyota Vios or small Honda sedan for the day and drive yourself. There is a place right next door to the Maddog. You'll get one for about 1,000 baht or less for the day. They will supply a driver for an additional fee if you'd prefer not to drive.

Somewhere between 2,000 and 3,500 baht should do it. But I think you'd be better of renting a Toyota Vios or small Honda sedan for the day and drive yourself. There is a place right next door to the Maddog. You'll get one for about 1,000 baht or less for the day. They will supply a driver for an additional fee if you'd prefer not to drive.

That's an interesting suggestion. Since I don't have an international driver's license, and my only experience driving on the left side of the road was 2 weeks I spent in the UK back in '03, I wouldn't want to drive myself, but I'll look into the idea of hiring a driver.

Thanks for the info!