License Plate

rjhklein

Hi all,

I just saw new shop in our street (NE BKK)and they start selling larger bikes. They have 2, X4 Honda's, a black and a grey one (1300 CC). Asking price is now 190k thb. The sales man mentioned that that I need to pay another 85K to get the license plate.

My Thai is not that good so I did not get it 100%.

Why is the amount so high to get a license plate? Is it because the bike is imported? Please be so kind to explain.

Rumble

Is the dealer offering a 'special' number like AA 123 etc?

Or is the price for the bike (190k thb) without any documents / legal Thai paperwork, log book, taxes ?

So you could buy the bike - but only use it on your own private land - not public roads?

The price should be about 60,000.

Does he call the bike "invoice"? i.e. it cleared customs.

60,000 is for a brand new "virgin" book. Can take up to 2 months to get it sorted out.

Edited by dotcom

The price should be about 60,000.

Does he call the bike "invoice"? i.e. it cleared customs.

60,000 is for a brand new "virgin" book. Can take up to 2 months to get it sorted out.

Doesnt that depend heavily on the cc and value of the bike ??

I was lead to believe that getting a plate on say a CB400was going to be lots cheaper than on a >1000cc harley..

If the bikes are new and they are clean with the right papers, it is not that expensive. And yes, the cost of registering a motor-vehicle is based on engine displacement. A 400cc will cost about 40k, and a 600cc cost about 60k, the calculation go's wrong when we get closer and step over 1 liter engine displacement.

Now-a-day, I see more and more shops who do the registering on customers request, and not before. As first owner, you need to sign several papers at the department of land transport, which excludes the whole illegal books and fake papers mafia (sure this people not standing still).

Thank you all for your assistance. I will wait for a while, I find it personally too expensive.

I work in Singapore and having a 1200 cc Vmax there. Its cost me about 4000SGd thb (converted to thb abouth 100k) including insurance and paper.

I haven't really looked around yet but thanks too your explaination, my first idea is that Thailand is much more expensive then Singapore.

Rumble

Hi all,

I just saw new shop in our street (NE BKK)and they start selling larger bikes. They have 2, X4 Honda's, a black and a grey one (1300 CC). Asking price is now 190k thb. The sales man mentioned that that I need to pay another 85K to get the license plate.

My Thai is not that good so I did not get it 100%.

Why is the amount so high to get a license plate? Is it because the bike is imported? Please be so kind to explain.

Rumble

I think he is being asked to pay the import duties & registration fees.

Imported bikes are not a bargain here. NO MATTER WHAT.

You can ask LLOS - (imported) bikes with totally legit paperwork are as rare as hens teeth.

It's a fair price if that is the motorcycle you MUST have. Otherwise keep looking. Just remember the next one you see may be using false documents.

You mention the cc is 1300 - already not a bad price for a plate. Please tell us year of manufacture.

Edited by dotcom