A Farewell To Pattaya: More People To Leave?

libya 115

I have to agree that it seems like the local government has a policy of doing whatever they possibly can to discourage any tourist from coming to Pattaya. from arresting foreigners for no apparent reason, not doing anything about the shady types that opeerate here, no consumer protection, early closing times, garbage on the streets, unsafe streets, not cracking down on dangerous drivers/motorbikes, and on and on.

I have been coming to Pattaya a long time and i have never seen such poor business conditions. Closures all over the place. farangs scared to start businesses, farangs scared to patronize businesses etc.

They have created a recipe for a huge crime rise in the future. And a lot of farangs come to Pattaya to drink and for sex, and the crackdowns will drive people to other more tourist friendly countries.

The only thing that will save Pattaya and Thailand in general is if the large corporations that rely on foreigners for much of their business (big supermarket companies, Homeworks, HomePro, Carrefour, Big C, Tesco, Thai Airways, all hotel companies, etc.), will put pressure, big pressure on the government to tone it down on attacking foreigners that support the economy here.

I think if the sex tourists go somewhere, good for Pattaya. Then maybe the girls that hang around Beach Road will go back home to Bangkok or Issan :o

I think I finally get you faranglandoz. You've arrived here, invested your money in Jomptien, and now want to change the place to suit YOUR morality.

Well, IMO you should either go elsewhere to some boring "family friendly" town in Thailand ( Hua Hin springs to mind ) or put up with it. The girls of Beach Road were here long before you, and just WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE to demand that they go away to comply with your puritanical outlook on life.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the sex tourist goes, so will pattaya.

Pattaya has very little to offer the family tourist.

much better beach resorts around Thailand and the world for that matter.

also remember to get a family of say 4 to fly from Europe to Thailand plus hotel

for two weeks is very expensive.

Keep Pattaya the way it is, Birds, beer and Tabs. :D

There would be more family tourists from Australia coming to Pattaya, rather than Patong, if the sex tourists departed :o

We don't want families from anywhere coming to Pattaya, and if it takes more poo and condoms on the beach to keep them away, so be it. Perhaps someone could set up a collection point for all the night's used condoms, so they can be scattered on the beach before dawn!

I have to agree that it seems like the local government has a policy of doing whatever they possibly can to discourage any tourist from coming to Pattaya. from arresting foreigners for no apparent reason, not doing anything about the shady types that opeerate here, no consumer protection, early closing times, garbage on the streets, unsafe streets, not cracking down on dangerous drivers/motorbikes, and on and on.

I have been coming to Pattaya a long time and i have never seen such poor business conditions. Closures all over the place. farangs scared to start businesses, farangs scared to patronize businesses etc.

They have created a recipe for a huge crime rise in the future. And a lot of farangs come to Pattaya to drink and for sex, and the crackdowns will drive people to other more tourist friendly countries.

The only thing that will save Pattaya and Thailand in general is if the large corporations that rely on foreigners for much of their business (big supermarket companies, Homeworks, HomePro, Carrefour, Big C, Tesco, Thai Airways, all hotel companies, etc.), will put pressure, big pressure on the government to tone it down on attacking foreigners that support the economy here.

I think if the sex tourists go somewhere, good for Pattaya. Then maybe the girls that hang around Beach Road will go back home to Bangkok or Issan :D

I think I finally get you faranglandoz. You've arrived here, invested your money in Jomptien, and now want to change the place to suit YOUR morality.

Well, IMO you should either go elsewhere to some boring "family friendly" town in Thailand ( Hua Hin springs to mind ) or put up with it. The girls of Beach Road were here long before you, and just WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE to demand that they go away to comply with your puritanical outlook on life.

Hear, hear. Well said! :o

I have lived in Pattaya for five years, and I too got sick of it all and now have moved to Korat. People much nicer, cost of living lower, good resturaunts, and Pubs. The only thing missing is the sea which I never went in to begin with. Has swimming pools in Korat, and everything else that Pattaya has except a Carefour which will probably have within a year or so.

Barry

Didn't know they had a Soi Yodsak in Korat too ? Will pass on the info .....stand by for the stampede

Goodbye Thailand. Our money is going elsewhere.

Ben and Ruth Martinez

Who the hel_l is Ben and Ruth? I can't remember to have asked for their money. So, what do they intend with such pathetic nonsense? Does anyone care where an why these guys spend their time and their last ressources?

I have a sneaking suspicion that people who write letters like that, are looking for validation of their decision to leave. Secretly or subconsciously, they may be hoping that they will get feedback that they can then look at and say "See, other people think the same way we do, so our decision to move was a good one".

Good take Kerry. They probably are reading the press and surfing the net (and maybe reading this forum) to see if they made the right decision.

If you have the money, youth and energy to up sticks and take your caravan to some other, newer, better idyll, then more power to you. But why beat your gums about what is motivating your move unless you are seeking reassurance?

Me? I came back to Pattaya after 15 years away and I am too bloody old to try and reinvent myself let alone sin city.

Let it be.

We don't want families from anywhere coming to Pattaya, and if it takes more poo and condoms on the beach to keep them away, so be it. Perhaps someone could set up a collection point for all the night's used condoms, so they can be scattered on the beach before dawn!

:o:D:D

if the sex tourist goes, so will pattaya.

Pattaya has very little to offer the family tourist.

much better beach resorts around Thailand and the world for that matter.

also remember to get a family of say 4 to fly from Europe to Thailand plus hotel

for two weeks is very expensive.

Keep Pattaya the way it is, Birds, beer and Tabs. :D

There would be more family tourists from Australia coming to Pattaya, rather than Patong, if the sex tourists departed :o

plenty of other places for families to go.Pattaya is "sex in the city"long may it remain so.

In reality more and more people are coming to Pattaya...and it looks like continuing.

There are certain groups of expats who at one time were the dominant grouping but now the demographics have changed and this is no longer the case. One group in particular seem to dislike the changes and that seems to be the British Expats. Once (maybe still) the largest single grouping they seem to fear and resent the changes in Pattaya more than anyone - or at least are the most vocal about it. Is this a fear of no longer being cock of the roost or is it just the onset of old age?

In reality more and more people are coming to Pattaya...and it looks like continuing.

There are certain groups of expats who at one time were the dominant grouping but now the demographics have changed and this is no longer the case. One group in particular seem to dislike the changes and that seems to be the British Expats. Once (maybe still) the largest single grouping they seem to fear and resent the changes in Pattaya more than anyone - or at least are the most vocal about it. Is this a fear of no longer being cock of the roost or is it just the onset of old age?

More Russians- does anyone have any information on numbers of toursits from Europe coming, I see more Thai's Chinese, Koreens Eastern Europeans, but less Americans and Europeans, more white women etc....

More Russians- does anyone have any information on numbers of toursits from Europe coming, I see more Thai's Chinese, Koreens Eastern Europeans, but less Americans and Europeans, more white women etc....

Please see this link. There you can see how many turist is coming to Thailand (per month/ nationality etc.)

Look year 2007. Statistic for 2008 is not public yet.

http://www2.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_download.php?Rpt=nmt

Wasn't there a fairly recent post by someone who discovered that the TAT's basic mechanism for counting Tourist arrivals in Pattaya is flawed? Allegedly they base the numbers on the amount of hotel registrations of the Immigration TMS card. Therefore if a Tourist checks out to visit Koh Samet and then checks back in, he is counted as a visitor 3 times (one for each hotel check in) although he only entered Thailand once.

With that sort of government departmental math, you wonder how they really do their sums at the Bank of Thailand?

Maybe Thaksins nest-eggs are being similary mis-stated?

One group in particular seem to dislike the changes and that seems to be the British Expats.

What's the basis for this assumption?

14 years of listening to them!

if you disagree with my hypothesis - perhaps you might outline the basis for that...if your so keen.

Edited by kedawi

While I can't vouch for the accuracy of the above, anyone who likes Pattaya the way it is at present should be afraid. Remember what happened to Makati when a mayor decided that the bars in his town had to go, and now Pattaya has a mayor saying the same sort of thing. Every new mall, condo and "family" resort threatens a way of life that most of us Pattaya lovers want to keep.

I have no answers to the forces of greed, but perhaps the global economic downturn will yet save the place. If present trends in the UK continue, few Uk families will be flying to Pattaya ( the £ lost 2 bht in the past week, and well down since last year ), due to reduced value of sterling and increased cost of flying. I can but hope.

Why?

Phuket has better beaches, cleaner sea, better day trips (Ao Phang Nga / Fantasea / Elephant Safaris / Ko Phi Phi / far better diving / and so on).

Pattaya's only draw is that it is the Sin Capital of Asia.

For the second time in a year we have been burgled. My wife now wants to sell-up and move.

As I am working away from home I do not know the extent of the problem, but I was already (see earler post) contemplating a move to Hua Hin / Cha Am or even to UK.

My wife now agrees with me, but as we have the kids education to consider, this will have to be a long discussion, not just a Blair-like knee-jerk reaction to a single event.

I will post again around the end of August, when I have a few days at home.

Why?

Phuket has better beaches, cleaner sea, better day trips (Ao Phang Nga / Fantasea / Elephant Safaris / Ko Phi Phi / far better diving / and so on).

I'd say there is more to do in Pattaya over all besides the nightlife. :D

Look at the Westerner expats -

They're getting older by the year their money is running out, they can't afford to stay and are too embarassed to go home?

They are poorer and thailand is dearer ..... they decided to come here without fully taking into account a world downturn OR inflation OR the developing Thai economy.. they thought it would last forever.....well if Buddhism tells us anything ....it's that nothing lasts forever. If they want to stay they have no status - they aren't residents just "PGs" - the only contribution they make to the economy is the amount they spend which they grossly over-rate.....few work....they just live here because it's cheap...what do they expect?

Why?

I'd say there is more to do in Pattaya over all besides the nightlife. :D

More, maybe.

But not of the quality that Phuket offers (offered? I haven't visited for three or four years)

The first post on yhis sub-thread (from Farangland Oz) was mentioning Patong, rather than Phuket - but if that is his only experience of the island, then he has missed the best 80% of the experience of being there.

Why?

I remember when all of the European families started moving from Pattaya to Patong and there was already plenty of Go-Go Bars and hookers all over Phuket.

Phuket is prettier and cleaner and you can swim at the beach. Sex-tourism - Thai style - is not a big issue one way or another with most normal people. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

They're getting older by the year their money is running out, they can't afford to stay and are too embarassed to go home?

They are poorer and thailand is dearer ..... they decided to come here without fully taking into account a world downturn OR inflation OR the developing Thai economy.. they thought it would last forever.....well if Buddhism tells us anything ....it's that nothing lasts forever. If they want to stay they have no status - they aren't residents just "PGs" - the only contribution they make to the economy is the amount they spend which they grossly over-rate.....few work....they just live here because it's cheap...what do they expect?

I am a "westerner expat" I have money, I can afford to stay here, as can many friends of mine. Sure some of us will be leaving, Pattaya has changed, that is our choice!

Don't know what your problem is but this is a pathetic unthought-out post, get a life!

Take it you are a devout Buddhist? :o Perhaps you could enlighten us where his teachings recomend generalisation and attacking your fellow man?

I am a "westerner expat" I have money, I can afford to stay here, as can many friends of mine. Sure some of us will be leaving, Pattaya has changed, that is our choice!

Don't know what your problem is but this is a pathetic unthought-out post, get a life!

Take it you are a devout Buddhist? :o Perhaps you could enlighten us where his teachings recomend generalisation and attacking your fellow man?

Earlier i was asked on what I based my comments - I think this post rather demonstrates the point I was making. A hysterical response with sample of one and some very dubious conclusions drawn mixed in with some rather confused insults.

I left Pattaya a few days ago. I was in Pattaya for the past four years.

In the past 48 hours, my health has improved. I feel very relaxed. No Indian/UK/or other nationality approaching me or running me down on a motorbike. No motorbike taxi drivers clapping and glaring at me. No baht bus drivers honking at me. No disco trucks with speakers blarring at 4am.

No garbage on the street. Nobody attempting to play road frogger with me. No stress about con artists, touts, or criminals staring at me and just waiting for that one mistake to capitalize. No need to lock every item to my body when walking around the town for dinner. (Simple safety is enough).

No attempts to snatch my gold chain from my neck. No condoms or poo poo in any public area. No broken glass shards on the streets, waiting to be used as weapons. No loose stones or bricks on the sidewalks waiting to be used as weapons. No sirens from police or ambulance vehicles at all. No noise pollution whatsoever. (No, I am not living in a field in the sticks, I am living in a normal Thai city, not far from Pattaya). No stories on the local news about farangs jumping out of condos. No local, daily murders to view on the news. No Sword kiilings, then burn the dead farang's house down here either. This list could go on and on and on....

But, I imagine that once a person steps out of that hellhole, their health and life will improve. Pattaya for me will be a place for a very, very short visit on a rare occasion. To top it all off, the cherry on top of the sundae, the local girls here are far more lovely, younger, and more beautiful than the rags running around Pattaya.

Edited by innovator