Chula Intensive Thai Program

Rionoir

Has anyone been through this program? I've found a couple of old and vague posts about it, but nothing too descriptive. I have gathered though that it is very intense, which is exactly what I want... but any other info? I'm very interested in how well it prepares your listening and comprehension skills - I don't want to be fluent just on paper.

Are there any other similar programs in Bangkok? I know there are many thai programs, but I'm looking for intensive programs.

Thanks for any info. :o

Has anyone been through this program? I've found a couple of old and vague posts about it, but nothing too descriptive. I have gathered though that it is very intense, which is exactly what I want... but any other info? I'm very interested in how well it prepares your listening and comprehension skills - I don't want to be fluent just on paper.

Are there any other similar programs in Bangkok? I know there are many thai programs, but I'm looking for intensive programs.

Thanks for any info. :o

Well, I only know one person who has done it. And I spent one hour consoling her for dropping out of it. She described it as very intense. 6 hours of classes and 3 hours of homework every day. I can come back to you in a few days as to what exactly was in the course. But if you are man enough, I suspect it will be extremely good.

I've only met one person who has taken courses at Chula. He studied in the Chula program for 3 months. By comparison, at the same time, I had been studying in a small language school that offered one-on-one classes with a language teacher for 3 months. I studied 3 hours/day, 5 days/week. I also did about 1-2 horus of study at night before going to bed.

Between the two of us, I spoke better Thai and it was obvious to the Thai people. As far as reading, we were about on the same level. But he was better at more academic things. For example, he knew all the names for the little tone marks and he knew all the names of some of the lesser known odd characters such as ฅ and ฃ. He knew what to call these two things ๆ / ฯ, where as I had forgotten. I only knew how to use them.

If you need to learn Thai for achademic purposes, such as for enrolling in Thai language programs at local universities or for government or missionary work, etc. then Chula may be more geared towards your needs. If you want to learn Thai more for social reasons, then there are cheaper, more entertaining ways to study Thai and still speak just as well, if not better, than people who studied at Chula.

Good luck.

Thanks for that DocJD. In all honesty, if I could find a private tutor that could teach me 5 days a week, move at a speed similar to that of Chula (provided I manage to keep up of course), cost a similar or less amount, and also be through a school which would qualify me for an Ed Visa, then I would be a very happy guy. It will be very difficult to schedule my life around the Chula course, but I was willing to make it work if I had to.

My primary goal with learning Thai I'd have to say is mainly social and personal reasons. Actually, learning a new language was one of my motivations for moving overseas. However, now that I am here... I also have thought that I would like to be able to take some classes in a Thai university someday (in Thai), and maybe work somewhere that I will need to speak Thai regularly... but I don't have any plans along those lines at the moment.

The bottom line for me is that I want to be able to read, write, speak and LISTEN effectively in Thai, well enough so that I can hang out with Thai friends and be able to keep up with and participate in conversations, chat online with my friends in Thai, etc. I already know enough to "get by", but that is definitely not my goal. I am very dedicated to studying Thai, although when I study 4+ hours by myself, I often feel that time could have been better spent if there was someone there to guide me along.

Are there any schools that have private tutors that are really on the ball? I don't want someone to come to my house and teach me a few words and blow smoke up my butt... I want someone that is going to come over 5 days a week, whip my butt into shape and not let me get away with any incorrect tones or bad grammar mistakes... I know the Chula course would be along these lines... but if anyone has recommendations for private tutors that would be also I'd love to know about them... it would sure be nice to be able to study intensely but at times that work for me instead of 10-3. :o

Thanks for that DocJD. In all honesty, if I could find a private tutor that could teach me 5 days a week, move at a speed similar to that of Chula (provided I manage to keep up of course), cost a similar or less amount, and also be through a school which would qualify me for an Ed Visa, then I would be a very happy guy. It will be very difficult to schedule my life around the Chula course, but I was willing to make it work if I had to.

Sadly, even though some of these smaller schools are certified by the Ministry of Education, they haven't a clue as to how to help students with visas.

Just so you know , there are smaller language schools such as Pathaicenter and Somchart (just add a dot com after those names) that can probably teach you one-on-one 4 hours a day for a cost that is on par with that of Chula, but they cannot get you an Ed Visa. In this case, you'd need to talk to a lawyer about getting a multiple entry visa.

Good luck with your decision.

Berlitz have some super intensive courses that can be tailor made to your requirement but very expensive.

BTW be careful if you go to their web site as google is listing it as malicious.

I recently made enquiries with Prolanguage which advertises on this board.

They can apparently help with with ED Visas.

They replied promply and efficiently to me so I have copied the relevent parts below.

I was impressed they did want to check level...more than some others.

all the best

harrry

Tuition fee for Thai intensive course 20 lessons

(at least 2 lessons/time, 1 lessons = 50 minutes)

: private = B.9,900 (You could set a

schedule by yourself)

**In case for private at your place the price is 10,000 + 2,500 (for transportation + material) = 12,500 **

: semi-private (2 students) = B.5,100 /person

: group of 4-5 students = B.3,600 / person ( Mon Wed Fri or

Tue Thu or Sat )

Tuition fee for Thai intensive course 60 lessons

: group of 4-5 students = B.9,000 / person

Starting date & confirmation:

Normally we have new classes start every week.

First, we need to check level of each student by talking with staff or our director.

Second, students need to register and pay for the tuition fee 2-3 days in advance.

Pro Language

10-01A Times Square building

Sukhumvit Rd. Soi 12-14

Klongtoey, Bangkok

Tel. 02-250-0072

[email protected]