Snakes

fred2007

Look at the website I suggested when I started the thread in the Chiang Rai Forum:

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_poisonous.html

It looks that you might have seen either a King or a Naga. The photos on the site both look a bit golden. Maybe the colour does vary a bit. The one in the boot was photographed (nearly typed shot!) by my wife so I didn't see it's head. If she killed it she never told me!

There's quite a bit of information on the Chiang Rai Forum at the moment about snakes and snake bite treatment.

Rule No 4.

If bitten, apply a "Constrictive bandage" (not a tourniquet) & avoid movement. Get medical advice promptly.

Can you explain how that would help the victim of a cobra or krait bite?

You can use the constrictive bandage to Strangle the Snake!! :o

...but the chance to see a kingcobra in real is almost impossible ...

I agree that this is the standard opinion. Not so, however, in my village on the edge of jungle where I’ve lived for 12 years. There is usually at least one large King Cobra shot each year when they come into the village (they sometimes enter houses). Our forest has many of them. I once picked up a juvenile (c.80cm) and released it back into the forest immediately behind my house.

... (take the snake with you if at all possible even if you get bitten again)...

I agree you should take the dead snake (no hospital would wish you to bring in a live specimen) with you if possible but not if you risk being bitten again. Snakes can choose not to envenomate you even whilst biting you. You could be lucky during the first bite only to suffer an envenomation during a subsequent bite.

• 1 year later...

Gary A is on the ball. Snakes just run away from people.

This includes so called nasties like Cobras, Kraits and the like.

Some of the websites listed earlier give totally false information on snakes, so I shall list a few from Australia that are in fact accurate.

The best sites with links to other authorative reptile sites are: Australasian Journal of Herpetology, Snakebusters snake shows, snake courses Australia and www.smuggled.com.

A warning in relation to those contemplating dealing with snakes. If you pick them up, you may get bit. If you walk away from them, you cannot be bitten.

Finally, the best snakebite video on the web can be seen on the link below:

http://www.smuggled.com/sbs1.htm

and notice that the world's deadliest snakes had to be forced to bite the snake man because they didn't want to!

BitVid1a.jpg

ALL THE BEST

A Dr. in Arizona described most of the snake bite victims he treated were drunk and had many tattoos. Typically this sort keeps them as a pet. If you donot meet this description not to worry.

My girl friend who lives off On Nut has had a few snakes show up in her shop house and has had a few crocs stroll by coming up from the river.

Edited by moe666

Buy rule of thumb, as I have said before . treat all snakes as killers . There are some mutant snakes without the correct markings, and different colours, leave them alone and they will leave you alone. I have seen some nasty bites that have not killed people, but have deformed them or left them in constant pain and disfigurement.