Food Allergies

Searat7

I have lived in Thailand for almost 4 years (part time) but last year I started getting bad allergic reactions to some food served in restaurants here. Have been unable to determine source of problem but I was in good shape in USA (recently) and I could eat anything on a European cruise last week... I arrive in BKK and have a red flushed face in 3 days.

Has anyone else had this problem ? I'm thinking maybe they use allot of MSG when cooking here ?

I have lived in Thailand for almost 4 years (part time) but last year I started getting bad allergic reactions to some food served in restaurants here. Have been unable to determine source of problem but I was in good shape in USA (recently) and I could eat anything on a European cruise last week... I arrive in BKK and have a red flushed face in 3 days.

Has anyone else had this problem ? I'm thinking maybe they use allot of MSG when cooking here ?

MSG is very commonly used in most restaurants serving Thai, Chinese and Japanese food. These symptoms may very well be related. It is possible to ask, when ordering food, that no MSG is used in preparation and hope for the best!

Get the Thai name for MSG (apologies, I can't recall..) and try...

MSG is very commonly used in most restaurants serving Thai, Chinese and Japanese food. These symptoms may very well be related. It is possible to ask, when ordering food, that no MSG is used in preparation and hope for the best!

Get the Thai name for MSG (apologies, I can't recall..) and try...

Thanks for input....I found out Thai name (Phong Choo Rot) for MSG and have it printed in Thai. For anyone else with MSG problems I just found a great website with good information. In this I discovered that the Diet Coke i am sometimes drinking with meals has a synergistic effect with MSG foods because it contains Aspartame- making reaction worse.

http://www.msgtruth.org/whywe.htm