George W Bush To Visit Thailand Early Next Month

george

One wonders whether 'W' will put to use the Thailand Elite Card he was given at the Bangkok APEC meeting in 2003. :o

No, it's stuffed in a shoebox in the attic that's marked "Worthless Card Collection"... alongside a 1972 Sinclair gas credit card. The shoebox sits atop the $10,000 silk shirt that Thaksin gave everyone at APEC and which "W" wrapped an oily carburetor for a '66 VW Beetle.

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will Samak be able to last till 4 August? I suppose the chance of him as Thai PM in a photo meeting the US President is a huge matter of face for him and will give him some incentive to hang on to the bitter end.

If you'll recall, meeting the US president (Clinton) during a state visit while still the Thai PM was Barnharn's reason for hanging on as long as he did while his government was crumbling.

Don't kid yourselves this is more than stopping bye to say hello the USA is looking to increase its presence in SEA.

I'll not post links. You can do your own research. Next Stop Burma

That said I doubt Bush could find Thailand on a map

I'm not sure Bush could find the USA on a world map.

The one positive to come out of this is that there will no coup until after the GWB visit. We can all relax for a couple of weeks. Anybody heard what PAD is going to do with this opportunity to be on the world stage?

Don't kid yourselves this is more than stopping bye to say hello the USA is looking to increase its presence in SEA.

I'll not post links. You can do your own research. Next Stop Burma

That said I doubt Bush could find Thailand on a map

I can hear it now:

Pres Bush: "I would like to thank my hosts, and I just want you folks to know, that I find your country, Taiwan to be very beautiful."

Freaking moron. I can only hope he gloves up in Pataya because there world does not need any more of his DNA around.

US president to visit Thailand early next month

BANGKOK: -- US President George W Bush will visit Thailand on August 4 - 7, the Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman said Sunday.

Tharit Jarungwat, director-general of the Department of Information, said the US president and the first lady will make an official visit to Thailand as the guests of the government.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej will host dinner for the US president and his wife on August 5.

The two leaders will also conduct a talk to strengthen the ties on the 175th anniversary of bilateral relationship.

Tharit said the US president would make his farewell speech for Asian before leaving office.

-- The Nation 2008-07-27

:o He will just create problems for the ones of driving thru the city. bomb scanners every place. RF supression jamming vcell phones and all the comforts of Prez Bush visit.

Here is some good news concerning the Prez Bush.

The George W Bush Presidential Library is now in the planning stages.

The Library will include:

The Hurricane Katrina Room, which is still under construction.

The Alberto Gonzales Room, where you won't be able to remember anything.

The Texas Air National Guard Room, where you don't even have to show up.

The Walter Reed Hospital Room, where they don't let you in.

The Guantanamo Bay Room, where they don't let you out.

The Weapons of Mass Destruction Room, which no one has been able to find.

The National Debt room which is huge and has no ceiling.

The 'Tax Cut' Room with entry only to the wealthy.

The 'Economy Room' which is in the toilet.

The Iraq War Room. After you complete your first tour, they make you to go back for a second, third, fourth, and sometimes fifth tour.

The Dick Cheney Room, in the famous undisclosed location, complete with shotgun gallery.

The Environmental Conservation Room, still empty.

The Supremes Gift Shop, where you can buy an election.

The Airport Men's Room, where you can meet some of your favorite Republican Senators.

The 'Decider Room' complete with dart board, magic 8-ball, Ouija board, dice, coins, and straws.

The museum will have an electron microscope to help you locate the President's accomplishments.

Some more good stuff:

Hey how about a "Let Freedom Ring" room full of telephones, cell phones and computers all wire tapped and recorded?

But I think better a door to nowhere and sign that says "The American Dream" which will be permanently locked.

And you cant leave out the Don Rumsfeld room that will feature his intelligence quotes

"I would not say that the future is necessarily less predictable than the past. I think the past was not predictable when it started."

"We do know of certain knowledge that he [Osama Bin Laden] is either in Afghanistan, or in some other country, or dead."

"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat." –on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction

"As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

"Needless to say, the President is correct. Whatever it was he said."

My Favorite!

"I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said."

Actual Quotes:

"I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., June 26, 2008

"Throughout our history, the words of the Declaration have inspired immigrants from around the world to set sail to our shores. These immigrants have helped transform 13 small colonies into a great and growing nation of more than 300 people." --George W. Bush, Charlottesville, Va., July 4, 2008

"And so the fact that they purchased the machine meant somebody had to make the machine. And when somebody makes a machine, it means there's jobs at the machine-making place." --George W. Bush, Mesa, Arizona, May 27, 2008

"A lot of times in politics you have people look you in the eye and tell you what's not on their mind." --George W. Bush, Sochi, Russia, April 6, 2008

"Wait a minute. What did you just say? You're predicting $4-a-gallon gas? ... That's interesting. I hadn't heard that." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Feb. 28, 2008

"All I can tell you is when the governor calls, I answer his phone." --George W. Bush, San Diego, Calif., Oct. 25, 2007

"You know, when you give a man more money in his pocket -- in this case, a woman more money in her pocket to expand a business, it -- they build new buildings. And when somebody builds a new building somebody has got to come and build the building. And when the building expanded it prevented additional opportunities for people to work." --George W. Bush, Lancaster, Pa., Oct. 3, 2007

"I heard somebody say, 'Where's (Nelson) Mandela?' Well, Mandela's dead. Because Saddam killed all the Mandelas." --George W. Bush, on the former South African president, who is still very much alive, Washington, D.C., Sept. 20, 2007

"I'm going to try to see if I can remember as much to make it sound like I'm smart on the subject." --George W. Bush, answering a question about a possible flu pandemic, Cleveland, July 10, 2007

"And one thing we want during this war on terror is for people to feel like their life's moving on, that they're able to make a living and send their kids to college and put more money on the table." --George W. Bush, interview on the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, Jan. 16, 2007

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

My favorite of favorites.

"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

:D

I guess this means that the Amity Treaty is still going to around for a while yet. Good news for any Yanks doing business in Thailand. I guess all those naysayers were wrong.

You've got to hand it to GW in one all important aspect; the US hasn't been attacked at home or abroad since 9/11. Refreshing I think to have a leader not buckle to public pressure and opinion polls. Moral of this story is, the best defense is a strong offense!

"The Environmental Conservation Room, still empty." (because of asbestos removal)

"The Airport Men's Room, where you can meet some of your favorite Republican Senators." (Cold)

Don't forget the 9/11 room where they show the tape of him sitting in the classroom during the attack over and over again.

He's the Yogi Berra of Presidents, and quite an embarrassment. Is he the one who couldn't spell potatoe?

"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

Did he really say that? Is it out of context? How did they manage to get that quote?

Edited by Shotime

Update: US President and his wife will visit Thailand as guests of the Royal Thai Government

President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush will visit Thailand as guests of the Royal Thai Government from August 6-7, 2008.

A Ministry of Foreign Affairs press release says President Bush is scheduled to meet with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej at Government House on August 6. Prime Minister Samak will also host a dinner in honor of President Bush.

On August 7, President Bush is scheduled to deliver a major policy speech on Asia, before completing his term in January 2009, at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center. Afterward, President Bush will visit the Mercy Center, a non-profit organization working for children in Klong Toey, established by Father Joseph Maier, an American Catholic priest, since 1974.

President Bush is the 43rd President of the United States. He was inaugurated as President in 2001, and re-elected for a second term in 2004. President Bush paid a State Visit to Thailand from October 18 to 19, 2003 before attending the 11th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders' Meeting in Bangkok from October 20 to 21, 2003.

This visit to Thailand is a part of President Bush's Asian visit before completing his term and to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the Thai-US relations. After his Thailand visit, President Bush will travel to China to attend the Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Olympic Games.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 July 2008

US President to reach Thailand this evening

Spokesman for the Office of the Prime Minister Police Lieutenant General Wichianchote Sukchotirat (วิเชียรโชติ สุกโชติรัตน) revealed that at approximately 7 PM tonight the President of the United of States of America George W. Bush will arrive in Thailand to meet with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej at the Government House. The two leaders will hold a joint press conference after their meeting followed by a dinner.

The US President is scheduled to give a speech at the Queen Sirikit Center on Thursday as the PM makes his way to the People's Republic of China to take audience with Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

The PM will join Her Royal Highness in a meal with Thai athletes and Chinese representatives before returning on Saturday.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 August 2008

President Bush and First Lady Laura Bush visits Thailand from August 6-7

United States President George W. Bush, and First Lady Mrs. Laura Bush will be visiting Thailand from August 6 to 7, prior to attending the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games in Beijing.

President Bush and First Lady Laura Bush are visiting Thailand as part of the President's commitment to visit Asian nations before completing his term in office. The visit to Thailand is aimed at strengthening 175 years of relations between Thailand and the United States. The President and the First Lady will be traveling to Government House today (August 6) to hold talks with Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej (สมัคร สุนทรเวช), and will be attending a dinner hosted by Mr. Samak in honor of their visit.

On August 7, the President is scheduled to visit the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center to give a major policy speech, concerning the United States' policy towards the Asian Pacific region. President Bush will travel to Mercy Center, an adolescent aid center in the Klong Toei (คลองเตย ) community, before visiting the American embassy in Bangkok.

President Bush will then depart Thailand for the People's Republic of China.

Border patrol police in Tak step up security for U.S. First Lady’s visit

The Border Patrol Police in Tak province steps up security in preparation for a visit by the U.S. President George W. Bush’s wife, Mrs Laura Bush. The first lady will be traveling to the province to meet Mrs Cynthia Maung tomorrow.

Police officers from the 346 border patrol office in Mae Sot district, Tak province, have arrested Burmese illegal immigrants and raided the border zone for weapons. They have also inspected suspicious people in various communities in Muang Mae Sot Municipality and have set up checkpoints to examine weapons and the border pass of immigrants in the province.

Mrs Bush is scheduled to visit Tak to meet Mrs Maung, a Burmese volunteer physician who received the 2002 Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership, on August 7th. Mrs Maung runs a clinic in the province to treat Burmese patients in the border zone.

5th Metropolitan Police Division guards Four Seasons Hotel in preparation for US President's visit

The 5th Metropolitan Police Division has erected metal barriers and deployed a number of police officers at the Four Seasons Hotel to ensure the security of US President George H.W. Bush, and First Lady Laura Bush who will be arriving in Thailand at 18:00 today (August 6).

Uniformed officers conducted a thorough examination of the hotel, and had one prisoner detention vehicle standing by to prepare for possible protesters who may demonstrate in the area. Four Seasons Hotel employees declined to comment on hotel security preparations or in which room the President and First Lady will be residing in.

Meanwhile the Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Special Branch, Pol. Lt. Gen. Theradat Rodphotong (ธีระเดช รอดโพธิ์ทอง), has instructed Special Branch officers to assist the Metropolitan Police in securing locations in which the President will visit. Special Branch officers will also be tasked with mobile protection duties during the President's travels in Thailand.

Tak province accommodates US security personnel guarding First Lady

Tak Governor Chumphon Phonrak (ชุมพร พลรักษ์) reports that First Lady Laura Bush will be visiting Mae Sot (แม่สอด) district and Song Yang Port (ท่าสองยาง) in Tak province. More than 100 American security units will be guarding the First Lady, while Thai military and police personnel will be deployed at Mae Sot (แม่สอด) Airport, along the First Lady's motorcade route, and at locations on her travel itinerary.

First Lady Laura Bush will be visting the Mae Tao Clinic (คลินิกแม่ตาว), which provides public health and educational services to Burmese refugees. She will also meet with over 60,000 war refugees in Tha Song Yang district (ท่าสองยาง). Border sources report that Thai and US officials are exercising extreme security precautions due to the proximity of the First Lady's visit to Burma, which was boycotted by the United States for human rights abuse.

Press correspondents who have not received prior approval from US security officials will not be allowed to cover the First Lady's visit.

I agree US and Thailand good relations is a good thing.

Yet you feel obligated to constantly slam the very people who are now in Thailand out of international good will to help the relationship prosper.

Why is Bush going to the opening ceremony of the Olympics? He speaks criticism and then honors them, kind of a chicken thing to do.

As Bush has said in many recent speeches and press inteviews, he is going to support the US athletes and to support the event as the athletic competition that it should be, rather than make it into a major political event as you apparently feel compelled to do.

I suggest people get a hold of a copy of the tv movie Recount if they wish to relive the horror of the Bush theft of the presidency.

http://www.hbo.com/films/recount/

Believe what you want to believe, but here are a few of several things that the movie chose not to cover:

- The State of Florida offered to Gore to perform a comprehensive statewide recount. Instead, Gore declined and chose to pursue recounts in only four counties, all of which are heavily Democrat. As is well documented, Gore's own people later acknowledge this decision to be a serious mistake.

- There is documented evidence (e.g., the Mark Herron memo) that Gore people were active in every Florida county trying to get military absentee ballots disqualified. In other words, Gore pursued the recount to get votes thrown out, not to ensure that all votes were counted.

- By taking the case to the Florida Supreme Court, the Gore directly tried to bypass the relevant state election laws. The Florida Supreme Court tried incorrectly to modify existing law, TWICE, not once as shown in the movie. This action was correctly over-ruled by the US Supreme Court TWICE, not once as shown in the movie.

- Gore had many other options available to further pursue his claim for the presidency, but he chose to concede defeat. Many of his people wanted to continue the fight, but he chose to concede. Why? If there was any chance to win election to the most powerful political position in the world, why concede? There is only one very simple answer. Because he didn't secure enough votes to win. The election was lost, then conceded, and obviously not stolen as the blatantly pro-Democrat Party central theme in the movie implies.

As Justice Scalia so briefly yet eloquently stated "Get over it."

Now back to the original topic again. Let's hope that US-Thai, UK-Thai and AUS-Thai relations continue to grow and prosper. It is good for stability in the country. It is good for the stability of the region. And it is certainly good for many of us.

As "The Man" said you are with us or you are with the terrorists ! Simple. Chock Dee.

You are absolutely correct - doesn't get any simpler than GW!

Yes life can be simple, we live on a rock that flows through the universe. It is made complicated by small minds and big egos that seek to enslave. The USA has saved Europe from Facism and Communism. Both enslave and rob people of human rights. You have the right to bash the President of the USA on the internet. Try bashing the President of China on the internet. If you live in China you will be in prison tomorrow. We face another global threat now! Your choice!!!

What world do want your children to enjoy 10 or 20 years from now?

" UP TO YOU". Chok Dee.

Bush to visit 'Father Joe of Klong Toey'

US President George Bush will visit a Catholic priest who has been running a non-profit organization working for children in Klong Toey, according to a printing house.

John Wiley & Sons quoted its author Greg Barrett as saying Bush and the US first lady will visit Father Joseph Maier, an American Catholic priest during Bush's visit to Bangkok on August 6 and 7.

The visit will take place at the Mercy Center, a non-profit organization working for children in Klong Toey, established in 1974.

Barrett is the author of " THE GOSPEL OF FATHER JOE: Revolutions and Revelations in the Slums of Bangkok".

The Nation

While I am sure we all find US politics and George Bush an endless source of interest and debate it tends to lead to flaming and abuse -- so while we don't need to restrict ourselves to schedules etc, the endless discussion of events of past years really has no relevance to this visit.

While I am sure we all find US politics and George Bush an endless source of interest and debate it tends to lead to flaming and abuse -- so while we don't need to restrict ourselves to schedules etc, the endless discussion of events of past years really has no relevance to this visit.

Isn't that a bit like saying history was irrelevant atthe time Nelson Mandela was released from prison, orwhen Margaret Thatcher visited the falklands.

Surely, past actions (or an individual's view of them) has relevance to the visit of a President ?

I speak quite confidently for the vast majority of Americans: we don't like George W Bush and his presidency has been a miserable FAILURE. The smart history money is that he has been the worst president ever. Our people are now much poorer overall and we have been disgraced internationally. Even his own party's pall bearer has now admitted the American people are much worse off under Bush. We deserve better. Welcome to Bangkok, you wanke_r!

The reality is, diplomatic visit or not, Bush is not just another American president. He is a historically unpopular and deeply damaging president, at home and abroad.

Edited by Jingthing

I speak quite confidently for the vast majority of Americans: we don't like George W Bush and his presidency has been a miserable FAILURE. Our people are now much poorer overall and we have been disgraced internationally. Welcome to Bangkok!

Harsh, but fair. I think you will find that most of us non-Americans don't actually hold the American people responsible - remember, a majority in Britain voted for Tony Blair :o

Isn't that a bit like saying history was irrelevant atthe time Nelson Mandela was released from prison, orwhen Margaret Thatcher visited the falklands.

Surely, past actions (or an individual's view of them) has relevance to the visit of a President ?

Discussion of US politics and policies inevitably leads to flaming, warnings, and suspensions for posters who can't seem to keep debate impersonal.

Thai Demonstrators

Thanks for the pix. From the photos, it appears there were barely enough people to qualify for plural over singular classification of the noun. There aren't that many police shown but it appears they clearly outnumber the protesters, although I suspect a different spin in the mass media.

Edit.

BTW, a link to the President's speech:

http://absolutelybangkok.com/the-bush-bangkok-speech/

Two thumbs up!

Edited by Spee