George W Bush To Visit Thailand Early Next Month

george

30079965-01.jpg

Outgoing US President George Bush and his wife, Laura, wave upon arrival at a Bangkok Airport to start his two-day official visit on Wednesday. Behind him was his daughter; Barbara.

30079996-01.jpg

Visiting US President George Bush (L) speaks after meeting with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej on Wednesday.

30080014-01.jpg

US President George Bush makes a gesture during his speech at Queen Sirikit Convention Centre on Thursday.

Source: The Nation - 07 August 2008

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speech of US President George Bush

US President George Bush delivers a speech at Queen Sirikit Convention Centre on August 7, 2008.

Sawasdee Krub,

Laura and I are delighted to be back in Bangkok. We appreciate the gracious welcome extended by His Majesty the King and Her Majesty the Queen.

Above all, I bring America's warmest wishes to our oldest allies in Asia - the people of Thailand. Our friendship began 175 years ago this spring, when President Andrew Jackson dispatched an envoy to Siam. Negotiators soon concluded a treaty of peace and commerce and sealed it with a lotus flower on one side and an eagle and stars on the other. Generations of close friendship followed. At one point, the Thai King offered to send elephants to America. President Abraham Lincoln had to politely decline.

The values of freedom and openness that gave birth to our alliance have sustained it through the centuries. American troops and the Royal Thai Armed Forces have stood united from Korea and Vietnam to Afghanistan and Iraq. Our free market economies have surged forward on a rising tide of trade and investment. Tourism has boomed, as more people discover this beautiful and ancient land. And some 200,000 Thai Americans now enrich my Nation with their enterprise, culture, and faith.

On this historic anniversary of our alliance, America looks to Thailand as a leader in the region and a partner around the world. I was proud to designate Thailand a major non-NATO ally of the United States. And I salute the Thai people on the restoration of democracy, which has proved that liberty and law reign here in the "Land of the Free."

The full transcript of Mr Bush's speech can be read here on The Nation website.

His visit provides a diversion from the usual nonsense going in the country. At least folks will have something else to complain about.

Now, I hope there isn't a coup before he lands in Bejing!

r113901916.jpg

First Daughter Barbara Bush prepares to board Air Force One with her parents for a three-nation (Korea, Thailand, and China) tour of Asia.

REUTERS

r3646715944.jpg

U.S. President George W. Bush's daughter Barbara arrives in Bangkok. Bush is on a two-day official visit to Thailand before travelling to Beijing for the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games.

REUTERS

r113901916.jpg

First Daughter Barbara Bush prepares to board Air Force One with her parents for a three-nation (Korea, Thailand, and China) tour of Asia.

REUTERS

r3646715944.jpg

U.S. President George W. Bush's daughter Barbara arrives in Bangkok. Bush is on a two-day official visit to Thailand before travelling to Beijing for the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games.

REUTERS

You're a busy man Sriracha John, very busy indeed. :o

LaoPo :D