Beware Of Taxi Meters!

Andy76

It's beyond me that people complain that taxis (using their meters) can be expensive in Bangkok. And I'm rather embarassed by someone posting here that an increase is an outrage, when it's the first one in years.

The OP gives farangs in Thailand a bad name with that penny-pinching 'every is out to get me' attitude.

Roll on much more strict visa legislation.

That last sentence has shown you up for what you are.

a cynic?

And you dare criticizing the OP? :o

were you enraged by swifts modest proposal?

Edited by t.s

Any taxi driver who is willing to pick me up from the center of Bangkok, when I'm 'three sheets to the wind' and drive me back to my home near Don Meuang, at 1.30 in the morning, is worth every satang of the 200 baht fare, IMHO. :o

It's beyond me that people complain that taxis (using their meters) can be expensive in Bangkok. And I'm rather embarassed by someone posting here that an increase is an outrage, when it's the first one in years.

The OP gives farangs in Thailand a bad name with that penny-pinching 'every is out to get me' attitude.

That last sentence has shown you up for what you are.

A realist? Someone who says what he thinks? Someone bored of hearing constant griping and whinging from people who fail to see the big picture and who fail to realise that 'things aint what they are back 'ome."

Oh . . please!

Well i for one think the buggers are very poorly paid. When working in BKK the taxi ride back to my apartment is 47 Baht. I always give 100 Baht, the boys seem happy. BUT, if ever i get in a taxi when they don't put the meter on and say it will be 100 Baht to the hotel (normally they dont have an ID card in the taxi either), i tell them to F Off and let me out the car. Its my perogative to be generous, but i hate being ripped off as a farang/tourist target. I always pay the genuine taxi drivers generously. I went for a meeting recently to look at buying a business, the guy who was hosting me got the taxi fare, it was 45 baht, he gave the taxi driver a 50, and sat in the front with his hand out saying '5 baht change, 5 baht change' to the driver who was clearly struggling to find a 5 baht coin, the delay was almost 1 min whilst the guy waited to be paid 5 x 1 baht coins in change. I was so embarrassed i told him to shove his business where the sun doesn't shine.

I've got a lovely little business you might be interested in Tigs, I only want 47m Baht for it but if you want to give me 100 mil... :o

Marvo

It's all down to scale mate :o If your business is 47 Million Baht, then i wouldn't class you as one of the poorly paid now would I? So I would be offering you 30 M instead.

But if you were in a Taxi, with me about to potentially buy your business (for the going rate of course!), would you sit shouting at a Taxi driver for 5 Baht change??

I honestly find the Taxis in BKK to be improving all the time. A few years ago, they would not put on the meter for love nor money. Now, if you are polite but firm [looking smartish and speaking a little Thai moves mountains] you should not have too much bother if any at all.

Marvo

But if you were in a Taxi, with me about to potentially buy your business (for the going rate of course!), would you sit shouting at a Taxi driver for 5 Baht change??

Of course, you're absolutely right mate. :o

Andy, please never take a Taxi in Tokyo, you'll have a heart attack for sure.

If you find Taxi's putting up their fares daunting after the massive increase in the price of fuel, then I doubt very much you have ever owned a car and had to pay for fuel yourself.

Try taking a taxi in Australia, ten times more for the fare, and they drive so slow to increase the charge. In Bangkok very reasonable

Yes, I understand that there has been a recent increase in metered taxis approved recently and I am happy because now my brother in-law in BKK can start to make a better living. (And hopefully pay me back sooner than expected for the loan I provided for his new taxi.)

As for the OP's concern, there are taxi rip offs. I had experienced one personally a few years back. I took a taxi once a month from the same hotel near Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi. I did this for almost 2 years so I knew what price to expect from the taxi meter. Well one time the meter was almost double what it should have been. When I mentioned this to the driver (in English) he denied this. When I threatened to call the police on my mobile (in Thai) he immediately begged for my forgiveness implying that the meter was broken and almost started crying. We negotiated on a reasonable price and I went on my merry way.

I had the same on a taxi journey I used to do regularly in BKK, so knew the price. One day it was a lot more than normal. I just laughed and asked him what he'd done to the meter. We agreed on a price (the one I normally pay) and I was on my way. He also offered me a can of iced coffee he had in the car for free, so I guess he was feeling guilty. However, I'm sure I've been caught out on journeys I don't do regularly.

• 3 weeks later...

Even worse the BMTA had the audacity to increase the bus fares. On my ride from BTS Ladprao to The Mall Bangkapi I HAD TO PAY AN EXTRA 2 BAHT, OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Not like the "bargain" I get at the home base in Arizona. $60USD from the airport to home (20km) Plus they always want a tip.

Pull your head out. You should have known the taxi meter increase was coming if you pay any attention on TV.

Now someone give me my 2 baht. No one here ever said anything about the buses :o

What the hel_l is wrong with some of you guys?

:D

Ok, the OP should have done some searching here before he posted.

But the OP did not attack any of you guys.

He simply posted something that should have been researched a little bit better.

And maybe he deserves a little bit spanking for that.

But that goes for many of you guys as well.

Maybe you too should have read through some of the posts before you started to write your replies.

Ohh yessss, here we have one more we can jointly riddicule.

Mob mentality!

Nothing less than mob mentality.

Shame on you guys.

:o

Why don't we change the topic ?

Hands up for your guys who like taxis, I never ever can complain about the price I was being charged, I never ever complain about anything else. In my opinion the taxi service in Thailand is the best and also

the cheapest.( I mean that ) You try to book a taxi in Perth, you need to do that by phone you can not stop a taxi on the road like you can here. And they charge you about 120 baht just to get in.

( maybe more now) Just let those guys make a living.Most drivers have to hire they,r taxis it is not ther,r own. Stop winging

Hands up for your guys who like taxis, I never ever can complain about the price I was being charged, I never ever complain about anything else. In my opinion the taxi service in Thailand is the best and also

the cheapest.( I mean that ) You try to book a taxi in Perth, you need to do that by phone you can not stop a taxi on the road like you can here. And they charge you about 120 baht just to get in.

( maybe more now) Just let those guys make a living.Most drivers have to hire they,r taxis it is not ther,r own. Stop winging

Only problem I sometimes have with the taxis here is that we have to ask the driver if it is ok with him (or her) to drive to a certain destination. Often, they will say no, if they know they can have many shorter trips instead.

This I also experienced in the Philippines a few times.

Once in a while I experience the "sorry I took the wrong turn" trick. But that does not happen often.

All in all, Im quite satisfied with the taxis here.

Cheap, polite, and fast.

Dear All,

Over the last 3 years since living in Thailand I have noticed an increasing percentage of Taxi Drivers adjusting the meter of the taxis. Most of us are aware that as soon as you get in the car, it should read 35 baht. And then after 2KM increase 2 baht every kilometer depending on stops.

However tonight (27th July) I took a taxi to Tesco and normally costs 51 baht. On the return it would cost me 60 baht due to a U-Turn. Though tonight's return on the same distance with no traffic cost me 75 baht! I know its not a big difference but if your used to a average price this can be a daunting thing happening. I am very sure that when Taxis see a farang the flip a switch inside the cab and has a higher rate or the meter is fixed!

So guys, be aware and here is a golden rule. Check the meter every Kilometer and if your traveling around Bangkok, it should not cost you no more than 100 baht if in a local area. I remember once I had to travel 24 Kilometers everyday and cost me 135 baht with no traffic or stops.

Andy

Somebody please give me strength? You say an increase of 15 bt on your taxi fair is 'daunting'? daunting??

I'm from the UK and the prices there for a cab are astronimacal nowdays,so instwad of griping and being 'daunted' you should be grateful.

JOHN2

yeah, you are from the UK earning a UK salary, enough said...

Only problem I sometimes have with the taxis here is that we have to ask the driver if it is ok with him (or her) to drive to a certain destination. Often, they will say no, if they know they can have many shorter trips instead.

This I also experienced in the Philippines a few times.

Once in a while I experience the "sorry I took the wrong turn" trick. But that does not happen often.

All in all, Im quite satisfied with the taxis here.

Cheap, polite, and fast.

:o:D:D:D