Easy Question - Best Used Phone To Buy On Ebay To Bring To Thailand/phuket

jbeck

Aloha,

I'd like to buy a used phone and get it programmed, buy SIM, minutes, etc when I get to Phuket.

Can anyone recommend a specific model phone around $50-$60 used that will work for this purpose?

Also a good phone store in Kata center to bring the phone to?

I really don't want to know how it works, or why, just let the store do all that.

And if I buy a used phone with no service, is the unlocking thing going to be an issue and can the store fix that?

I was told my samsung A900 would NOT work, but it was sprint that told me that. Maybe they only meant that sprint service won't work.

Thanks so much!

Jeff Beck ,

Hawaii

I would just wait until you arrive in Thailand and then purchase a low-end new phone or possibly a used one. There are literally thousands of mobile shops here and you will have no problem finding a phone. Maybe purchase and activate a known good SIM, then use that to test used phones that are of interest to you. Maybe buy a really cheap used phone first then wait to determine your future requirements (connectivity, memory, data, etc.). If you insist on buying a phone on eBay in the U.S.A. look for the following in the description: "Unlocked", "GSM 900/1800", "SIM".

Your Samsung phone (SPH-a900/Sprint) will not work in Thailand, nothing can be done to it to make it work. End of story.

I have a little cheap Nokia 1200. It cost less than $35. I use my good Nokia E51 for Dtac EDGE and put the AIS card in the cheap phone. For about $35 you can have a new phone actually made for Thailand that will work on the three biggest networks. For $35, it's not worth the trouble to buy maybe a problem phone off eBay.

I would just wait until you arrive in Thailand and then purchase a low-end new phone or possibly a used one. There are literally thousands of mobile shops here and you will have no problem finding a phone. Maybe purchase and activate a known good SIM, then use that to test used phones that are of interest to you. Maybe buy a really cheap used phone first then wait to determine your future requirements (connectivity, memory, data, etc.). If you insist on buying a phone on eBay in the U.S.A. look for the following in the description: "Unlocked", "GSM 900/1800", "SIM".

Your Samsung phone (SPH-a900/Sprint) will not work in Thailand, nothing can be done to it to make it work. End of story.

The reason I wanted to get a phone on ebay was that I thought it was super expensive to buy one in Phuket/Kata beach to be specific.

I'll be there for 3 weeks - also chiang mai and bangkok - and may be back for more trips. Someone pointed out a 'decent' phone was USD$500.

I only need something used that will get me by - to call friends, hotels, tour reservations - I don't need a really nice phone like I have at home.

And you're saying any phone store will do? A recommendation won't help? Prices are all similar?

thanks.

OK, as you dribble out details you make things a bit more complicated. I sort of assumed you were moving here.

Anyway prices here are about the same as eBay given today's exchange rates.

You can buy a new low-end phone here for less than 2,000 THB.

Nokia 1200: 1,100 THB

Nokia 1208: 1,200 THB

Nokia 1209: 1,400 THB

Nokia 1650: 1,600 THB

On the low-end there is obviously not a huge difference in pricing from various retail outlets. Mid-tier and top-of-the-line hand-sets are cheapest at the wholesale (box) shops in MBK, a huge shopping mall in Bangkok. One shop, in the vast mobile phone area at MBK (4th floor), called NASA, typically has the lowest prices, verified by the huge crowds of people at this shop.

Also, you will have to purchase a pre-paid SIM card for you phone. Basic kits are 199/250 THB with some promotion/bargain SIMs as little as 59 THB. You'll alos have to choose a promotions (aka a calling plan) and top-up (add value to) your SIM.

Have bought about 10 phones for own use and "welcome to Thailand" gifts for friends and family (a few bought in Phuket Town). Never paid more than US$150 -- most bought for about $50-60.

Only advice is look for a deal. The first phone I bought was a little Motorola for 2,500 baht, including SIM card. It came with 1,500 baht worth of phone time. I had to use it in one month, so there was a few calls home.

There's used phones on the fourth floor of MBK (Bangkok) for 300 baht, with SIM card. I'm sure they work fine.

Apple i-phone 3G. Sell it when you go back.

I'll arrive and go straight to Kata Beach, that's why I asked about a phone store THERE.

If I can get a 50-60 dollar phone (USD) that's fine - I won't have 2 many calls to make.

I'll just let a phone store set me up -

Here i have a Samsung Instinct - I'm guessing that won't work either?

Thanks for all the great advice!

Jeff

Here i have a Samsung Instinct - I'm guessing that won't work either?

Sprint phones are CDMA. You would need something GSM in Thailand. Anyway, US carriers do not take kindly to opening their phones. Otherwise I would have an iPhone in hand before my trip to Thailand.

Good luck