Firefox

francois

You can also use the extensionTweak Network Settings.

Here's a good extension - SessionSaver. You can kill Firefox after saving your session, and when you start it again, all the tabs are there: everything you were looking at before is back again! Excellent.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=166

Oooo... that does sound good.... might have to have a look at that one... :o

totster :D

This is a handy extension if you'd like to be able to save what you're writing on a web forum like Thai Visa. Just Ctrl+S and it saves what you're writing like when using Word.

Scribe

Along the same lines as Session Saver is Undo Close Tab

Handy for when you kill the wrong tab. 

Already got UndoCloseTab - invaluable, especially if your middle button click instantly closes a tab, and you click on the wrong one!

Also look at "Tabbrowser Preferences" - you get a whole load of extra options. The best one for me is that when I click on a Thaivisa link in the emails from TV, I get a new tab in my current session of Firefox. Before, I used to get a new instance of Firefox which was a real pain to manage. I'd have a dozen or more Firefoxes running!

OK, now I'm off to have a look at "Scribe" - looks like another 'what I've always wanted' type of extension. I currently copy and paste into notepad if I want to save an important post for finishing later. :o

RDN, I'm using a MOOX version of Firefox 1.0 RC1 from a couple of weeks back and Scribe works with that. :)

I'm giving it another week or so before l upgrade. When Spellchecker broke an earlier MOOX l was using l tried 3 different versions of Firefox but kept having problems with extensions that were yet to be updated. In the end l just gave up on Spellchecker and also Menu Editor, too many problems. :D I installed the latest version of MOOX that was stable and stuck to proven extensions. :wub: It's been a little easier this time around because now MOOX tells you upfront if an extension isn't compatible, whereas before it let you install but crashed and burned when when you tried to use Spellchecker etc. :o

If you look on sites like Extension Mirror you'll find some posts on how to hack your .rdf file so that some extensions can be made to work. It just involves changing one entry but l'm happy with what l'm using right now and besides, l've had enough of playing around with Firefox just to get certain items working (for now :() . Like l said, another week or two and l'll fire up a new version and see how l go. :) I see at Extension Mirror they now have a very detailed list as to what extensions work with the latest Firefox, saves having to find out for yourself. (as you can tell, no problems using BBCode) :D:D:D

I've tried a few of the tabs extensions available but they always seemed to mess up other extensions. TabBrowser Extensions seemed the best one but just conflicts with too many other things for me to ever try it again. I just use a few small tab extensions now, like Undo Close tab etc. and find l can do things the way l want anyway. -_-

sabaijai, Opera for me has one problem, and it's the same problem people always bring up about Firefox and that is that it won't work with certain websites. For me there are two websites that l use daily that flat out refuse to work with Opera and an e-mail to one site got a reply that they had so few Opera users that they weren't prepared to put in the time to make something work for so few people.

It's been a while since l've used Opera and because of the reasons l gave it isn't something l'll be using again, but tell me, on the free version do you still get the adverts? If so, then that can't help its popularity when most other free browsers are ad free.

I have returned to Firefox after going back to IE6 when the .9x versions would not display many of the sites I needed. Since return have not had any site not display and it even downloaded my bank site new PDF statements (which was crashing IE6). Everything on this site seems to be working normally. I bought MicroSpell earlier and use that for all applications. Now that Firefox has some directions find that center scroll can be pressed to tab so happy camper. It still seems to take longer than IE6 to boot up (about 20 seconds) but don't make the mistake of closing it as often.

to really tweak your firefox browser in the address bar type about:config

I first did this to stop malformed jpegs being displayed but found some more info today which should speed up you browser

Disclaimer: This is not, and is not intended to be, a firefox vs. Opera thread. The following are simply some basic guidelines for increasing firefox performance, and is not meant to be a comparison of any kind! :o

I've heard it said, here and other places, that Opera is the fastest browser available. It is fast - there's no denying that - but there are ways to make firefox render pages every bit as quickly, with just a few easy "tweaks." I had thought these adjustments were pretty well-known, but it's beginning to seem as though they may not be. So I thought it was worthwhile to bring these "hidden settings" more into the light.

To get started, type "about:config" in your firefox address bar. The settings you're looking for are:

1.) network.http.pipelining

2.) network.http.pipelining.firstrequest

3.) network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

4.) network.http.proxy.pipelining

5.) nglayout.ititialpaint.delay

Set #1, #2, and #4 to "true". Set #3 to a high number, like 32. Set #5 to 0.

Enabling the pipelining features allows the browser to make multiple requests to the server at the same time. The "maxrequests" is the maximum number of requests it will send at once. I've heard that 8 is the most it will send at once, but setting it higher won't hurt, just in case. The initialpaint.delay is the length of time (in milliseconds) after the server response before the browser begins to paint the page.

Adjusting those settings will help pages render much faster in firefox. In fact, my own observations have been that, tweaked in this manner, firefox will render faster than Opera (and yes, I realize that others may experience different results).

The firefox Tuning thread ( http://www.webmasterworld.com/red.cgi?f=21...pic.php?t=53650 ) over at Mozillazine has more information for different connection speeds, etc.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/8007.htm

Please do not enter about:config unless you know what you are doing. I recommend that you use the network adjuster located at http://www.bitstorm.org/extensions/ It will do the same but it is safer to use.

sabaijai, Opera for me has one problem, and it's the same problem people always bring up about Firefox and that is that it won't work with certain websites. For me there are two websites that l use daily that flat out refuse to work with Opera and an e-mail to one site got a reply that they had so few Opera users that they weren't prepared to put in the time to make something work for so few people.

It's been a while since l've used Opera and because of the reasons l gave it isn't something l'll be using again, but tell me, on the free version do you still get the adverts? If so, then that can't help its popularity when most other free browsers are ad free.[/color]

yeah, i keep MS IE installed on my system for the occasional - pretty rare actually - site that won't work for Opera. You can set Opera up so that it tells the website it engages with that it's MS IE or Mozilla, too, That doesn't always solve the problem, but often does.

There are no more picture adss on on opera, but there's a single line of text Google adds near the top of the page.

With Mozilla can you type Thai fonts OK? That's another problem with Opera, you can view Thai fonts on the Web but if you try to write in Thai, say to post to the Thai Language section of this forum, you can't do it.

With Mozilla can you type Thai fonts OK? That's another problem with Opera, you can view Thai fonts on the Web but if you try to write in Thai, say to post to the Thai Language section of this forum, you can't do it.

Hi,

Thai fonts work ok in Firefox: สวัสดีครับ (typed in Firefox 1.0).

Isn't Opera faster than Firefox? I've been using Opera for a couple of years and love the speed, tabbed pages, other stuff it looks like Firefox 1.0 may have copied.

I use Opera, currently v7.54, and I don't have problems with it. It works with all my regular sites including online banking.

I've used Opera for several years now and am very happy with it.

I downloaded Firefox the other week to see what everyone was raving about but went back to Opera. Opera does it better.

Isn't Opera faster than Firefox? I've been using Opera for a couple of years and love the speed, tabbed pages, other stuff it looks like Firefox 1.0 may have copied.

I use Opera, currently v7.54, and I don't have problems with it. It works with all my regular sites including online banking.

I downloaded Firefox the other week to see what everyone was raving about but went back to Opera. Opera does it better.

That's good to hear, as I'd rather stick with Opera.

One question, though, does anyone know if there's a way to adjust Opera so that you can write Thai fonts? I can read Thai fonts fine on Opera, but can't write them.

One question, though, does anyone know if there's a way to adjust Opera so that you can write Thai fonts? I can read Thai fonts fine on Opera, but can't write them.

There I can't help you, as I can't write Thai, I've not hit that problem!

That's a pity - if Opera can't use Thai fonts. I was going to try Opera because the total shock of discovering a browser that is so much better than Internet Explorer made me want to try more browsers. I think I will try it, when I have time, because so many people on this forum rate it so highly.

I like Firefox, but have to hit "view, text size, increase" everytime I log on. I've fiddled with font sizes in "options,'' but no joy.

Is there any way I can have this increased viewing automatically take place when I log on?

I just increased the text size, exited Firefox, and re-started it - and it went back to the normal size. So I don't know what you can do to make it start up with a big text size.

But I do know an easy way to increase text size - that is, without using "CTRL - + ".

I have installed the "Mouse Gestures" extension and have defined the "drag up" gesture as "increase text size" and the "drag down" gesture as "decrease text size". It's extremely useful in the Thai language forum :o

This should fix the text size issue:....

Certainly did! Thanks Highwayman :o

PS. I'd be interested to know what other settings you use under Fonts and Colours, eg. in "Fonts for:" there are four Proportional, Serif, Sans-serif and Monospace, and there is "Display resolution".

I played around with these a long time ago, and obviously changed them from their default settings.

Do you have a preference here?

Cheers

RDN

RDN, just using the standard fonts l think at the moment, although l have played around with them in the past. The problem with changing them too much is that while you can get one website to look great, another will look worse. Same with playing around with the colors, better to leave the default settings l found unless you have a vision problem with certain colors. Standard looks good to me. :o

Serif

Times New Roman

Arial

Courier New

To get the Display Resolution correct just click on the drop down arrow and select other where you can fine tune it. Mine is set at 82dpi but 96 dpi is standard. Can't see much difference myself.

• 1 month later...