Bit Of Help Please Regarding Teachng - Beginner

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum & this is my first post.

Firstly & foremost, I appreciate that I could probably scroll down the pages and find some answers to the questions I am about to ask, but thought I would bunch them together. Any help would be much appreciated - thanks in advance.

I am a 24 year old Englishman who is thinking about coming to Thailand to undertake some teaching next year. I have been to Thailand twice before (once on holiday & once travelling last year when i finished university for three months) and would really like some advise as to whether or not it is worth thinking about. I am aware of the tightening rules for teaching English these days but if at all possible, would like to persue my aspirations to do so.

I plan to arrive in Thailand and carry out an accredited TEFL (or similar) before applying for a job. I do have a degree but it is a BSc (Hons) in Building Surveying as well as an HND in Construction Management. I know ideally a Degree in Education would be the best for getting work, but i am wondering whether my degree would help at all & show my credentials for willingness to learn.

I suppose my first question would be; Do I stand any chance of being able to find a job teaching? I really don't mind what grade, it could be youngsters as far as i am concerned, perhaps 7-12 age range. I really am not fussy, I just want to break my normal routine and do something good whilst I am young.

I would also like to know whether a wage is realistic. I am not doing it to make money. It would however be nice to break even from month to month!!!

Also is there as much work going as I have read?

If anyone could help, I will be very greatful.

Many thanks.,,,,,Mike

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum & this is my first post.

Firstly & foremost, I appreciate that I could probably scroll down the pages and find some answers to the questions I am about to ask, but thought I would bunch them together. Any help would be much appreciated - thanks in advance.

I am a 24 year old Englishman who is thinking about coming to Thailand to undertake some teaching next year. I have been to Thailand twice before (once on holiday & once travelling last year when i finished university for three months) and would really like some advise as to whether or not it is worth thinking about. I am aware of the tightening rules for teaching English these days but if at all possible, would like to persue my aspirations to do so.

I plan to arrive in Thailand and carry out an accredited TEFL (or similar) before applying for a job. I do have a degree but it is a BSc (Hons) in Building Surveying as well as an HND in Construction Management. I know ideally a Degree in Education would be the best for getting work, but i am wondering whether my degree would help at all & show my credentials for willingness to learn.

I suppose my first question would be; Do I stand any chance of being able to find a job teaching? I really don't mind what grade, it could be youngsters as far as i am concerned, perhaps 7-12 age range. I really am not fussy, I just want to break my normal routine and do something good whilst I am young.

I would also like to know whether a wage is realistic. I am not doing it to make money. It would however be nice to break even from month to month!!!

Also is there as much work going as I have read?

If anyone could help, I will be very greatful.

Many thanks.,,,,,Mike

[/quote

Hi Mike....er...are there any particular reasons why you have decided to take up teaching in Thailand as opposed to say Japan or Taiwan where the wages are better ?

Lots of guys take up teaching here because it means they can be nearer to their girlfriends. This seems like a good idea at first but as the years go by it can turn into a bit of a stressful grind. To really stick it out you really need to enjoy teaching. Oh yes, and I've met people who enjoy teaching who were not very good teachers. I've also known guys that loathed every second but were surprisingly good teachers.!!

Yes you should be able to find a job and unless you are on the booze a lot or running around all night, the wage you will get can be quite comfortable, though you will have little left over at the end of the month. Having said that, one of our teachers manages to save about half his wage packet every month.

Your degree should be fine at the moment though might not be in the medium future. Down here in Nakhon Si Thammarat, none of the schools realistically expect to find people with education degrees. With all the talk of new regulations it has been difficult to find new teachers and there have been job openings all year. I have little doubt you would find a job in fast order.

You should have few problems, but as the new regulations go into effect, it's hard to say how that might impact you. Some of this depends on long term goals and plans.

Since demand outweighs supply in the LOS you will be fine. culture course, TLT, and other b_ll Sh_t, is a thorn in everyone's side right now, however if you can get hooked up with a good school they should be able to help you. I am taking the culture course next month (all expenses payed) and have a 2 year exemption from the Teachers council for the TLT. When I do get around to taking the tests, my EP will cover those costs too. Like any other decision one makes in life it is important to go with your gut feeling. If it feels right do it! :o

Bangyai has made the point already, which I was reluctant to say right after the initial post. Why would anybody want to come across the globe to teach in Thailand, unless they already had a girlfriend or boyfriend here? Why not teach in Sudan or Mongolia?

The advice already given is great. Come on down, come over here. There is always room for another new English teacher. But it is never easy and sometimes it is excruciatingly difficult. Okay, I exaggerated. Sometimes it is agonizingly frustrating.

Well, I think my initial post gives a few clues as to why Thailand. I travelled through South East Asia last year & love it. Vietnam is also a place where i would consider which as you all know, is a £30 flight across from Bangkok,. Im not in it for the money, its for the experience.

You'll find a job easily mate. I was offered 3 in my first week of applying (average wages though) and didn't need a degree certificate or TEFL certificate - nothing.

It will be a great experience, be sure of that.

Thanks

Ritfor

It's good that you're not doing it for the money. You have a pretty good chance of working at a language school. It would also be pretty easy for you to get hired at one of the semi-real schools that would never get you the real paperwork anyway (though it's not recommended as it's illegal and could theoretically get you fined/jailed/deported). As a new teacher suffering under the newest set of rules, if your intention is to work legally in primary or secondary schools in any long term way, you're looking at least at an extra year of "study" in the local "courses," or earning a real education degree some other way.