White And Brown Rice

Eastender

What's the difference between white and brown rice?

While in Thailand I was once told that white rice was grown on flat paddys and brown on hills.

And does the same apply to rice sold in the UK?

I was once told, in the UK, that white rice was refined and brown untouched.

The scouser is correct, white rice is milled (Polished to be exact). Brown rice is milled but not to the same extent.

If you are lucky you might come across 'Red Rice', it is a type or rice grown along the Cambodian border and has a reddish hue to it - absolutely delicious. However, it is seldom sold on the open market as it is usually grown for own consumption.

Brown/Red rice has far more vitimins that white rice and has a much higher fibre content. However, it can agravate some health problems particularly if the consumer has problems matabalizing vitimins. People who suffer with gout should not eat brown/red rice.

The scouser is correct, white rice is milled (Polished to be exact). Brown rice is milled but not to the same extent.

Brown/Red rice has far more vitimins that white rice and has a much higher fibre content. However, it can agravate some health problems particularly if the consumer has problems matabalizing vitimins. People who suffer with gout should not eat brown/red rice.

This is true and is why health fanatics like to eat Kao Dang, red rice.

Thai's will not touch it, as it is normally served in prisons,

and hence has a stigma attached.

Not strictly true. There are a few varieties of red rice. The Kao Horm Mali Daeng is a relatively new variety, which used to be heavily promoted by Khun Mechai, of tattooed pig and condom & cabbage fame. This rice is quite rare and sells at considerable premium over white rice. High fiber, High vitamin & Mineral and delicious flavour.

We used to grow it on a property in NE Esarn and wholesale exclusively to health shops & high quality supermarkets around Thailand & overseas. The retail price here was almost 100 Baht per kilo.

Now I am getting confused. I know the difference between white and brown rice, also the broken red served in prison, and some varieties of red in the same price bracket as premium white.

Now what is this kao horm mali daeng? My gf says it's a variety of sticky rice.

Or is it the long grain 'black' or 'wild' rice which is quite a new thing?

Not strictly true. There are a few varieties of red rice. The Kao Horm Mali Daeng is a relatively new variety, which used to be heavily promoted by Khun Mechai, of tattooed pig and condom & cabbage fame. This rice is quite rare and sells at considerable premium over white rice. High fiber, High vitamin & Mineral and delicious flavour.

We used to grow it on a property in NE Esarn and wholesale exclusively to health shops & high quality supermarkets around Thailand & overseas. The retail price here was almost 100 Baht per kilo.

I read in the Post a few days ago that brown rice is what's given the general prison population, and white rice given to some elderly prisoners...

Isn't there also a difference with the Glycemic index of Brown rice, being lower.

A lower GI means that food you eat is digested into your blood stream slower.

As I understand it, I think it refers to the absorbtion rate of sugars/carbs only, not the other nutrients. I think it also means that your blood glucose will remain high longer than the higher GI foods. I'm a diabetic, so I refer to the GI quite often. Unfortunately, I can't eat much in the way of any rice or noodles. No more than a 1/2 cup per meal. I especially like sticky rice, but my body reacts to it like it's concentrated sugar... In fact, its GI is even higher than pure sugar in any form.

Thai's consider brown rice to be indigestible. So it is considered low quality. Similarly Thai's usually feel they would fall ill if they don't get to eat meat whilst western countries acknowledge a veggie diet as healthier.

The Thai attitude has it's root in the agricultal history. 100 years ago the rice that was grown in Thailand was good rice. Nutritious, tasty, and could sustain life very well with only the occasional supplement of meat or beans. If one were to try and eat such rice brown - you would spend three weeks digesting it. It had to be well processed.

Then the evil Americans came selling their own strains of rice that gave 20 times the yield per acre. Nutritional value of cardboard, but profitable. Thais wern't to know what crap it was as they just saw rice, but 20 times as much.

Brown rice is now considered healthier, because it still has a few vitamins left in it. Nothing like proper rice, but better than the processed white rice which can sustain you about as well as the cloth sacks it comes in. The Kings Mother, and the Mae Fae Luang foundation after she passed away, recognised this and have tried to reintroduce older strains of rice back to hill tribe communities. But will people pay extra?

I know I would.

Then the evil Americans came selling their own strains of rice that gave 20 times the yield per acre. Nutritional value of cardboard, but profitable. Thais wern't to know what crap it was as they just saw rice, but 20 times as much.

Like where did you get that from. The vast majority of rice grown and consumed in Thailand is native Thai varieties. American varieties have made virtually no headway in Thailand.

But heck lets blame the Americans anyway.

White rice is simply polished brown rice, nothing more, nothing less.

Doh!

Thai's consider brown rice to be indigestible. So it is considered low quality. Similarly Thai's usually feel they would fall ill if they don't get to eat meat whilst western countries acknowledge a veggie diet as healthier.

Can't agree. My wife will only eat brown rice.I've also noticed more and more brown rice in the local supermarket that is being sold.Where we shop you are lucky if you see a farung. :o

Brown rice is catching on. Never met your wife, but I was talking in general.

As for the strains of rice grown, the strains that are suited to Thai climate and soil are not the same as America, hence it is true to say that it is not American strains that are grown. Nonetheless, it was chiefly America that encouraged the continuous hybridisation of rice in an honest attempt to raise world food production levels. Increase in yields per acre were attained in this way much more than by improved agricultral methods or chemical additives. Mae Fae Luang foundation as well as many other modern organisations have done lots of nutritional studies into the various strains of rice for interested parties to look up.

For those not interested in spending time researching such fascinating issues, we can all agree with Guesthouse position

Heck lets just balme the Americans anyway.

Now there is something we can all agree on.

This is what my GF said about white rice/brown rice/red rice

White Rice - When take from field, rice go somewhere for clean, then white rice..

Brown Rice - Nooo, cannot eat rioce yellow colour ( i'm assuming she means brown ! )

Red Rice - Rice red colour for people in Monkey House, but very good, have vitamins

totster :o:D