New Floating Market Cover Story

Hobgoblin

In an effort to further gentrify Pattaya, a new floating market is to be built near Alankarn Theatre. This new attraction aims to afford visitors the ancient Thai experience, as does the original floating market in Ratchaburi. Like the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas, however, the replica is just not the same as the original. I believe the attached file fully conveys the sarcastic nature of this post.

post-7935-1217406447_thumb.jpg

I suppose part of the ancient Thai experience involves the complete replicas of the original 13th-century Ayutthaya Kingdom KFC and Starbucks.... :o

Is this an attempt at humor? I believe that replica looks reasonably accurate and will serve the community quite well. Bangkok has their floating market, now we will have ours. What is so funny about that? are you suggestiong the Pattaya People publication was incorrect in their description of this future "A" list attraction? OK, so the ancient Thai cultures may not have had KFC and Starbucks, and what appears to be "The Pizza COmpany", but is this some kind of new humor that I don't get?

it reminds me of an american woman I once saw in paris making a scene in a de-luxe hotel lobby, announcing they were Americans, and needed "Mi-dol", for some cramping that was going on, and something about a big flow day. and i couldn't tell if they were trying to be funny, or they were just ill mannered tourists.

i find no humor in this posting. and people often tell me i'm a good judge of what is funny. this is now funny at all. i downloaded your attached picture and found it very informative. no humor at all. and people tell me I'm very "now", very "with it". i wear Juicy Couture and Ann taylor outfits, so I' am very "now" butyoure posting just wasn't funny.

i also want to add to this posting with no humor, that it also reminds me of a situation in was in recently. this was a person who was abusing the free sample policy at Baskin Robbins at the carfour location. i was standing in line behind this person who asked for 3 different samples; and i had to wait for them to taste each one and reflect if it would be the one they eventually oredered and paid for.

finally this person, this "sample abuser" asked to taste the banana flavor. so i said "gee, i wonder what the banana flavor will taste like: will it taste like, hummmmmmmm, maybe it will taste like, hummmmmmm: banana?????" and this person then tasted it and just ordered a vanilla cup to go. a humorless situation, much the same as your post has no humor.

is your humor like that american comedian, i think his name is Jackie Seinfeld? is that the humor of today that i don't get?

it's going to be somewhere near that theatre Algonkarn. and it's going to be a very serious attraction where KFC , starbucks and even the Pizza Company will coexist and blend nicely with the ancient thai floating market culture, something which isnt very funny.

and just to spite the OP i hope they find a way to incorporate into their floating market things like a floating MailBoxes etc., a floating Mr. Natee key maker, and maybe an airconditioned floating section, with possibly a floating BIG C.

and if there's room, how about a floating Canon service center, which pattaya currently lacks.

it's going to be somewhere near that theatre Algonkarn. and it's going to be a very serious attraction where KFC , starbucks and even the Pizza Company will coexist and blend nicely with the ancient thai floating market culture, something which isnt very funny.

and just to spite the OP i hope they find a way to incorporate into their floating market things like a floating MailBoxes etc., a floating Mr. Natee key maker, and maybe an airconditioned floating section, with possibly a floating BIG C.

and if there's room, how about a floating Canon service center, which pattaya currently lacks.

Oooooh!, Jaansinatra. When you wake up from your dream, please call me on 08975436431 and we can discuss the REAL world, or, if you prefer we can have a crack at your own fantasy :o

where in Pattaya is the floating market going to be?

It is not quite so far south as Alangkarn, it is opposite jurrasic garden on Sukhumvit about a mile past Chaiyapruek crossroads.

They have put a lot of time and effort and i dare say money into this venture, looks good so far, heres wishing them good luck.

Jaansinatra - you seem to me like the kind of person who I once witnessed here at an unnamed business. They flashed their American Express card and said in a very slow and patronizing voice I'm an American. I WANT BUDWEISER. Do you have Bud-wei-ser? Do you have - Fol-gers cof-fee?

I wrote this post just because I found it amusing that they would put a KFC and Starbucks at an attraction that's supposed to resemble centuries past, and the fact PPN totally did not notice that irony either. Is there anyone on this board who has an ample sense of humor to enjoy it? Sheesh, then you get this Jaansinatra who hijacks someone's post with irrelevant drivel.

Edited by Hobgoblin

and i know it's jus a diagram but the water in that diagram looks like a whirling pool of liquid dengue fever.

That's not funny sir, not funny at all!! :o

So you do think, that a pizza company, a KFC, a Mc Donalds or whatever crap franchise from a spoiled Western World, belongs at a replica of some ancient Thai floating market? :D

Maybe the meaning of history has no value to Americans because American History is pretty young and people still didn't have the chance to get used to it. Yes I know, that McDonalds and KFC are about as old as the U.S.A. so that's why they think that if there is a historical replica somewhere a KFC, Mc Donald or Starbucks belongs there. :D

Anyhow, the funny thing in the OP is, that the picture shows a KFC and a Starbucks (or a Pizza Company) and the article reports the progess of the Ancient Thai Floating Market. It's more the contradiction that makes it funny. :D

Edited by farangtingtong

I think that was me you ran into. but as you can see everyone here is very serious and i think i can speak for everyone here, we dont "get" that Jersey Seinfeld guy type of so called humor. now bob Hope was funny. Bob Newheart was a scream. your humor in your OP has eluded everyone. we dont "get it".

it reminds me of that radio guy, i forget hhis name that tells jokes about women with a split lip being thrown down a flight of stairs, and that is comedy. just what is so funny about a KFC in an ancient thai culture floating village? please explain the humor to me.

Is this an attempt at humor? I believe that replica looks reasonably accurate and will serve the community quite well. Bangkok has their floating market, now we will have ours. What is so funny about that? are you suggestiong the Pattaya People publication was incorrect in their description of this future "A" list attraction? OK, so the ancient Thai cultures may not have had KFC and Starbucks, and what appears to be "The Pizza COmpany", but is this some kind of new humor that I don't get?

it reminds me of an american woman I once saw in paris making a scene in a de-luxe hotel lobby, announcing they were Americans, and needed "Mi-dol", for some cramping that was going on, and something about a big flow day. and i couldn't tell if they were trying to be funny, or they were just ill mannered tourists.

i find no humor in this posting. and people often tell me i'm a good judge of what is funny. this is now funny at all. i downloaded your attached picture and found it very informative. no humor at all. and people tell me I'm very "now", very "with it". i wear Juicy Couture and Ann taylor outfits, so I' am very "now" butyoure posting just wasn't funny.

Wow has anybody explained to you the word arrogance,chill out and stop being nasty and self important.

dont speak for me jaansinatra,as i find you a brick short of a load if you khaojai that.

i believe i can speak for you. the "Op" clearly doesn't understand humor nor do they understand what most people reading on this forum would consider to be clever funny or witty;

yakov smirnoff was funny. that comedian i think his name is Rip Torn that throws the confetti around, he is funny. very cutting edge material. carrot top: very clever cutting edge "now" material. for the op to think it's funny that there is a Sizzler or macdonalds in an ancient thai floating village is so yesterday. it is so five minutes ago. no wonder they cancelled that Jersey Seinfeld show; coudlln't get ratings. i wonder why. because no one watched it cause it was so yesterday.

i was the presdient of my homeowners association some years ago and there was this lady in the hybiscus phase that thought she was "all that". whenver i had to go to her 6,000 square foot house (mine had 8,400 square feet), she was always watching the t.v. with that observational Seinfeld show on. just not funny. like the op's observation. just not funny.

if you've ever seen the bit Bob Hope did with the dog in the dentist's office chair, you know what funny really is.

Location - roughly?

Agree with the poster above, glad it's out of town. So it's function is to be an "attraction" for the coach parties of tourists to be fleeced in one place rather than let loose on the streets of the city? Also a new trip to sell via the minibus tours!

And let's be honest - coach party tourists like this sanitised Thailand, they can buy a Starbucks coffee smoothie - watch the funny boat people take pictures of the floating colorful boats plastic bottles and foam burger boxes - the advetureous ones will pay 100 Baht for a coconut and straw as a drink - and then pile into KFC for something safe to eat.

The previous poster is right - this will be a coach-party thing so that the tourist money goes to the big guys again - as with the hotels and air-flights - not to the small shop-keepers and other small businesses in Pattaya.

Too much of the tourist money (other than the single-guy tourists) goes to a few large corporations - not enough to the little local entrepreneurs. Doesn't help the local economy much - the hotel staff are on low wages, the tour-bus driver and guide also. All the cream goes to fat cats in Bangkok or abroad.

The previous poster is right - this will be a coach-party thing so that the tourist money goes to the big guys again - as with the hotels and air-flights - not to the small shop-keepers and other small businesses in Pattaya.

Too much of the tourist money (other than the single-guy tourists) goes to a few large corporations - not enough to the little local entrepreneurs. Doesn't help the local economy much - the hotel staff are on low wages, the tour-bus driver and guide also. All the cream goes to fat cats in Bangkok or abroad.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this is part of the 'Lake View' restaurant business, which seems to have been extremely popular since it opened about 1 year ago.

The original restaurant was a very small and typical Thai family-run roadside place - my wife and I used to go there often.

I believe the original family is still involved, but someone came along with a good idea and the cash to back it up.

Good luck to them all - they're providing something that customers want and it all adds to the variety in Pattaya.

I agree with some of your comments, but I also think that some of the wealth brought in by the 'big guys' does filter down to the others.

BTW - who is this jannsinatra guy, and what is he on!!

thai floating market is on canals and not on the pond/lake - it needs local farmers/artisans selling their ware and local population interested in fresh and cheap stuff directly from the producers.

not a long time ago, some 30-40 years, there were such markets in every larger village, than the land was drained and roads build and now there are street markers everywhere.

tourists do flock to the few existing floating markets not for the vegetables and articrafts, but for boat rides and eventually food/snacks. It will be down to the tourists in pattaya to visit this centre, tourists from bangkok will still chose the original floating market on the day trips to kanchanaburi

thai floating market is on canals and not on the pond/lake - it needs local farmers/artisans selling their ware and local population interested in fresh and cheap stuff directly from the producers.

not a long time ago, some 30-40 years, there were such markets in every larger village, than the land was drained and roads build and now there are street markers everywhere.

tourists do flock to the few existing floating markets not for the vegetables and articrafts, but for boat rides and eventually food/snacks. It will be down to the tourists in pattaya to visit this centre, tourists from bangkok will still chose the original floating market on the day trips to kanchanaburi

actually it does seem odd to make the claim it is to recreate some "ancient thai cultural village" and have The Pizza company, KFC ans Starbucks . if they change their claim to a "modern floating tourist Thai village", and be a little more honest, i'll go. or i'll go to the Pizza Company have their salad bar buffet in air con floating comfort.

.....have The Pizza company, KFC ans Starbucks . if they change their claim to a "modern floating tourist Thai village", and be a little more honest, i'll go. or i'll go to the Pizza Company have their salad bar buffet in air con floating comfort.
As it is a tourist trap the prices will be revised up from the downtown rates I'm sure, but whether they use these stores to extend the scope of the home delivery service remains to be seen.

I would spectulate that the items for sale on the boats will not be a handful of lemon grass or the odd kilo of king sized prawns but bracelets and hair bands (Made in China) along with while-you-wait pictures of the tourist sitting on a boat.

-----------------------------------

What they should do is simply sell out to Hollywood's ideas of Thailand !

Recreate the Thai floating market scene from Live And Let Die - and have paid for funfare style rides on a fast longtail boat (hope it doesn't get cut in two) with a corkscrew twist leap over the top of the boats in Somchai's two tone yellow and green Toyota Corolla. Chai Yo !

Maybe have a section that is only open after dark called - "Floating Street" © something like the old Fairway (?) place on the hill with the swimming pool!

name='Cuban' date='2008-08-06 14:09:52' post='2130223']

What they should do is simply sell out to Hollywood's ideas of Thailand !

Recreate the Thai floating market scene from Live And Let Die - and have paid for funfare style rides on a fast longtail boat (hope it doesn't get cut in two) with a corkscrew twist leap over the top of the boats in Somchai's two tone yellow and green Toyota Corolla. Chai Yo !

Maybe have a section that is only open after dark called - "Floating Street" © something like the old Fairway (?) place on the hill with the swimming pool!

That was an ok place for an afternoon session. :o

The floating market will be a cpmplete rip-off, j ust like that show place on the sukhumvit. heading to satiheep :D

i like the idea of a floating 24 hour "entertainment zone" which would be nice for the local hookers and we could get some of that kind of activity away from the more family oriented parts of town. but nothing makes me think more of "ancient thai culture" than a floating The Pizza Company;

if someone knows the developer, can you please pass along my sugges tion to please consider having a floating shell gas station; so if they get caught cheating customers we can throw them directly into the polluted tourist water

jaansinatra, do your initials spell wheo?

'Chang_paarp', you beat me to it. I just had a quick look at 'jaansinatra(s)' profile and the topics he has posted. All of them are inflammatory or in the Weho mould. May be he has been rumbled. Well spotted indeed! :o