Bar Rumours - Nancy Bar(!), Drunken Monkey

chickencurry

1. I've never been to the Drunken Monkey but understand it's very popular with TV members. Drove past yesterday and both signs have been taken down. Is this another pub closure? (what a pity)

2. I happened upon the ex bar-boy from Up 2 You whilst strolling along the beach the other day - it wasn't a pretty sight - but he said that Rawai's most popular katoey, Nancy (ex Up 2 You, ex Sunshine) is opening her own bar in August on the hill road from Nai Harn to Rawai Beach. Hope she(he) does well, she deserves it, though parking on that hill is going to limit her customers I think.

3. Up 2 You bar looks extensively demolished now, certainly the bar has gone, so guess this will no longer be a bar.

Never been to the Drunken Monkey either, but, everytime I drove by, it was empty.

That location has been used by several restaurants, none of them a success. Bad location, I suppose.

Nice blokes who opened it. They came to me to talk business when they first started. I was like"you're going to call it what?" "Your location is where?" "Your target market will keep you afloat"?

They did not have good answers, but like I have mentioned before, you want to fail in business here in Phuket, open a restaurant or bar without enough capital to get you through two years of losses because that's basically what it takes to get on the map and get good turnover.

Most popular katoey in Rawai....?? What????!!

Edited by huggybear

those two guys are incredibly lovely people. i went to their place a couple of times and had a great time. their food was good, they had good wine, and they are both excellent hosts.

if the drunken monkey has indeed closed down, i hope that they are able to open elsewhere. either way, i wish them luck.

Please get well soon after your sense of humour bypass operation.

Gosh, so sorry you think I've no sense of humour! I obviously think laughing at gay couples V funny, if not intelligent. Please forgive me. I've told the thread what happened. Leave it there.

Yup. a Ferrari fan alright.

Actually a Schumacher fan, but close enough. Quite what that's got to do with this thread I'm not sure, but I would be more than happy to meet with any other F1 fanatics on here!

Yup. a Ferrari fan alright.

Actually a Schumacher fan, but close enough. Quite what that's got to do with this thread I'm not sure, but I would be more than happy to meet with any other F1 fanatics on here!

Sir Burr,

Are you an F1 fan?

Wow...Nancy opening a bar,hope it works out well for her..she is a nice character,guess her mom will move with her as well !!

Pity about the "Drunken Monkey",been to the place a few times last year,I considered it one of Phuket best little secrets ! It seems the attempt by myself and others trying to spread the word around about it`s quality didn`t help,either. :o !!

I've seen so many businesses come and go from that drunken money location.  When I moved here it was a local supermarket, and ever since it has been restaurant after restaruant. Only one making money is the landlord who I'm sure raises the lease/rent each year when a new sucker... uh businessman wants to open something up there.

3. Up 2 You bar looks extensively demolished now, certainly the bar has gone, so guess this will no longer be a bar.

Seems I've got that wrong. A Thai friend told me last night that an Englishman is opening it again and major reno going on at moment. (Wonder if he's paying the increased rent rate that previous renter turned down.)

Wow...Nancy opening a bar,hope it works out well for her..she is a nice character,guess her mom will move with her as well !!

Her mom????? Prob her boyfriend I would've thought. Have you got the right Nancy?

Hope so,if it is Nancy from Sunshine Bar "her" mother was working at the same bar a year ago...I had them both+2 other girls up at my place (for dinner :o ) !!

Right here it is the Drunken monky they split and one is now the manager at the Iconic place he has gone home to the UK but should be back so Bob the owner tells me and the place has been up for sale ( look at the adds )

Nancy yes she is opening a new bar on the rawai hill looks like it will soon be done

Up 2 you Bar well look at the state of it now looks like a thai food place with all that bamboo outside but yes it will be a bar again soon but not for long with that rent.......

just down from Up 2 you bar will be so i am told an Indian that will be good for a curry hope better than mr india with his 3 pieces of meet he puts in the curry

Right here it is the Drunken monky they split and one is now the manager at the Iconic place he has gone home to the UK but should be back so Bob the owner tells me and the place has been up for sale ( look at the adds )

Nancy yes she is opening a new bar on the rawai hill looks like it will soon be done

Up 2 you Bar well look at the state of it now looks like a thai food place with all that bamboo outside but yes it will be a bar again soon but not for long with that rent.......

just down from Up 2 you bar will be so i am told an Indian that will be good for a curry hope better than mr india with his 3 pieces of meet he puts in the curry

Blimey, you know a lot!!

An Indian curry house !!!!!*@#!!*&^!!! :o You've made my day!!

Is O'Malleys closed then? I've tried to get breakfast there two Sundays now and it's been locked up. Will it reopen? I was rather keen on the 99-baht full English.

Maybe thats why it has closed? you cant make profit selling 99 baht full english breakfasts :o

Is O'Malleys closed then? I've tried to get breakfast there two Sundays now and it's been locked up. Will it reopen? I was rather keen on the 99-baht full English.

Maybe thats why it has closed? you cant make profit selling 99 baht full english breakfasts :o

i had the breakfast a couple of times, it wasn't a full english but it wasn't bad.

i've been passing it every day and its still not open. Earlier this week the door was open and i saw a farang and a Thai guy walking around the front pointing at stuff. Maybe they are selling it or remodelling?

1. I've never been to the Drunken Monkey but understand it's very popular with TV members. Drove past yesterday and both signs have been taken down. Is this another pub closure? (what a pity)

Its not closed, very much open from my experience, have been there for sunday lunch most of the past weeks. The lady now running it, she said she is the owner, told us that the guy who was running it before did a runner on her so they've decided to run it themselves. They're making some changes, guessing a new name is coming and a new english chef is starting soon.

Edited by mjperry

Please get well soon after your sense of humour bypass operation.

Gosh, so sorry you think I've no sense of humour! I obviously think laughing at gay couples V funny, if not intelligent. Please forgive me. I've told the thread what happened. Leave it there.

Strange :o

So far we've confirmed that Drunken Monkey, which was run by a gay couple, is now closed and for sale after the couple broke up, although it remains open and is being run by the woman whose staff did a runner on her. Good work, guys.

Edited by vanalli

Never been to the Drunken Monkey either, but, everytime I drove by, it was empty.

That location has been used by several restaurants, none of them a success. Bad location, I suppose.

Nice blokes who opened it. They came to me to talk business when they first started. I was like"you're going to call it what?" "Your location is where?" "Your target market will keep you afloat"?

They did not have good answers, but like I have mentioned before, you want to fail in business here in Phuket, open a restaurant or bar without enough capital to get you through two years of losses because that's basically what it takes to get on the map and get good turnover.

Most popular katoey in Rawai....?? What????!!

The Monkey was succesful and earnt the boys a wage. I believe they left for personal reasons.

I would imagine you have benifitted from thier demise, already the ladies club is with you.

Read this thread with interest but got fed up with the rumours.

They split up, lots of heartache. One tried to keep it going and couldn't [heart wasn't in it]

The owner didn't put the rent up.

The restaurant was making a profit.

Very sad.

Now put it to rest and find another rumour to gossip about and get a sodding life please.