Looking For A Bongo And A Coconut

cudaproject

I'm a keen music fan and since moving to Thailand I have really embraced the Thai music scene. I am thinking of learning some of the more traditional songs, however can anyone help me with some of the instruments, ideally I would like to start off with the basics of a bongo and a coconut and I think I will be well away!

I'm intrigued to learn more about traditional Thai music myself and if you would like to PM me we could perhaps get together with jamming sessions playing the various instruments. As a relative newcomer to the scene I may be showing my ignorance, but how does one actually play the coconut? Does one chop it in half and bang the two pieces together to produce a sound similar to a horse trotting? Anyway drop me a line and we can cause a right old racket and be well away.

I really like Thaivisa, it's such a good way to find out information and now i've found a new friend with a similar taste in music. I do hope other reader's can join us this coming Sunday at the Pattaya Beer Garden for an impromptu gathering of avid Thai music fans, we'll be the two guys in the corner playing a bongo and a coconut.

After making contact with cudaproject I paid Suriya Music a visit on Sukhumvit road, where I excitedly saw a Khlong Yao, which is a long Thai drum and gives a distinctive deep sound. I was so pleased with my find that I decided to purchase said instrument and am now the proud owner of a Khlong Yao :P

I'll certainly be at the Pattaya Beer Garden on Sunday afternoon, banging away one way or the other :o:P:(:D:D:D:D:burp::D

After making contact with cudaproject I paid Suriya Music a visit on Sukhumvit road, where I excitedly saw a Khlong Yao, which is a long Thai drum and gives a distinctive deep sound. I was so pleased with my find that I decided to purchase said instrument and am now the proud owner of a Khlong Yao :P

I'll certainly be at the Pattaya Beer Garden on Sunday afternoon, banging away one way or the other :o:P:(:D:D:D:D:burp::D

I also had a thought, to make the event more culturally diverse we could invite swingers from different parts of Asia to join in and bring their exotic instruments with them, for example one could bring along his Goa'n ghumat... although admittedly it would be a rather weak link combined with the bongo and the coconut... it could be heaps of fun.. what ho!

As it happens, I was in Bongo World on Third Road last Saturday and was amazed at the variety of drummage in there. If I tell you where it is, can I come along next week?

Yes, please tell us! anyone can come along to our music sessions in Pattaya Beer garden

If anyone is interested we'll be having a mid-week music session at the Buffalo Bar on 3rd Road tomorrow evening at 8pm. All are welcome to bring along their instruments, but preferably classical Thai as we aim to start a farang mini orchestra. Bring a friend or take one when you leave.

If anyone is interested we'll be having a mid-week music session at the Buffalo Bar on 3rd Road tomorrow evening at 8pm. All are welcome to bring along their instruments, but preferably classical Thai as we aim to start a farang mini orchestra. Bring a friend or take one when you leave.

just don't bring that stuff on Friday nights to the Pattaya Beer Garden...that's when the TV Friday Night Out crew indulgences in philosophical discourses and does not wish to get disturbed by loud noise.

just don't bring that stuff on Friday nights to the Pattaya Beer Garden...that's when the TV Friday Night Out crew indulgences in philosophical discourses and does not wish to get disturbed by loud noise.

We'll be seeing you on Friday evening then! Bring ear plugs if you want to keep the racket down. :o

Sounds like Pattaya is really shaping up to be a 'city of culture' afterall. Well done chaps.

As an ex-bongo player myself, here's something as a token of my appreciation;

Hi Somaz, I can tell you're a man of culture and we would very much like to welcome you to join us for some musical antics on either Friday evening or Sunday afternoon. Can I take it that you'll be attending?

Fred, just try and stop me. Infact, we could have the Pattaya Music Marathon from Friday till Sunday. The JP Bar will never be the same again.

Permission to bring a friend. He still has his cymbals from his Hare Krishna days.

****BREAKING NEWS****

The legendary Bongo performer Hank Gary Myles from Memphis, Tennessee has confirmed his attendance on Sunday afternoon, where he'll be performing the heart wrenching "Leaving on a jet plane" in A Minor. This event will really be a sell out so get your tickets from Pattaya Beer Garden, Any bar on Soi 6, Carrefour, Tropical Berts, Jamesons, Tesco Lotus or Kinaree Gentlemans Club - Remember....Book Early

post-63561-1218083264_thumb.jpg

Fred, just try and stop me. Infact, we could have the Pattaya Music Marathon from Friday till Sunday. The JP Bar will never be the same again.

Permission to bring a friend. He still has his cymbals from his Hare Krishna days.

That really will be a marathon of truly mammouth proportions! Count me in.

As I said before everyone with an instrument is welcome, though I have to eductae you on the correct Thai terminology for cymbals, they're called 'ching' oddly enough...

post-63561-1218083539.gif

i am part of a "group" from the northern part of england called KENDAL

me and my followers ( erm friends) also love traditional music. our instruments are however made from the famous "kendal mint cake"

we have instruments such as the "minty piccolo" and the "jews harp cake" (no rasist jibes please, its a real instrument)

we are currently touring some of the lesser known bars in samui and although our traditions are not the same, we would love to bridge the cultural gap by shoving our minty flava in to the mix.

i think we can make the early flight up in the morning if its cool with you guys.

if anyone can pick us up that would be great.

including myself our posse will be 8 strong.

you will smell us!