Uk State Pensions In Thailand

GuestHouse

Apologies for slightly deviating from the topic, but i have a question regarding the UK state pension, and having already received some great advice from GuestHouse, wondered if i might trouble for some more...

I've just received my pension forecast which tells me that i have 10 years of qualifying contributions, and with the new law, this means i require just 20 more to get a full pension.

Now i had previously been preparing myself to pay voluntary contributions for the last ten years i have missed living in Thailand, but it has dawned on me that perhaps this might not be necessary. I'm in my 30s now. Would it not be ok to wait until i'm about 45 years old, and then start to make voluntary contributions on a year by year basis, this way giving me the extra 20 years required for the full pension. Or does there come a point when you have not been contributing so long that it's not possible to pick up where you left off?

Is there any argument to get the 30 full years on contributions paid as quickly as possible?

I think this largely depends on your personal circumstances and your future plans. Rates of contributions increase every year, but then only in line with inflation.

If it were me I would want to get fullyqualified as soon as possible, because I feel I would be less likely to be affected if the Government decides to move the goalposts again.

Many thanks for your replies GuestHouse and CRUNCHER.

If i were to do as you suggest, this would mean i would have the full 30 qualifying years by the time i'm about 45. Would i then simply be able to stop making contributions and sit back and wait for the money to start rolling in come my 65th birthday (or whenever it is)! Or is there some obligation to continue contributing? I understand that if you were working in the UK, this would be the case, but for those of us non-residents, does this apply?

Did you all know that the guys who make these decisions (Civil Servants) DO NOT GET THEIR PENSIONS FROZEN. One rule for the rich, or what!

It has been deemed that they have done the country a public service (Worked for pay :o) so are exempt. The campaigner mentioned previously successfully won her case and got the FREEZE LIFTED due to the fact she was a council employee (teacher, I think). I recollect she has now passed away.

Dave (Mr Angry of Surin)

sorry dave your talking out your dung button. there are no exceptions to oap and the freezing thereof. civil servants get a private works pension like a lot of other people . that like yours if you receive one is not subject to freezing . a very important piont.

Did you all know that the guys who make these decisions (Civil Servants) DO NOT GET THEIR PENSIONS FROZEN. One rule for the rich, or what!

Don't fall so easily into the trap set for you.

Nu Labour wishes to renage on the agreement the UK Government has with Civil Servants to provide good pensions as part of their renumeration (That is the contract that the Government and the Civil Servants made when any individual joined the Civil Service).

The reason why the Government want to renage on this agreement is cost - The Government argues that it cannot afford Civil Servant Pensions. - Well there is money for other people's wars, billions available for welfare scroungers and billions available to subsidize the argricultural industry/the EU and any number of other pet projects. - It's not that there is no money, its about priorities.

Nu Labour's response to this is to set the trap you have walked right into - Spite and Envy - The Government have been running a very effective Spite and Envy campaign against Civil Servant Pensions (not against their own) and Joe Ordinary walks right into it.

This is not the first spite and envy campaign on pensions - the reason why overseas pensions are frozen is because - yes you have guessed it - Spite and Envy. The argument has been that people who retire overseas are rich and don't need pensions.

--

You ought also to read up on exactly what the basis and thinking behind Civil Servant Pensions is - They are part of a range of employment conditions that are very effective at controlling the Civil Service to ensure that the UK does not suffer the kind of rampant corruption in the Civil Service as does Thailand (for example). These measures go back to legislation brought into place through the thinking and efforts of Sammuel Peeps (yes he of the diaries) - They have served the UK very well and ought not to be discarded without careful consideration.

Certainly not on the basis of Spite and Envy.