If I Could Change One Thing About Thai Food

chiangmaibruce

Don't get me wrong, I like Thai food but ...

I don't have much of an appetite in this warm sticky weather and when I do I like to woof down my food. You know, really get stuck into it.

Nothing interrupts the rythym quite like stopping every three seconds to extract a sharp little piece of bone (or gristle, skin, fat, gravel, etc). I sometimes ruminate on the thought that to produce a mish-mash of body bits like this could only be the end result of tenderising with the rear wheel of a pick-up truck. Though I must say most Thai people seem to leave their plates pretty darn clean!

OK, I appreciate that portioning with a cleaver is the fastest way to get things ready for the pot. I wonder though if this is the price you must pay for the depth of flavour we all know and love with Thai food? Or whether it is just the easy option?

Perhaps some TVer who is a cooking whiz could advise whether you can have one without the other (preferably the flavour without the inedibles).

I don't have much of an appetite in this warm sticky weather and when I do I like to woof down my food. You know, really get stuck into it.

Nothing interrupts the rythym quite like stopping every three seconds to extract a sharp little piece of bone (or gristle, skin, fat, gravel, etc). I sometimes ruminate on the thought that to produce a mish-mash of body bits like this could only be the end result of tenderising with the rear wheel of a pick-up truck. Though I must say most Thai people seem to leave their plates pretty darn clean!

OK, I appreciate that portioning with a cleaver is the fastest way to get things ready for the pot. I wonder though if this is the price you must pay for the depth of flavour we all know and love with Thai food? Or whether it is just the easy option?

Perhaps some TVer who is a cooking whiz could advise whether you can have one without the other (preferably the flavour without the inedibles).

After a year of bein here...well i can say that Thai food tastesall the same now, so its nasty to me, i hate it, my wife and i spend alot of money a month on buying and cooking western food....I mean I am sick of having a bit of spicy grissle with my plain boiled rice....but lets talk about the way the cook it too? i mean come on man, reallY? are you serius?? i mean that aids Hepatitis C all over it...and yet people still think is good, anyways I agree with Chiangmainbruce......now about having one without the other, you would have to really open the door for them in international food or give all thais classes so maye they can expand their views that maybe there is something else out there to cook than just pork.....Then again, Thailand is a poor country, the food that is not thai is expensive, all 3rd world countries have their own style or indigenous food, but this countries food is awful.

After a year of bein here...well i can say that Thai food tastesall the same now, so its nasty to me, i hate it, my wife and i spend alot of money a month on buying and cooking western food....I mean I am sick of having a bit of spicy grissle with my plain boiled rice....but lets talk about the way the cook it too? i mean come on man, reallY? are you serius?? i mean that aids Hepatitis C all over it...and yet people still think is good, anyways I agree with Chiangmainbruce......now about having one without the other, you would have to really open the door for them in international food or give all thais classes so maye they can expand their views that maybe there is something else out there to cook than just pork.....Then again, Thailand is a poor country, the food that is not thai is expensive, all 3rd world countries have their own style or indigenous food, but this countries food is awful.

What a strange piece of drivel.

Small bones can be annoying but do add quite a bit of flavor to some dishes. if I could change only one thing it would be to reduce the amount of sugar added by about 90%.

my vote is in favour of 99.99% sugar removal :o anyway, i eat a lot of thai food. not prepared traditional style but using ready spice mixes for green, yellow and red curries. these packets do not contain any sugar and i don't miss it.

I love Thai food and it's one good reason why I enjoy going there.

You soon learn where the best food can be had and the variety is infinite and you can direct what goes into it.

I'm so hooked on the stuff that I cook my own at home.

Despite the minor aggravations like bone chips, it's a much healthier diet than most Europeans eat.

PapiRico, how do you manage to refer to AIDS in all of your posts :o

Anyway, count yourselves lucky: Thai food is better than the food here in Vietnam (though I like it). Some posters should seriously consider leaving Thailand.......

Everything is backwards here......dam_n! I get Salt with my lemonade and shakes and i get sugar with my soup...then again I am not surprised, Thailand is backwards.

Why do you stay in Thailand. You are concerned about catching Aids, and hate the food.

Faranglandoz :o

you would have to really open the door for them in international food or give all thais classes so maye they can expand their views that maybe there is something else out there to cook than just pork.....Then again, Thailand is a poor country, the food that is not thai is expensive, all 3rd world countries have their own style or indigenous food, but this countries food is awful.

oh my oh my

i wonder where is your homeland, because there are only that many places on earth where the food is rich and diverse as the food here in thailand, it sounds that where you come from is not on that list.

i will ignore the rest of ur comments, after all its a food forum!

PapiRico, how do you manage to refer to AIDS in all of your posts :o

Anyway, count yourselves lucky: Thai food is better than the food here in Vietnam (though I like it). Some posters should seriously consider leaving Thailand.......

ok, eat Indonesian food!!!

much tastier !!!!

Thais like it as well...

I'm tired of the majority of thai dishes, especially the ones we get for lunch at my school!

I'm from Italy and although having tasted many different cuisines from around the world I still think italian food is the best. Sorry.

But then food is much more than stuff we put in our bellies. It's a reminder of where we come from, our past, childhood etc...

been here for 2 years and fed up with rice, rice, rice. Thanks God I'm a good cook and I can find all the ingredients for a nice pasta.

I'm tired of the majority of thai dishes, especially the ones we get for lunch at my school!

I'm from Italy and although having tasted many different cuisines from around the world I still think italian food is the best. Sorry.

But then food is much more than stuff we put in our bellies. It's a reminder of where we come from, our past, childhood etc...

been here for 2 years and fed up with rice, rice, rice. Thanks God I'm a good cook and I can find all the ingredients for a nice pasta.

Maybe you can cook a nice spaghetti boulognaise for me :o

i mean come on man, reallY? are you serius?? i mean that aids Hepatitis C all over it...and yet people still think is good, anyways I agree with Chiangmainbruce......now about having one without the other, you would have to really open the door for them in international food or give all thais classes so maye they can expand their views that maybe there is something else out there to cook than just pork.

Thank you PapiRico for opening my eyes to the dangers of Thai food! Does only the food with gristle carry the aids virus or is it in all food. Does it cost extra with aids?

Best of luck in opening the door for them in international food. I yearn for a day when I am able to eat aids free Thai food that isn't pork.

I want a pizza, please

...I would find a way to get rid of the smell of the various Isaan dishes that taste so good :D but smell terrible! :o

Seconded. I used to think there was something dead in my mother-in-law's kitchen until I found out that it was the same smell as in all the kitchens in Isaan!