Very Threatening Taxi Driver - What To Do?

khun_j

This is probably better : ไป < จุดหมายปลายทาง > ได้ไหมครับ

Yeah. But anyone that needed to be taught that simple phrase, is not going to be able to read what you wrote. :o

I speak thai pretty well, and I don't even negotiate let them use the meter and sometime even get refused due to my destination is too far. Usually I take the bus or songtaew. Also, another big problem is miscommunication.

Taxi's in BKK are my biggest nightmare, just recently I agreed a 'meter' trip to the airport, I even asked him in Thai, but as soon as we started to drive off the driver insisted 350 baht (normally 200 tops). I forcefully said no but he then changed his story and started to demand a 50 baht tip. I told him "YUT" and got out. Right behind him was a decent taxi driver - no problems.

Its hit and miss... my wife wont take a taxi in BKK if she is on her own, not even in the daytime. She tells me that there are now too many criminals driving cabs as they cant get any other jobs. Whether thats true or not I dont know, but Im sure that its not just a Thai problem.

Here is the best bit though - and I appreciate that it may be childish but certainly makes me fell better - get out of the rear passenger door and leave it open, also leave the boot (trunk) open if you take bags out - it really @*#'s them off as they have to get out to close it!

Anyway, if a driver is good and drives safely then I will usually give him a half decent tip, so it pays to be nice... I just wish they all realised that, you would think that with there being so many taxis in BKK that they would want to keep the fare?

These days if there is even the slightest hint of a taxi trying to pull one then for me its stop and out - plenty more to be had!

JSW

Edited by JetSetWilly

You think all the taxi's arriving in Pattaya/Hua Hin have meters on? Maybe 1 in 1000 does...

Bangkok taxis do not use their metres for trips outside the Bangkok metropolitan area - which DOES include Nonthaburi, Samut Phrakan and Thonburi.

get out of the rear passenger door and leave it open, also leave the boot (trunk) open if you take bags out - it really @*#'s them off as they have to get out to close it!

Then you better make sure you're not standing in the middle of a soi with all your bags when that antagonized driver gets out out his cab...

Sorry but the instant he is trying not to use the meter he is cheating people, it is totally illegal, that blows your little theory out of the water about most problems being miscommunication, no most problems ARE blatant cheating.

lol.. how much do u think they'd make pr month with the current price of fuel if no one ever tipped em.. Fixed rate, no problem, provided they ain't taking the piss.. You think all the taxi's arriving in Pattaya/Hua Hin have meters on? Maybe 1 in 1000 does...

I'd hazard a guess that its more profitable to drive a motorbike taxi than a 4 wheeled one @ the moment, a lot of the regular drivers outside my condo now have motorbikes.. :o

Riiight so its ok to lie, cheat, break the law, steal and what? Murder? Because you think they dont make enough money? What planet are you on?

This is probably better : ไป < จุดหมายปลายทาง > ได้ไหมครับ

Yeah. But anyone that needed to be taught that simple phrase, is not going to be able to read what you wrote. :o

they could print it out on a pocket card :D

a taxi driver will definitely understand what is written, but will probably be completely confused with the tonal mispronunciation of someone(who cant read/write hence cant really pronounce correctly) attempting to deliver even the most basic of phrases(applys to tourists and long timers alike who "think" their spoken thai is good)

You think all the taxi's arriving in Pattaya/Hua Hin have meters on? Maybe 1 in 1000 does...

Bangkok taxis do not use their metres for trips outside the Bangkok metropolitan area - which DOES include Nonthaburi, Samut Phrakan and Thonburi.

get out of the rear passenger door and leave it open, also leave the boot (trunk) open if you take bags out - it really @*#'s them off as they have to get out to close it!

Then you better make sure you're not standing in the middle of a soi with all your bags when that antagonized driver gets out out his cab...

??? Thonburi is very well a part of the "Bangkok Metropolitan Area"!

lol.. how much do u think they'd make pr month with the current price of fuel if no one ever tipped em.. Fixed rate, no problem, provided they ain't taking the piss.. You think all the taxi's arriving in Pattaya/Hua Hin have meters on? Maybe 1 in 1000 does...

The Thais don't tip so why the heck should we be expected too? Oh that's right we have "too mutt money"

Fixed rate - they are taking the piss, or they would not do it... the meter is there for a reason.

Hua Hin and Pattaya are outside Bangkok therefore meters are not legally required.

Very sorry to hear about your problem. I almost never argue with a taxi driver. If I feel like something is amiss, I just tell him to stop, pay him and grab another taxi. While riding with these guys, we are quite vulnerable.

I have had very good luck with taxis in general, but once had one take me on a very different route and it was suddenly quite a dark area with little traffic (yes they do exist in BKK). I actually got quite scared and told him to stop and let me out, even though I had no idea where I was. The guy was very nice and said, 'no, no, I can't let you out here, it's too dangerous. It's a short-cut, just wait one minute and you will see." Shortly thereafter we were on a major road and indeed it was a much shorter way to my home. That guy has saved me thousands of baht over the last 8 years or so!

My advice is don't argue with someone whose driving and don't argue with someone who has a gun! Just not worth it.

Sorry but the instant he is trying not to use the meter he is cheating people, it is totally illegal, that blows your little theory out of the water about most problems being miscommunication, no most problems ARE blatant cheating.

I'd hazard a guess that its more profitable to drive a motorbike taxi than a 4 wheeled one @ the moment, a lot of the regular drivers outside my condo now have motorbikes.. :D

Riiight so its ok to lie, cheat, break the law, steal and what? Murder? Because you think they dont make enough money? What planet are you on?

Yep, thats exactly what I said..... :o

My brother in law probably makes as much as the average farang English teacher (or more). Although he's an honest hard working driver that puts in way more hours than any English teacher I know.

(BKK area...)

My brother in law probably makes as much as the average farang English teacher (or more). Although he's an honest hard working driver that puts in way more hours than any English teacher I know.

(BKK area...)

most run LPG..is this going up in price too ?

No offence & it doesn't make the actions of the Taxi Driver right of course but if they Guy wants to avoid using the Toll & keep the money for it, just let him, how much are we talking here ??

50 BHT ??

80 BHT tops ??

Big deal..

& tell your Husband to not negotiate with them as they don't always stick to the negotiation as he unfortunately found out, but use a Taxi Meter ONLY, that will help ALL of us if we ALL do that, possibly make more Taxi Drivers use their meter ( as much chance of that as you have of the Police doing something & something happening to this Driver if you reported it ) & it might stamp out more incidents like this one ..

I know it is frustrating but this is Thailand & Thai people will continue to do these little frustrating things every single day & iff you can't get used to it & let them get away with it once in while, you might want to re think being here..

I hate it when the Petrol Station Boy tries to rip me off by short changing me on purpose, or when the Taxi Guy fumbles around with the 10 Baht coin change from a Bangkok Toll but you either get used to it, or maybe Thailand isn't for you..

It doesn't just happen in Thailand either so i'm not just Thai Bashing..

You go to rent a house, agree 7,000 a month....suddenly when you go to pay your rent they want 12,000....hey only 5,000 more...big deal......principle man...agree something , anyone with respect will stick to that agreement.

You go to rent a house, agree 7,000 a month....suddenly when you go to pay your rent they want 12,000....hey only 5,000 more...big deal......principle man...agree something , anyone with respect will stick to that agreement.

Don't be so stupid (sensible). There are people here with valid points to make (axes to grind).

Another poster mentioned this point but it is worth repeating. Always insist on putting the meter on and paying the tolls yourself.

Its almost always cheaper to do so, and if they refuse, so what? You might have to wait all of two minutes before another cab shows up who will accept those conditions.

Also consider that the guys who do insist on no meters, do so because they want to take advantage of you. This alone should give you an insight into their character, so it is hardly of much surprise to learn that he took your husband 'around the houses' and aggressively pursued extra money.

Not that I condone it, of course there are scum in this world but with a bit of street smarts you can avoid them.

Edited by quiksilva

(BKK area...)

most run LPG..is this going up in price too ?

Maybe not as much as its oil based counterpart but they have to que up for hours to get filled up with LPG.... The 2 places I go past daily always have 50+ car's in the que.