Any Safe Deposit Box Rental In Cm - But Not In A Bank?

Oneman

-

Any private safe deposit box rentals in CM?

Where to store valuable items, safe and secure, but not a bank safe deposit box?

Or, might there be some "creative" alternatives to accomplish the same objective?

Bangkok has several private (i.e. non-bank) safety deposit boxes for rent -- sometimes mentioned on this forum -- so the idea is not unknown in Thailand.

But what about in Chiangmai?

There are several reasons for _not_ considering a bank.

I won't go into them here -- too easy to get off topic.

As with most apartment buildings, mine offers a cheap and small safety box.

It is bolted to a flimsy wooden shelf in the clothes closet.

And, one day, when mine malfunctioned, I watched the front-desk errand-boy open the box with the master key which is normally left hanging in the office.

And the office is often un-attended.

So I don't trust that little box at all.

The manager will not allow any personal safety box to be bolted to wall or floor: It's an apartment, not a condo.

(In all other respects, a fine apartment, so no reason to move just for that.)

What goes in is passport, insurance papers, a small handful of baht in case of serious emergency, my one really good watch , and the baht-gold ring I bought many years ago, but never, ever, wear.

Not a big amount, and not a huge value, but important enough to keep safe and secure.

Worth paying an annual rental for peace-of-mind.

Any place in CM offering that?

Or any "creative" alternatives that might be effective?

I've considered buying a decent safety box at Carrefour.

Then putting that inside a non-descript wooden crate.

Then paying for long-term storage in one of the many bonded warehouses companies near the CM airport.

I inquired at one such company, Boonma, on Mahidol Road -- about storing "critical spare parts for my company's computers".

Yes, they can do, but minimum charge for long-term storage is 1,000 baht per month, even just one box.

12,000/year is a bit on the high side for what's inside.

And it's just an open warehouse, nothing secure.

Are there any better options?

I just bought a safe from tigerbeer's furniture shop.

Leeco firesafe, 53 kg., stands about 2 feet high. Key and combo lock mechanism.

It is not hidden, it just sits in my apt. Sure 2 people could carry it (or one very strong guy) but it would be a bit obvious.

I keep my passport, credit cards, backup hard drive, etc. in it.

It will fit my laptop for when I travel out of town.

Seems to be very well made, and as always, the price was right at tigerbeer's !

Send him a PM; I'm sure he can give you more details.

... firesafe, 53 kg. ... will fit my laptop for when I travel out of town.

McGriffith mentioned two, important points which I hadn't considered: fire protection, and big enough for laptop.

Thank you.

I prefer to rent, rather than buy, but if no secure storage in CM, then buying a safe is the next option.

Following McG's recommendation, I've sent a PM to "tigerbeer".

I know nothing about safes.

Can anyone recommend other places in CM to buy a safe that offers fire protection and is big enough for a laptop?

Are the safes offered at Lotus and Carrefour sufficient?

Or is it prudent to spend more and buy from a specialized dealer?

What about buying a used safe?

And the original topic question is still open: Where to find secure storage, outside of a bank?

Edited by Oneman

And the original topic question is still open: Where to find secure storage, outside of a bank?

The Montri Hotel used to rent out safe deposit boxes and may still do it, but it is less than 2,000 baht per year in a bank and much more in other places including the private safe deposit boxes in Bangkok. It sounds like the OP doesn't want to pay that much.

The Montri Hotel used to rent out safe deposit boxes and may still do it, but it is less than 2,000 baht per year in a bank and much more in other places including the private safe deposit boxes in Bangkok. It sounds like the OP doesn't want to pay that much.

Finding secure storage is the problem, not the price.

One place I looked at in Bangkok wanted 6,000/year -- fine with me.

Big enough for computer backup drives, too.

But, so far, can't find anything like that in CM.

Hotel, such as the Montri?

Interesting idea.

I would have thought only for registered guests, but this idea is worth some research.

However, the Montri doesn't strike me as very diligent about security.

Do any other hotels in CM rent boxes to non-guests?

There must be many expats here looking for something like this.

Don't want to buy a big safe, or not acceptable to drill into walls or floors for a small one.

Yet want somewhere to store important items -- such as computer backups -- away from home.

Which brings up another point about this -- the importance of keeping computer backups OFF-site.

McGriffith's suggestion above got me thinking about buying a safe.

If I rolled a safe into this apartment, the maid (serviced apartment) would immediately notice the next morning when she came in to clean.

Within hours, every employee in the building would know about the new safe in 810.

Before the weekend, half the Thais working on this street would know about the rich farang with the new safe, exactly where he lived, and exactly what he looked like.

By the end of the month, the word would have spread to the whole neighborhood.

I don't want to come home some night to meet various young men waiting in the shadows, carrying coconut chopping knives, saying something like, "Excuse us, Krap, but we want to see the inside of your new safe."

That's why I'm looking for someplace off the premises; not where I live.

Hoping to find some useful options, and, I expect, other expats are, too.

One option occured to me: ask my lawyer about moving a safe into his storage room.

He's already got a safe in the office, so one more wouldn't be remarkable at all.

Of course, would expect to pay a fee for that.

It's the best I've been able to think of, so far.

What are other expats doing for secure storage?

-

The OP stated: So I don't trust that little box at all.

I think this is the crux of the issue here. In order to maintain safety inside your room, DON'T bring anyone else to your room!!!

Then, nobody will have access to the safe or know about your items of value. There is always a short time room for those fun moments.

Those little boxes have sticky fingers and big eyes.

Hotel, such as the Montri?

Interesting idea.

I would have thought only for registered guests, but this idea is worth some research.

However, the Montri doesn't strike me as very diligent about security.

I used to rent a safety box there when I wasn't a guest and never had a problem. The Montri has CCTV all over the hotel and TV monitors in the lobby. Best of all, they have such a good staff, that I wouldn't worry about anyone there stealing. That is the most important point in my opinion.

I used to rent a safety box there when I wasn't a guest and never had a problem. The Montri has CCTV all over the hotel and TV monitors in the lobby. Best of all, they have such a good staff, that I wouldn't worry about anyone there stealing. That is the most important point in my opinion.

Excellent points.

Thank you, Ulysses.

So, seems worthwhile going over to the Montri and asking.

I wonder if they have a safety box big enough for the laptop.

With so many expats in Chiangmai, I'm surprised there aren't several ways to solve this problem.

But discussing it here has provided some possibilities.

McGriffith's post above alerted me to importance of storing laptop computer when out of town.

And I'm willing to buy a safe big enough for the laptop.

Buying a safe is no problem in CM, but where to put it, off-site?

Is there any business in CM that would rent about one square metre of floor space?

And that is secure and trustworthy for this purpose.

I'd rent a small "storage locker," but I don't know of any in CM.

Are there storage lockers here?

What are other expats doing?

Or, maybe it's a problem which has no solution in Chiangmai.

Where to store valuable items, safe and secure, but not a bank safe deposit box?

Or, might there be some "creative" alternatives to accomplish the same objective?

How about burying them in a secret place, in a watertight container?

The Montri has small safety boxes that are available to the public for 50 baht per day and big ones for 70. I checked last night. You must leave a deposit of around 1,000 baht in case you lose the key, but they will give it back for sure for the key. :o

The Montri has small safety boxes that are available to the public for 50 baht per day and big ones for 70. I checked last night. You must leave a deposit of around 1,000 baht in case you lose the key, but they will give it back for sure for the key. :o

Thank you for getting up-to-date facts -- very helpful.

Similar to "left luggage" service at airport or train station, except much more secure.

Valuable service for tourists needing safe place to keep passport for a few days.

50 baht per day comes up to 18,250 per year.

70 baht per day works out to 25,550 per year.

Obviously aimed at the tourist just passing through, not long-term expats.

I'll need to stop by and ask if monthly or yearly rates available.

If so, would be a good solution to this problem.

And if The Montri offers this, does anyone know of any other hotels?

Update on safety boxes at The Montri Hotel.

I went in there today.

When asked about safety box rental, response from reception clerk was very UN-interested.

She did that head-turn-away motion that Chinese do when they don't want to bother with you.

But, yes, when I asked again, she admitted that, if available, can rent by the day at 50/70 baht per day.

When I asked about monthly rate, the reaction was even more negative.

Duty manager (I assume), who was listening nearby, came over, sternly said, "Rent by day only. No monthly rate."

Then he turned and walked away.

And that was the end of that.

For the tourist passing through, Montri offers secure storage for a few days.

But due to price and "attitude", it's not attractive for the long-term expat.

At least, not this expat.

Well, looks like this is a problem for which Chiangmai has no clear solution.

However, for a practical example in a nearby country, one need only look to Penang, Malaysia.

In a one shopping center, there is a shop offering rental space for personal safes.

(Shopping center: "Bukit Jambul Complex")

You buy your own safe, whatever size you wish.

Can buy one of theirs for sale, or buy elsewhere and bring in to their shop.

They have a security room -- not a vault, but a room surrounded by welded steel bars.

Looks somewhat like an old-style prison cell.

Plus, has alarm systems and security cameras.

For a modest monthly fee, you can keep whatever you wish in your safe.

The fee depends on the size of your safe.

The shop has neither key, nor combination, so only the customer has access.

What they are offering is protection against theft.

Protection against fire depends on customer's selection of safe.

Open during normal shopping hours at the mall.

Very convenient.

I talked with the owner.

He said mostly used by small jewelry shops and manufacturers -- whose premises are not very secure.

Said he would welcome any expats as customers.

But that was in Penang.

Edited by Oneman

Or a safe in your apt....no gangsters with coconut knives in my neighborhood! :D

C'mon oneman- 'fess up. What are you looking to lock up? Sounds WAY more valuable that a ext HDD, documents and a watch....

Sure it isn't something like this?:

post-23786-1218116658.jpg

:o

• 3 years later...

Or a safe in your apt....no gangsters with coconut knives in my neighborhood! :D

C'mon oneman- 'fess up. What are you looking to lock up? Sounds WAY more valuable that a ext HDD, documents and a watch....

Sure it isn't something like this?:

post-23786-1218116658.jpg

:o

LOL funny picture..... gold caN be even your safety door.. lol

I have to wonder what is wrong with using a safety box in a bank. About 2,000 baht per year and I have never had a problem.

i have one too but the issue is more what happens if you die? even the bank tell me its a bitch getting the box opened by anyone other than your legal wife (i am single)

Put the stuff in your refrigerator in a sealed food container -- maybe a container that originally held prunes or nuts. Reasonably safe from fire and flooding and if it's something really western and repugnant to Thai visitors, then it probably wouldn't fall prey to a house guest.

Edited by NancyL

Put the stuff in your refrigerator in a sealed food container -- maybe a container that originally held prunes or nuts. Reasonably safe from fire and flooding and if it's something really western and repugnant to Thai visitors, then it probably wouldn't fall prey to a house guest.

NancyL, good idea to store valuables in the refrigerator. Maybe emptying a carton of something that isn't ready to eat, like flour, and then wrapping passport, money, jewelry in a plastic bag and hiding inside.

Google the Southwest Specialty Products site for more ideas. Their hollowed out books are especially effective although not fireproof. And a book would definitely look out of place in the refrigerator.

There are tutorials online for do-it-yourself hollow books. And one large enough to hide a laptop can probably be made from two big coffee table type books glued together, gutted and then kept horizontal on a table or shelf.