Does Giving Money To Thai Girl Do Harm To Her Familiy

philstone

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people don't have the ability to run with the ball when given the opportunity. Sometimes it's like giving money to beggars, they don't exactly go out and invest it or start a business.

:o

I think Heng has summed it up nicely, a lot of people have little or no ambition to do something with an opportunity like this. Be careful when you decide to stop giving t hem money then its you that may experience the pain.

The thread isn't pointless, just recycled. The question has been answered in previous threads. I'm bored so I'll give it a go. Blindly giving the family money is counterproductive. Getting to understand the families real needs is more difficult and many don't have the energy for this, hence many just send the cash with no rules. My wife's parents died years ago, but her sister's kids need books and school lunch money. With any luck, they will also need money for college. If the kids get an education that I paid for, my money wasn't wasted.

I also replaced the shack they lived in with a functional house. Are they better off – hel_l YES!

In my own case I have never given my wife's family money, and neither has my wife. I don't really see anything wrong with people taking care of their in-laws if they can afford to do it. I think it will be a problem though if you do it and suddenly decide to stop.

Edited by garro

I am happy to help my in-laws, according to *my* definition of help.

My definition: Go there, repair and improve things around the house (usually paying from the materials), buy some food and drink for family, take them around to visit others (my vehicle and fuel), etc.

I have given money for specific purposes. For example, the youngest sister in law put the "home place" (house and 7 rai) up as security for a 50,000 baht loan...I have no idea what she did with the money. She made a couple of payments then could not make any more. The finance company (local) was as good as they could be about it, but were about to the point where they had to foreclose. I paid off the loan (38,000 and change) with the stipulation that the land had to go back into Mom's name. Done deal. And my wife now has physical possession of the paper for the land.

Thai definition: Give money blindly. This is great for show and to be a bigshot around the village. My wife thought it was pretty good to give 100 baht here and there to her 20 -30 year old nephews so they could buy whiskey and cigarettes. Until the next time she asked me for money and I was able to recite how much she had given to each, and stated that she must not need money from me since she gave it away....end of that nonsense.

Long answer to short question, I know.

IMO, it does not do harm if it is managed.

The only money i have given is for my gf mum and 2 brothers to have an inside toilet and kitchen.The older brother built them and only cost 40,000 baht.The only thing i stipulated was i didnt want a crouch toilet but a european one lol.This was more for me realy,when we visit.Nid noi money for birthdays and mothers day also.

Yeap, my wife father gives us money. I'm with the young crew who are in Thailand or comming to Thailand, its not uncommon for foreigner to be married to well off Thai girls. My wife is probably not hi so but there definately up there.

Its just many older foreigner just cant accept the young guns getting the goods

Yeap, my wife father gives us money. I'm with the young crew who are in Thailand or comming to Thailand, its not uncommon for foreigner to be married to well off Thai girls. My wife is probably not hi so but there definately up there.

Why would your Father in Law give you money, don't you have the means to support yourself and your wife, don't you have a job ?

I bet the Father in Law is so proud of his Son in Law.... :o

Edited by Maigo6

Why would your Father in Law give you money, don't you have the means to support yourself and your wife, don't you have a job ?

I bet the Father in Law is over the moon about his Son in Law.... :o

He didnt give me money, he gave US money. Its not a huge amount, but its not bad. Plus he wants us to do some kind of business and wants his daughter to be looked after properly. He thinks by always giving us money he is doing his part. I cant really complain now can I

Experience and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm every time :o

I bet the Father in Law is over the moon about his Son in Law.... :D

He didnt give me money, he gave US money. Its not a huge amount, but its not bad. Plus he wants us to do some kind of business and wants his daughter to be looked after properly. He thinks by always giving us money he is doing his part. I cant really complain now can I

If the Father of the girl I married was supporting US, I'd hang my head in shame.

I reckon he just sends the money to you out of fear. :o

wants his daughter to be looked after properly.

Divorce is on the cards then. :o

Sorry mate, but if I had to support my daughter and her husband, I'd wonder where she went wrong, even if the guy does have a body like yours! :D

I bet the Father in Law is over the moon about his Son in Law.... :D

If the Father of the girl I married was supporting US, I'd hang my head in shame.

I reckon he just sends the money to you out of fear. :o

He is not supporting us, he just gives us money every now and then as he is well off and has everything he needs.

Yeah he probably gives us money coz he is scared of me

I bet the Father in Law is over the moon about his Son in Law.... :o

That's novel, Don.

I've never heard of that in Thailand.

Does your wife have any older single sisters?

Sorry mate, but if I had to support my daughter and her husband, I'd wonder where she went wrong, even if the guy does have a body like yours! :D

Nah he is a type of bloke who has too much pride and think he is looking after everyone in his family. He still thinks he is the man of the family, me and the wife make good money and have saved up aa bit of cash, he also has helped.

Hey her sister is splitting up with husband as she found out he is gay. Anyone want to be my brother inlaw? :D

There is a world of difference between Charity and Largesse.

The best Charity aims to help people to gain the skills/education/means to stand on their own two feet. The worst charity creates a dependency (look at the welfare mess back west), and in that respect heads down the road of largesse.

The Don gives a good example of this. Most of us at his age were fiercely independent and proud of standing on our own two feet, accepting money from our inlaws would I am sure have been out of the quesiton. Gifts with hooks attached.

Experience and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm every time

Gets my vote for quote of the week.

Nah he is a type of bloke who has too much pride and think he is looking after everyone in his family. He still thinks he is the man of the family, me and the wife make good money and have saved up aa bit of cash, he also has helped.

Hey her sister is splitting up with husband as she found out he is gay. Anyone want to be my brother inlaw? :D

I will, you can teach me some spin kicks. :D

Did he send you the money so that you would stay away from his daughter?

Nah he is a type of bloke who has too much pride

So you're total opposites. :o

Second quote of the month/ week in one topic--I agree with Maigo on this--never took handouts from anyone.

Dont give a XXXX for your spin kick <deleted>, either.

I will always continue to so slinging spinning snap kicks to peoples head, It doesnt really matter if one believes me or not as this is just an internet forum.

But I bet you there is many foreigners who have married into a rich Thai family, its not uncommon these days as more and more younger blokes and comming to Thailand these days and alot of the richer/medium class girls find us younger guys attractive and not looking for money in a realtionship.

I give money to my Thai Girl she gives it to her family. I feel that I am hurting the family.

After 7 years they are in worst shape then before she met me.

It depends on the family member. We send money to GF's Mum every month but not to brothers and sisters because they can work and support themselves. If you sent money to the whole family and they got lazy and stopped working, then yes, I would say that isn't very beneficial.