Crime Rate In Thailand

fred2007

I am a newcomer to this country and I just wonder how safe it is to live here. I get told by my wife

don't walk alone on the streets because you are a farang and they might kill you because they think

you have money. Also we have a hostel (well call it accommodation) about 20 km away which is normally

staffed 24 hour a day seven days a week. But some times the staff takes a few days off so we have to fill in. So my wife and I stay there over night and we ask my mother in law to stay there during day

time. She ( the mother in law ) is happy to do that but my wife insists it is not safe for her. Is my wife

just being to protective or is it realy that bad that some one can not be alone in there house.

By the way, the police station is just 100m away.

I am a newcomer to this country and I just wonder how safe it is to live here. I get told by my wife

don't walk alone on the streets because you are a farang and they might kill you because they think

you have money. Also we have a hostel (well call it accommodation) about 20 km away which is normally

staffed 24 hour a day seven days a week. But some times the staff takes a few days off so we have to fill in. So my wife and I stay there over night and we ask my mother in law to stay there during day

time. She ( the mother in law ) is happy to do that but my wife insists it is not safe for her. Is my wife

just being to protective or is it realy that bad that some one can not be alone in there house.

By the way, the police station is just 100m away.

Where in Thailand are you based? There's generally safe and dangerous places everywhere, even in Thailand but I reckon it's probably safer for you as a farang than it is for your Thai family. I suspect your family is just being over protective but don't let that statement allow you to lower your guard.

I used to think Thailand was a safe place until I lived here but I also used to think San Francisco was safe until I lived there. I think if you stay in well lit highly frequented areas you will be fine. But I would not want to be alone on a dark soi after dark.

GLOBAL PEACE INDEX

Survey finds nation more dangerous

source: BKK Post/Reuters May 22 2008

Thailand slipped to 118th from last year's 105th in the second annual Global Peace Index survey released on Tuesday, which ranked Iceland as the world's most peaceful nation. This year's index covered 140 countries in comparison to 121 nations when it debuted a year ago.

Thailand scored poorly in four of 24 criteria used as indicators: levels of violent crime, political instability, respect for human rights, and the potential for terrorist acts. Only Burma, at 126th, was placed lower than Thailand among nine of the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Based on a comparison of 121 countries in the same index last year, scores were slightly improved for levels of violent crimes, political instability and the potential for terrorist acts, said a statement accompanying the release of the index on Tuesday.

I know Thailand has a very high murder rate - about 4 times higher than most European countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count..._by_murder_rate

Unfortunately the stats for Thailand have not been updated since 2000. Many would argue that the real figure is much higher as murders are often not recorded or classified as "Accidental Death" or "Suicide".

• 1 year later...
I know Thailand has a very high murder rate - about 4 times higher than most European countries:

Unfortunately the stats for Thailand have not been updated since 2000. Many would argue that the real figure is much higher as murders are often not recorded or classified as "Accidental Death" or "Suicide".

Thailand is far from safe. Basically, they got their own way of running things which involves taking everything from you and when you are broke you will leave their country. Next victim. So, crime usually happens when you get smart and don't let them cheat you or not doing what they tell you when they tell you. That makes them lose face, seem weak and pathetic as they really are, and that gets them angry. Then come violence. That's how they work. Most loser farangs just accept it and live like dogs. It's pathetic.

Thailand is far from safe. Basically, they got their own way of running things which involves taking everything from you and when you are broke you will leave their country. Next victim. So, crime usually happens when you get smart and don't let them cheat you or not doing what they tell you when they tell you. That makes them lose face, seem weak and pathetic as they really are, and that gets them angry. Then come violence. That's how they work. Most loser farangs just accept it and live like dogs. It's pathetic.

Woof, grr woof woof! :)

Thailand is well known for beautiful beaches and cheap women.Not law and order.

I can't say that there is no crime in Thailand but I think the perception of crime and actually rates are entirely different.

My wifes family live in a small town and are totally paranoid that 'something will happen' all of the time.

Doors are locked even when they are in the house, windows are shuttered(there are bars on all the windows) when they leave the house even for 5 minutes.

It's not just mum and dad but my two sisters in laws too. Thankfully my wife is not so bad as that kind of security would drive me crazy.

My wife and I now live in a small village and the inlaws are convinced we will soon be the victims of some crime or other, so much so that the two sisters in law stopped mum and dad staying at our house when we were away for a while.

When I go out for a long cycle ride my MIL is convinced I won't return home alive as I'm likely to be mugged out in the country.

I try to tell them that the village is nice and safe but it falls on deaf ears. In the years I have been here I have heard of only one cooking gas cylinder going missing, thats all.

I too live out in the boonies. Other than kids fighting during parties and dances, there is very little violent crime here. That said, the thieves are numerous and sneaky. Anything not fastened down will be stolen. You can count on that. My wife's garden is now within two meter high block walls because a garden out in the open will have anything in it stolen. We have two ponds on her two small farms and all the fish have been stolen.

true! in 25 years visiting Thailand as a tourist and the 5 years i am living here i have been murdered several times. luckily i believe in reincarnation. so no big deal.

:)

Thailand is well known for beautiful beaches and cheap women.Not law and order.

I know, and after 6 years of living here, I am well aware of that. But, I am not here for beaches or cheap women, but business. And I am not concerned with law and order being an expert in martial arts, former airborne, and well connected with local powers, but this is for those who are not aware of how dangerous Thailand can be. There is a reason why Thais have a very concerned look on them all the time, not the tourist areas where they pretend to smile to get your cash, but in all Thai areas. I doubt you will see even one smile. One Thai girl told me that she don't want to go around looking like monkey idiot smiling all the time, and that they only do it for tourists to get their cash and create illusion of friendly Thailand. I don't hate Thailand, but let's be realistic here. For those that can be realistic.

I can't say that there is no crime in Thailand but I think the perception of crime and actually rates are entirely different.

My wifes family live in a small town and are totally paranoid that 'something will happen' all of the time.

Doors are locked even when they are in the house, windows are shuttered(there are bars on all the windows) when they leave the house even for 5 minutes.

It's not just mum and dad but my two sisters in laws too. Thankfully my wife is not so bad as that kind of security would drive me crazy.

My wife and I now live in a small village and the inlaws are convinced we will soon be the victims of some crime or other, so much so that the two sisters in law stopped mum and dad staying at our house when we were away for a while.

When I go out for a long cycle ride my MIL is convinced I won't return home alive as I'm likely to be mugged out in the country.

I try to tell them that the village is nice and safe but it falls on deaf ears. In the years I have been here I have heard of only one cooking gas cylinder going missing, thats all.

H ahahahahah this reminds me of my Dad in rural Wales in the UK he says once a bicycle got stolen in the village.............. BIG NEWS he would say!!

I dont think some crime is as bad but when it goes wrong there is little thoguht for the consequences. Personally in 4 years I have never had any problem or felt threatened in any way.

My wife did have her bicycle stolen at Seacon Square. She cried so much I bought her a Honda Jazz!! It hasnt been stolen yet???

Un-provoked violence is almost unheard of and that, in my opinion, makes Thailand a safe country. But if you provoke people then you stand a higher risk of someone exploding on you in Thailand than in Europe or America. Discipline and fear of the law is not necessarily going to hold back the provoked here. Violence and murder is much higher here yes, but you are only at risk if you have done something. Now, of course, that something may not warrant to murder you but still, if you hadn't done something, nothing would have happened to you. Maybe I should add: Unless you are really really unlucky

I have lived in Thailand since 1991 and I have never ever felt threatened, I left my helmets un-locked on the motor cycle everywhere in Bangkok for 10 years before someone finally stole one. 10! years, it wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in London and 1 minute in Miami or New York

Edited by MikeyIdea

It really isnt easy to tell a lot from international comparisons because their data definitions vary widely. Thailand seems to score a bit on the high side for murder rates but that is because they use 'reported homicide' numbers rather than convictions - arrests for homicide is about half the number of reported victims (but, of course, arrest rates might be low.)

You could choose a different crime statistic such as assault rate. Here you will find that both the US and UK's annual assault rate at over 7 per 1000 is 20x that of Thailand at 0.31. However, everyone knows that the majority of assaults get sorted out 'sub-judice' here. (Iceland rank fairly high up here too!!)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21674/Crime-Statistics-Assaults

Even wandering along a soi at night. According to ICVS, 83% of Americans are scared of walking in their local neighborhood after dark.

Un-provoked violence is almost unheard of and that, in my opinion, makes Thailand a safe country. But if you provoke people then you stand a higher risk of someone exploding on you in Thailand than in Europe or America. Discipline and fear of the law is not necessarily going to hold back the provoked here. Violence and murder is much higher here yes, but you are only at risk if you have done something. Now, of course, that something may not warrant to murder you but still, if you hadn't done something, nothing would have happened to you. Maybe I should add: Unless you are really really unlucky

I have lived in Thailand since 1991 and I have never ever felt threatened, I left my helmets un-locked on the motor cycle everywhere in Bangkok for 10 years before someone finally stole one. 10! years, it wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in London and 1 minute in Miami or New York

"Un-provoked violence is almost unheard of and that, in my opinion, makes Thailand a safe country."

I am not sure what your definition of unprovoked violence is but your statement is rather curious indeed.

If you are hit on the back on the head with a club and robbed late at night is this unprovoked violence or provoked because you shouldn't be out at night.

You should mention this little pearl of wisdon to all the tourists who have been mugged, raped, beaten, killed (a little bit hard for them to hear but..) whilst on holiday in Thailand.

Do you really think that they were all asking for it?

For Brits and Aussies Thailand is by far and away the most dangerous tourist destination bar none.

You can check out the relevant stats on the govt websites.

"Un-provoked violence is almost unheard of and that, in my opinion, makes Thailand a safe country."

I am not sure what your definition of unprovoked violence is but your statement is rather curious indeed.

If you are hit on the back on the head with a club and robbed late at night is this unprovoked violence or provoked because you shouldn't be out at night.

Unless the tourists had done something earlier to provoke a Thai, then that's of course un-provoked violence.

I speak out of my own experience, and I include quite a few long time friends here, all of us are 15 + years living in Thailand and none of us have the habit of going near Patpong style areas. We all agree that Thaland feels much much safer than Nothern Europe does.

I can't and don't try to answer for Patpong style areas, neither I or my friends have been to places like that the last 10 years