Sources Of Mediterranean Plants Or Seeds In Thailand?

rychrde

Hi, did a search on this within this forum but couldn't find anything.

Does anybody know a source of Mediterranean plants or seeds in Thailand?

I have some land and wanted to experiment with some European plants such as rosemary, lavender, rocket salad etc. Have looked into olives too, but suspect the land here has too much clay and prone to waterlogging - hence the ubiquitous eucalyptus trees.

I know, can just order seeds from Europe but have not as yet investigated the pitfalls of ordering actual plants and if they'd survive.

any help appreciated

Rych

Hello rychrde, I grew rosemary from seed here, no real problems.

rice555

Hi, where did you get the seeds from?

And thanks sbk for the link. Had a look at Plants & Pets but is 99% about pets and gave up!

The link, for anybody else who may need it is to AFM Group

http://www.afmgroup.com/afm/company/index.htm

However, they specialize in flowering plants rather than in herbs, vegetables and trees... so still looking!

Thanks for such quick replies

Hello rychrde, of the seed I order, it's all through the US. If you want Mediterranean seed, check the country you want here: http://www.seedquest.com/whitepages/index.htm Just pick the country you want seed from.

I don't know anything about shipping.

From the last batch I got from the States, I ordered some chick peas(garbanzo beans) to try and they are from an old(1896) seed Co. in Italy. I can't read the package. It didn't say from the Med. in their catalog.

I don't know where your from, but I've found it easiest to order from my home country, it's in english, I can order online and research is much easer and most likely find what I want. The Seed Quest site has a search function that helpful sometimes. Just delete every thing behind .com/ to get to the main page.

The rosemary seed I used was from: www.johnnyseed.com

If you want to try 'rooting' a cutting, I've seen in a few places in BKK and PTY, most big garden/farm supply stores have rooting compound for around B.40 for a small jar. The one I have is from a place in BKK, their phone # 02 236 1988 or 02 235 5559. Sorry the lable isn't clearer.

rice555

post-37242-1217955380_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1217955469_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys

Please be careful, it is very dangerous and highly illegal to import seed without following the correct procedures and clearing it with Thai Plant Quarantine. I know alot of guys bring in a few seeds with their luggage, just for their vege patch. For the vege garden, most seeds can be found at the local store or contact a company like Green Seeds or East-West, that specialize in seed varieties for the tropics.

I would guess that if you try to ship here by mail or freight, it would have a high chance of being picked up by Thai Customs. And never making it to the farm.

As you know fresh food and meat gets exported around the world, and the food that is moved by bulk does have stringent guidelines to meet the Plant Quarantine laws of the destination. And all the containers get checked on arrival at the port of destination. But seed is a another step along the chain.

With seed we are taking the seed to the HEART of another countries (continent) agriculture, and planting this seed alongside native plants and crops. The thing is the seed you import may have a virus, fungus, bacteria or something that is not yet in Thailand, and by your innocent few plants of lavender there is a possibility that you could import a pathogen that either wipes out some native vegetation and then in-turn affecting the wildlife. And/or cost the Thai economy and Agriculture millions/billions of baht having to control some new pathogen in their chiles or basil or something.

It all sounds melo-dramatic, but why take the risk?

1. Seed Companies are available here

2. The seed locally brought variety will be more suited to the climate and environment

3. AND for the lavender and rosemary, get onto East-West seeds. They will take care of of the Phyto-sanitary papers and other crap that you need to do to import seed, of course at at fee.

Good Luck

SAP