Shell Game Scam Still Going On In Pattaya

jaansinatra

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but this has been happening regularly during the two years I've been using that station

So why do you still go there????? This gas station has been the subject of numerous threads over the past two years and one poster has reported them to shell head office yet people still go there, unbelievable.

but this has been happening regularly during the two years I've been using that station

So why do you still go there????? This gas station has been the subject of numerous threads over the past two years and one poster has reported them to shell head office yet people still go there, unbelievable.

You're right, should be boycotting them but unfortunately I'm lazy and they're closest both to where I live and where I work.

// Johan

And the scam goes on and on ............!

I know,bloody terrible 'innit.Who would've believed it,a "scam" :( here in our beloved "Pattaya,Thailand".....and there's me thinking

that the whole city and country was squeaky-clean and corruption-free.I'm stunned!!!! :D .

I'm not quite sure what is more shocking,the actual long-running scam itself......OR........the willingness of people to continue

to patronise the place after they've had dodgy experiences of the place :D .Bottom line folks,for the zillionth time,you can travel to

other bloody stations.....and well,if you don't because the Shell one is closer and you don't like the inconvenience of a couple minutes

drive....don't start complaining all over again,because you knew the way this station operates and have de. facto. no excuses.

It's a bit like joining the Army and then feeling terribly aggrieved at having your leg blown off in combat.Just like the person who is

conned at Shell,I feel sorry for them.....but if you don't want to potentially get seriously injured or ripped-off at a Petrol Station

just don't godaam join the Army or go to this Shell Station.If you "do" decide on this course of action...well...as the British Army used

to say about the IRA in Northern Ireland that they shot dead.."BIG BOYS RULES"..you knew what you were doing and the risks sooooo..

DON'T COMPLAIN OR WINGE WHEN THE SHIT HITS THE FAN :o:D:D .

Edited by lalana

I know,bloody terrible 'innit.Who would've believed it,a "scam" :( here in our beloved "Pattaya,Thailand".....and there's me thinking

that the whole city and country was squeaky-clean and corruption-free.I'm stunned!!!! :D .

I'm not quite sure what is more shocking,the actual long-running scam itself......OR........the willingness of people to continue

to patronise the place after they've had dodgy experiences of the place :D .Bottom line folks,for the zillionth time,you can travel to

other bloody stations.....and well,if you don't because the Shell one is closer and you don't like the inconvenience of a couple minutes

drive....don't start complaining all over again,because you knew the way this station operates and have de. facto. no excuses.

It's a bit like joining the Army and then feeling terribly aggrieved at having your leg blown off in combat.Just like the person who is

conned at Shell,I feel sorry for them.....but if you don't want to potentially get seriously injured or ripped-off at a Petrol Station

just don't godaam join the Army or go to this Shell Station.If you "do" decide on this course of action...well...as the British Army used

to say about the IRA in Northern Ireland that they shot dead.."BIG BOYS RULES"..you knew what you were doing and the risks sooooo..

So the fact that scams are common means we shouldn't warn each other about them?

The only one I've seen complaining in this thread is you....

I know,bloody terrible 'innit.Who would've believed it,a "scam" :D here in our beloved "Pattaya,Thailand".....and there's me thinking

that the whole city and country was squeaky-clean and corruption-free.I'm stunned!!!! :( .

So the fact that scams are common means we shouldn't warn each other about them?

The only one I've seen complaining in this thread is you....

Agreed.

Just because it has been reported that it has happened before, it does not mean it cannot be reported on here again as still happening, after all, I am sure new members do not go reading through pages and pages of old posts therefor they would not know.

Leave the OP alone. He was only trying to save someone else being scammed. :D

I guess I should weigh in again and mention that I have not been ripped off at that gas station. I have seen them start towards my bike without resetting the pump, and have politely asked them to reset it to zero first, which they've done, without ever getting grumpy, upset or abusive.

(That's when riding the Honda Phantom or the Harley.)

I must lead a charmed life though, because it seems that every thing always happens to other people for some reason. I've never been attacked/assaulted/pick-pocketed/felt-up on Beach Road "in the wee hours of the morning". Never been nearly run-over by time-share touts. Never had anyone try to snatch the chain from my neck. Never had a baht bus driver threaten me.

Wow, I never realised how boring my life must be ! :o

This has been going on for at least 4 years that I know of. And I was one who was attempted to be scammed by them about 4 years ago now. However I got suspicious by the staffs behaviour at trying to cover up the pump with 2 other staff members. I saw what they did and got out of the car and challenged them. They said sorry and returned the 250 Baht they overcharged me without any protest and blamed one of the staff as being new!!!

Do not go there. Easy as that.

This has been going on for at least 4 years that I know of. And I was one who was attempted to be scammed by them about 4 years ago now. However I got suspicious by the staffs behaviour at trying to cover up the pump with 2 other staff members. I saw what they did and got out of the car and challenged them. They said sorry and returned the 250 Baht they overcharged me without any protest and blamed one of the staff as being new!!!

Do not go there. Easy as that.

:o:D ....just about sums it up.Everything else is,well....."phy,fabulae.."......end of thread & end of issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had the misfortune to be driving down Pattaya Tai when hubby anounced "fuel light has come on need to go to this garage", some employees are obviously aware of the scam as the lady who served us was almost dramatic in her pointing to the pump for us to see it was clear, luckily for us no scam on the one, and probably only visit here, although the few pumps I could see(craning the neck a lot to check about past posts here, no scams visible, we may have hit on the honest shift!) or maybe only one bad apple as they say.

Its a well known rip of joint and they scam everyone. I was scammed about a year ago, i drove off and noticed the fuel gauge on my bike hardly moved with 100 baht worth of fuel. I pulled over, turned the bike off and on and started tapping the gauge thinking it was broken (then realized they scammed me). I have now been using the garage at the top of Pattaya Tai on Sukenvit road and haven't had one problem there in the last year...

It's pretty clear that this scam has been going on for years. Someone mentioned it's just one or two bad apples at the place. Sorry, the management is running this scam. How can this be going on for years and only one or two people doing it? Are you telling me the same young kid(s) have been there for 4 years? I don't think so! The owner(managers) are in on this to make extra beer money.

I guess I should weigh in again and mention that I have not been ripped off at that gas station. I have seen them start towards my bike without resetting the pump, and have politely asked them to reset it to zero first, which they've done, without ever getting grumpy, upset or abusive.

(That's when riding the Honda Phantom or the Harley.)

I must lead a charmed life though, because it seems that every thing always happens to other people for some reason. I've never been attacked/assaulted/pick-pocketed/felt-up on Beach Road "in the wee hours of the morning". Never been nearly run-over by time-share touts. Never had anyone try to snatch the chain from my neck. Never had a baht bus driver threaten me.

Wow, I never realised how boring my life must be ! :o

Very impressive...The right guy for Thailand!

M. :D

Like so many of you I have had bad experiences there and my friends also. Year after year. Here is a link to the Thailand Shell Staion web site with contact info.

http://www.shell.com//home/Framework?siteId=thailand-en

Feel free to unload at the contact email address or by telephone. I am sure the head office will get right on this. They will want to know where thier cut of the money is.

--------------------

LLL

• 1 month later...

My last few visits to this station have been uneventful. There are official signs on the pumps that alert the customer to this rip off problem. I can say the company has made an effort to stop this problem.

The mood at the pump seems to have changed also. Good effecient service. Would like to think it was this form that corrected this problem but who knows.

Happy motoring,

:D:o:D:(:D:D

PS sorry this was on another thread but Happy to see things have changed

Edited by threelegcowboy

• 3 months later...

In the news in the last year was that several employees of the Shell station on south pattaya road weren't resetting the pumps and charging unknowing customers the full charge and pocketing the difference. This came to a head and all their staff were fired. This past week, I went to Shell on Sukhumvit (south of Jomtien) and the same scam was attempted but I no longer remove my tank's lid until I see the pump reset much to the shagrin of the attendant/thief. Be careful.

In the news in the last year was that several employees of the Shell station on south pattaya road weren't resetting the pumps and charging unknowing customers the full charge and pocketing the difference. This came to a head and all their staff were fired. This past week, I went to Shell on Sukhumvit (south of Jomtien) and the same scam was attempted but I no longer remove my tank's lid until I see the pump reset much to the shagrin of the attendant/thief. Be careful.

Do they have those WARNING SIGNS at this station south of Jomtien?

post-77132-1234851699_thumb.jpg

they are still doing it in south pattaya, especially that one guy who was allover the forums last year....just keep sending mails to shell singapore, all details on prior posts....with the slowing economy scams, muggings and cheating is increasing fast....

tit......what a lovely place... :o

The Shell station on south Pattaya road has a tape running on an endless loop with a female voice saying (acc. to my wife) in Thai that people should check that the pump is being reset (or something along those lines).

Makes me want to start pulling my hair out after just a few minutes waiting in line.

Any empathy towards the people working there quickly evaporat when I remind myself about the enormous amount of people that have been scammed there - myself included.

Shell station south Pattaya road. They are still at it. Unfortunately I got caught there on the 16th. I asked for 500 bahts worth, tried to look over at the pump meter and thought I saw it indicating about 200. By then it was too late. Checked my fuel gauge on the way out, to find it only indicated half full. I had this horrible sinking feeling, and knew I had been caught out. By then it was too late to do anything.

There were two of the Shell blokes at the pump, one keeps you talking to try and distract your attention away from the meter indication. Watch out....!

Certainly, I think, do not open the fuel cap until you have seen the pump reset.

Why would ya go back there, many warnings on this forum plus newspaper coverage, if I remember rightly, the one time we had to go there, emergency-tank very low, I, in passenger seat, checked reset pump, and make sure zero balance. Best advice DO NOT GO THERE OR TO OTHER PLACES WITH THE SAME SCAM, simple really, if you think about it. Take advice and warnings as offered, we filled up at pattaya tai after reading postings on here, so forewarned was forearmed so to speak and checked to make sure no rip-off.

Simple solution: get off yer arse and do not remove the tank's lid until the pump is reset.

I always get out of the car and stand by the attendant until the pump is reset and watch him fill it to the amount I say. No problems so far. :o