Honda Shows Face 250cc Coming

The rumor go's around that Honda will introduce a full line of motorcycles into Thailand from the beginning of 2009. And that this will include 250cc and higher engine displacement bikes and it will be a full range of Japanese imported motorcycle models.

All of this larger motorcycles will be imported under the Thai-Japanese free-trade-agreement, which provides a zero import duty on Japanese manufactured motorcycles in 2009. Motorcycles with a engine capacity higher then 125cc but smaller then the ASEAN 250cc standard will be imported from one of the new ASEAN regional manufacturing hubs.

The rumor also suggest that AP-Honda, the Thai licensed Honda manufacturer would concentrate on manufacturing scooters and motorcycles with a engine displacement smaller then 125cc.

This rumors are partly based on speeches made by Honda executives in Thailand and Malaysia. In Thailand during the introduction of the Honda CZ-i110 and in Malaysia during the announcement of the joint venture of Honda Japan and Malaysian Boon Siew Honda Sdn in creating a regional production hub.

Good thing on one hand, too late for me though.

It is time that Thailand open the market for bigger bikes as long as they are not produced here.

However....considering current motorcyle driving licenses, I fear that we'll see soon 16 yo boys riding 250+ cc Bikes....

Not a good idea!

It is time that Thailand open the market for bigger bikes as long as they are not produced here.

However....considering current motorcyle driving licenses, I fear that we'll see soon 16 yo boys riding 250+ cc Bikes....

Not a good idea!

That is a bit scary....they just need to keep the larger bikes at a high enough price point to keep the young Somchais off them.

The rumor go's around that Honda will introduce a full line of motorcycles into Thailand from the beginning of 2009. And that this will include 250cc and higher engine displacement bikes and it will be a full range of Japanese imported motorcycle models.

All of this larger motorcycles will be imported under the Thai-Japanese free-trade-agreement, which provides a zero import duty on Japanese manufactured motorcycles in 2009. Motorcycles with a engine capacity higher then 125cc but smaller then the ASEAN 250cc standard will be imported from one of the new ASEAN regional manufacturing hubs.

So is this saying that 600 or 1000 sized machines will come in tax free ??

I read similar about the Oz FTA too...

Must they be new machines ?? (whats an FZ6N run to in Japan new ??)

Sure makes buying any new machine at 500k plus a dodgy proposition as this could halve the price of them and compress the resale market if true. I am thinking about those kind of BMW 1200's going for 800k etc.

Not a good idea!

That is a bit scary....they just need to keep the larger bikes at a high enough price point to keep the young Somchais off them.

Considering the, in my opinion, ridiculous amount of personal debt the average Thai is willing to go into I doubt that a higher price point will prevent them from buying it to have face.