Share Your Down Current Experiences

skippybangkok

Thought it was an urban myth - not so.

Was at similans - i think at elephant head rock. - it was a big rock anyway. The water was frothing / bubbling like a soup all around, and in a rare fit of insight, decided not to take my camera with me. Boat boy had a concerned look on his face.

Jumped in on the up current side, and Yipppppeeeeeeee, we were being fast forwarded through a tunnel of rock..... was fun until i saw vortex which we were heading towards - the air bubbles were trapped going around in a circle ( like looking at a washing machine in a laundromat ). Thats when i decided its time to abort the dive.........

Managed to escape behind the lee side of the rock ( about 17 m i think ) which gave protection, but and i tried to crawl up ( litterally like a rock climber with my hands in the nooks) , but could not cause of the immense water pressure.

I know from diving that area, the ground is about 40m, so had no choice but to let go and go with the flow......... got pushed down to 42 meters( full BCD and kicking up) ( i knew once away from the rock - it would settle down ), but then just as the down current stopped, an up current took over pushing me up........... ascended to 16 meters in no time, frantically kicking down, and dumping air.

After the ups and downs stablised - shot up the safety sausage, and had a 10 min deco stop on the dive computer ( for a dive which was maybe only 10 mins old ).

I have heard Bali has some bad down currents, and no bottom........... . not sure how comfortable i would be diving in such places after playing rag doll.

Just thought i would post it, maybe others can share and be aware. Diving in extreme currents is not advisable inmy opinion. ( p.s. know some tech divers who could not get out of that 80m hold off sameh sarn - case 2)

Edited by skippybangkok

Yup down currents do exist no doubt.

Bali has some awesome diving but beware strong unpredictable currents near Nusa Pendina and Crystal bay.

Just like a rip current however they will generally let you go, just keep cool and try and move at right angles to the direction your being taken, don't try and fight a down current.

Last month I witnessed turtles flapping like crazy to get out......

I used to frown about reef hooks until I needed one :o

Still mola molas ,manta rays etc all Loooove the currents and the cold water.......

Maybe age is catching up - but i can do without that excitement :o

Heard rumours that even Sipadan has down currents, can just imagine that, swimming 15m from the wall, bottom at 600 meters - not alot of places to hook :D ( if true )

How deep are the Bali dives ? If i have a bottom not too deep, dont care , but not anything beyond i.e 35m

I have heard many stories of the rip back in Melbourne (the entrance to the bay) the av depth is 25m but the pit is around 110m at the drop off and 8 knots can be experienced in a good tide, the wall in some spots is not safe to dive because of this and people have been sucked down the same.

you can see the sand bars near the entrance and how its swirls even from a sat pic at the entrance which is only about 2km wide.

Also some live cam shots of the area can be viewed here, its some of the best diving in melbourne around here

i remember the first dive i did was point franklin when the tide was going out. i thought i was flying.

i also did many dives on the heads at slack tide and it was so beautiful. the only place i have seen nautilus.

sorry, a bit off topic.