Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

I would agree. The signs have been ominous for a long time. Labouring to narrow victories in many games they should have been winning in some comfort. I do not think Commons has the legs any more for a full game. But starting Boyata instead of Sviatchenko, was disastrous. It also used up one substitution and having to replace two of the midfield wasters meant the option to bring on Commons later was not available.

Certain now that there will be changes at the end of the season after we hopefully stagger over the line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearts 1 Celtic 3

Victory today at Tynecastle has sealed the title barring a mathematical miracle. An improved display from the Champions in comparison to the last 2 leaden footed outings. Celtic began well and should have been ahead in 11 minutes. Roberts shot was blocked by Alexander but McGregor netted the rebound from close in. He was given offside though replay showed he was clearly on. Celtic had only to wait another 6 minutes before they were ahead. Kazim Richards showed good control to bring a centre down which eluded the Hearts defence and rifled home from close in. A few minutes later Gordon had to save smartly from Walker's shot after a cutback. Griffiths wasted a good chance near half time when showing good anticipation he was able to race through but the advancing Alexander blocked his shot away for a corner. Hearts would have been relieved to be only 1 down at the break.

Hearts made 2 changes at the break and started in determined mood. Gordon made a terrific save from Djoum and Hearts took control. Celtic looked as if they had a couple of men less as everytime they cleared the ball it was being returned into the danger area. Dauda finally equalised for Hearts with a determined burst through the heart of the Celtic defence. Ambrose who otherwise was solid sold himself and was easily turned, Bitton was far too weak in the challenge and was left for dead. Duada fired through Sviatchenko legs leaving the unsighted Gordon helpless. Celtic began to wake up from their slumber and regain some control. They regained the lead in 66 minutes when Roberts availed of Soutar's lack of control to race through and shoot through Alexander's legs to score. From a Hearts point of view it was very careless play. With 5 minutes to go Griffiths sealed it when he charged down an attempted clearance from the unfortunate Soutar beat him at the edge of the area cut in and fired past Alexander.

Another title for the Bhoys but looking back there were far too many iffy displays during the campaign. On season's form it would take a miracle to qualify for next season's CL.

• 2 weeks later...

A 3-2 win over Aberdeen on Saturday copper fastened the title for another year. I thought they played far better without Scott Brown in the side. Roberts with 2 and Lustig had us cruising until Aberdeen rallied and had us hanging on at the end for a 3-2 win. Hardly a coincidence that Ambrose came on as a sub when it was 3-0.

• Like 1

The scorer of Celtic's first European goal Bobby Carroll dies at 77

5050534.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc3

CELTIC star Bobby Carroll has passed away at the age of 77.

The club announced the news today on their official website.

The club said: "Everyone at Celtic is saddened to hear of the death of former player, Bobby Carroll, who has passed away at the age of 77.

"Bobby, who played for Celtic between 1959 to 63, made 78 appearances, scoring 28 goals. His most famous goal, and one which assured his place in the Celtic history books, came on September 26, 1962 in the first round of the Fairs Cities Cup against Valencia.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14484969.The_scorer_of_Celtic_s_first_European_goal_Bobby_Carroll_dies_at_77/?

Agree, a good move for Celtic (get a talented young manager who needs to prove himself again to the doubters) and BR (ease his way back in with the biggest fish in the pond, chance to have a go on the European stage where not too much is expected and to showcase himself); win win.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the RD era closes & the BR adventure begins.

Many thanks Ronnie for bringing both titles but not good enough.

Always felt he was hamstrung by the John Collins presence, overall, team never progressed in 2 seasons.

Ronnie always conducted himself in a very professional & dignified manner, was not afraid to give youth a chance.

So best of luck Ronnie.

A bold statement of intent from the board in bringing in BR, has already instilled the feel good factor.

Just need a few marquee singings & let the good times begin.

Squad needs a bit of a clear out.

I guess we all have our opinions of who should go/who should stay.

I was surprised to hear BR compare Brown to Gerard-Stevei G had a lot more in his locker than Brown ever will-Goals, vision, lead by example.

I think we are alright at the back 7 keeper, the Dane & Croat have potential, could do with dynamitic back up for Lustig. Boyata & Mulgrew should provide adequate back up, hope Charlie gets a new contract.

Many options here, but overall, we are not in bad shape, just a question of how to get the best out of some good players.

I feel this is one area where BR will strengthen with HIS type of player. Joe Allen would be a major statement, BR has a lot of trust in this guy, someone who would implement his ideas on the pitch.

Upfront, is where the new Chris Sutton/John Hartson/Gary Hooper/Larson type player needs to be brought in.

Griffiths had a great season but had to work his socks off far too much.

Ryan Christie & Scott Allen deserve a chance, there may be a bit part role for Commons.

Blackett, Emilio, Ambrose, Wee James, The 3 Dundee Duds, Richards, Janko, Cole, Stokes should all be thanked for their efforts but its forward we are going, onward & upward.

Just my tuppence worth.

Great to have the buzz back, reminds me of the Martin O'Neil era again (still reckon only mistake he made was not signing a top drawer Keeper.)

Anyone know when the draw for League fixtures will take place?

Hail Hail

• Like 2

3 down, half a dozen to go...........
That's Stokes and Colin Kazim-Richards go free and it’s now confirmed Cole is gone also.
Thanks for effort but not good enough.
I reckon those 3 were on approx. close to 20K a week.
That should save about 50K a week on wages, enough for a quality link up striker, Graham or Fletcher???

Difficult start away to Hearts and home to Aberdeen in late August. With the game against Partick Thistle likely to be postponed for a glamour friendly the first Glasgow Derby will be at home to The Rangers on September 10. Not an Old Firm Derby, that is just level 5 propaganda.

The Rangers on September 10. Not an Old Firm Derby, that is just level 5 propaganda.

The more you say it. Doesn't make it true.

Frankly no-one has given a toss about the SPL without Rangers in it.

All a bit of a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

If the young man lives up to his reputation he will be a huge asset to the side. Potential defenders being named in dispatches Shane Duffy and Kolo Toure. I would have doubts about both. Duffy naive last Sunday for my national side against the French and Toure not exactly greased lightning, although in fairness he did reasonably well for Liverpool towards the end of the season

Opening League game at Tynecastle moved to Sunday August 7th for TV purposes.

I was just on the SFA website and there seems to be very few midweek fixtures and none in August . For why ?

I will be in Glasgow for the Celtic vs Thistle game on Saturday 13th August , probably start with a trip to the barras then a few pints then Paradise.

• Like 2