Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Benfica 2 Celtic 1

Celtic failed to get a point in Lisbon and now will hope they can clinch qualification at home to Spartak on matchday 6. We can have no complaints with the result. It was Celtic's poorest display in the CL by a long way. Benfica wednt ahead after 7 minutes through sloppy defending. Matthews lost the ball near the touch line Wilson failed to cut out the cross and John drilled it home as two Celtic players failed to deal with it. Celtic were constantly on the back foot but somehow survived further damage. Then out of the blue a Celtic equaliser. Terrific delivery from a Mulgrew corner and an unmarked Samaras headed the equaliser. For a short while after it was Celtic's best period but approaching half time Benfica were again putting Celtic under severe pressure. Celtic were fortunate to be on level terms at the interval.

Mulgrew who was feeling unwell was replaced by Kayal at the start of the 2nd half and Benfica continued the relentless attacks on the Celtic goal. Apart from isolated periods Celtic were unable to gain possession. Hooper was completley isolated up front. Matthews cleared off the line and Benfica had missed a few good chances before they regained the lead when a free kick was nodded back across goal and Garay volleyed it in. Celtic were under more pressure and Benfica hit the bar .

The hero of the Barcelona game Tony Watt came on and in a rare Celtic attack had a rather tame effort on goal. It looked a poor choice with Commons and Hooper in space. Ironically Celtic enjoyed a decent bit of possession in the final ten minutes. After Forster had made a great save Kayal volleyed over after a corner. Watt shot across goal and wise. But there was no way through for Celtic.

Despite dropping to 3rd Benfica must travel to the Nou Camp to face Barcelona on matchday 6 while we are home to Moscow. We still must be favourites for 2nd place but we will need a much better display than tonight and hope Barcelona do the business at the Nou Camp.

Celtic 0 Inverness 1:

Another home defeat in the SPL. Celtic cannot keep hiding forever with the excuse they are tired after CL action. The squad is big enough and maybe several players should be rested for a SPL game or two.

The consensus is that Celtic can stroll to the title when they put their minds to it but thus far they are dropping points like confetti. I must say I am not impressed though I will concede that we are not doomed yet.whistling.gif

Interesting news on CQN today:

Spartak Moscow today sacked manager Unai Emeri after a 1-5 home league defeat against eight placed Dinamo Moscow. Spartak are confirmed as bottom of Celtic’s Champions League group before they head to Celtic Park for the final game on 5 December.

Emeri has been increasingly unpopular since taking over earlier this year when his spell at Valencia ended, while rumours of dissent in the dressing room were never far away. I had hoped he would remain in place for the visit to Glasgow but there will be a new man in charge by then.

I saw that CB. It can be a double edged sword. Their morale can be shot to pieces or alternatively they can be hyped up to show the new guy what they can do. I expect a nervy evening.

I was watching Barcelona last night.winning 4-0 at Levante. They are now 11 points clear of Real Madrid who lost to Real Betis on Saturday night.

Dare I say we hope that they will be able to see off Benfica and make our task easier.

Hearts 0 Celtic 4

A deserved win for the Celts at Tynecastle but you would have to say a 4 goal margin was harsh on Hearts.

Early on Commons missed a decent chance and gave the ball away a few minutes later in a dangerous position but Mulgrew cut out the danger. Commons next contribution was far more positive. Put away on the left wing he delivered a superb ball to the far post and Lassad guided it beautifully inside the upright. Hearts were undaunted and were giving as good as they got before Celtic went 2 up in the 22nd minute. Lassad delivered a dangerous ball across the area Hearts miscontrolled and Lustig who had followed up in the attack shot home past the unfortunate McDonald who was not able to get a strong enough hand on it.

It was worring the number of free kicks Celtic were conceding in dangerous areas . They had already missed a good chance when Celtics back 4 went to sleep. A further free kick produced a thunderbolt from Stevenson which Forster got a block to and he recovered superbly to block the follow up effort before Celtic cleared. After half an hour Celtic were 3-0 up and cruising . Mulgrew saved a ball that was going out over the end line cut it back and Stevenson trying to clear deflected it in for an og. Both Ambrose and Wanyama were booked before HT as Celtic continued to give away free kicks.

Celtic had more reason to thank Forster early in the 2nd half from another free kick. Kayakm at the edge of the wall jumped over the ball and although he saw it late the big man got down to make another excellent save. The 2nd half was less eventful. Celtic brought on Matthews for Lustig, Brown for Ledley and finally Samaras for Lassad. With 8 minutes to go Celtic made it 4-0 when after Commons had been denied Mulgrew crossed superbly and Hooper finished smartly. Hearts got a penalty with a few minutes to go when Ambrose like a bull in a china shop flattened a Hearts forward. but Forster denied them again.

So a convincing win but Hearts will wonder how they lost by 4 goals. Enjoy your porridge CB.rolleyes.gif

Nice result. The porridge will taste better today, Salty old son!

Just had a look at December's fixtures and it's not an easy month.

Let's hope Lennon puts his resignation bullshit behind him and keeps

the team playing on a par with how they obviously did last night.

We play our game in hand with Dundee United in December and would like

to see us pull away and not look back after that.

Wishful thinking Salty? I'll keep the optimism alive!

Seems to have been a well deserved draw. Celtic goal seems to have been a fluke. I worry about Wednesday night.

I expect Barcelona to win (5-1 win tonight V Athletico Bilbao) but Jekell and Hyde Celtic are more than capable of cocking it up.

Seems to have been a well deserved draw. Celtic goal seems to have been a fluke. I worry about Wednesday night.

I expect Barcelona to win (5-1 win tonight V Athletico Bilbao) but Jekell and Hyde Celtic are more than capable of cocking it up.

You rested just about everyone I think. Best of luck for the game in midweek!

Arbroath. Apart from my Gran's caravan at Seton Sands

I didn't think there was anything else there!

You forgot the model railway! rolleyes.gif

Anyway you lot will enjoy the uncovered away end, hopefully the tide will be high and raining too....we love to see 'em packed in like sardines getting a good soaking! biggrin.png

From a piece in today's Scottish Herald:

Barcelona have already won Group G and are favourites to take three more points, but it was a worry for Celtic that the squad they announced yesterday did not contain Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Pedro, Jordi Alba, Cesc Fabregas or Javier Mascherano.

I expect to be living on my nerves tonight and doing a lot of channel hoping.

Celtic 2 Spartak Moscow 1

As I expected a night of tension with Celtic making it through with a win coupled with a 0-0 at the Nou Camp. Before any play I was horrified to learn that Messi was on the bench for Barcelona and a few quick glimpses early on confirmed my worst fears. The home team were wearing Barcelona jerseys but the atmosphere was muted to say the least.

Celtic were anything but assured early on. The big strong fast striker Emenike was turning both Wilson and Ambrose at will and was a constant menace. Celtic had created very little but took the lead in 21 minutes. A long hopeful ball out of the Celtic half by Samaras seemed about to be easily cut off by the Spartak centre back but he miscontrolled into the path of Hooper who ran on to it and finished superbly for the lead. Commons was narrowly wide but Spartak continued to be menacing. 6 minutes before half time they broke quickly Emenike brushed off Kayal turned Ambrose and played in Ari who was unmarked. He looked to be at too tight an angle but he lobbed superbly past Forster who went down too early I thought. Wilson was too slow to get back and his attempted clearance only helped the ball in. On one of the replays Izaguirre who was well up the field was far too slow to get back and as a result Ari was unmarked. 1-1 at halt time and not much inspiration at the Nou Camp.

Celtic picked it up for the 2nd half and became more forceful. At this stage I have to admit I was watching the Barca game as much as the Celtic game. Just before the hour Messi took off his tracksuit and came on. But with his able lieutenants not playing even he was struggling to create anything. Meanwhile back at the ranch Celtic were doing most of the pressing. The dangerous Emenike was mercifully not seeing much of the ball. Spartak goaie made a great save from Mulgrew in the 79th minute. In the 82nd minute Samaras went down in the area and the ref gave Celtic a penalty. I have to say I have seen far worse not penalised . I think the defender gave a slight push and Sammy made the most of it. Commons scored from the spot kick off the underside of the bar. Celtic back in the driving seat. At this stage i was channel hopping feverishly. With about 5 minutes to go Messi went down with a bad injury and was carried off on a stretcher. Barca had used 3 subs so they were down to 10 men. I figured when the game at Parkhead was over we would have to endure several extra minutes of torture. Then Commons was fouled by Kallstrom and a length stoppage at Parkhead. Kallstrom was sent off for a 2nd yellow. Most of my attention was now on the Nou Camp. The sub goalie almost gave me heart failure when he decided to dummy a forward before clearing. Barca far from secure held out against a poor Benfica given the circumstances. At Parkhead Celtic were doing most of their defending in the Spartak half which was reassuring but a long ball forward forced Ambrose to kick hurriedly to touch due to the laboured advance of Forster. Full time almost immeadiately and huge relief.

It is amazing to thing last years winners and premier league winners have gone out and the SPL winners are through. What odds on that before match day 1?

• Like 2

Well done Celtic,,, I thought Sammi had an excellent game again from what I could see in between the buffering stops on the computer,,, like many I was watching 2 screens at the same time, as the Barca game was on local TV here, a few moments of near heart failure too, but we're used to that,,,

Great stuff

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

A 3-1 win for the Celts at Kilmarnock today.

Well in control in the first half they were not creating much until the 27th minute when Hooper coming deep gave an excellent return pass to Adam Matthews. He surged forward towards the back line, and cut the ball back to Scott Brown who fired past the keeper, who was unable to save. Sheridan who had scored the winner at Parkhead had a good effort out of nothing which was just too high. It was a warning shot for Celtic who led by 1-0 at the break.

Killie were almost level within 2 minutes but Charlie Mulgrew got a great block on a close range shot. Though Celtic remained in control Killie looked dangerous on a few occassions so it was with relief that Celtic went 2-0 in the 65th minute. Wanyama passed out wide to Brown who played a dangerous ball low across the area. Joe Ledley arriving at the back post in front of his marker turned it in. Samaras replaced Lassad at this point and he clinched it for Celtic in the 74th minute. Brown put Matthews away down the right, he centred into the danger area for Sammy steaming in to head the 3rd off the underside of the bar. The bar has been kind to us this week. Sheridan scored a consolation for Killie in the 90th minute.

A good display today from the Celts and one would hope that with no European Football till February they will be more consistent for domestic fare.

Next stop Gayfield for the cup replay against Arbroath. Are you watching Smokie?whistling.gif