Buying A Used Car

Neeranam

I am going to buy a used car this week. I am going to make the rounds of the second-hand dealers today. One question someone may be able to answer - is the price quoted on top of the car negotiable? Obviously it will be, but how much?

Do you think I should get a Thai to barter rather than myself, a Farang? I would not let my wife do it, as experience shows I can barter better than her.

Is it best to go to a dealer, or buy one privately?

I was offered a 10 year old mazda for 60,000 baht, looks good for it's age.

Is this a reasonable price?

Cheers

Neeranam

I am going to be looking for a used car also way out in NORTHWEST THAILAND. TAK AREA. My girlfriend says Thai used cars are shit, bu there must be a good one somewhere. Maybe she just wants me to buy a new one--. I suppose kelly blue book used in The USA for prices of used cars in Thailand, would not be a good source , but maybe it is. Check out Kelly blue book on the web.

Prices are always negotiable, even on new cars!!

Take a Thai friend and get him/her to negotiate.

Check very carefully what you are buying.

Lod Bahn, a home sale, is often a better bargain.

Look out for vehicles parked with a for sale sign!

Ask to see the log book to check the age and number of previous owners.

The prices for used cars in Thailand are just crazy, you will often see twenty year old car with a for sale sign in the window 70,000 baht !!!!!!!!! it would sell for at most 200 UKP.. 14,000 baht in the UK.

Also the roads are very harsh on suspension components and crash damaged repairs using two or more pieces of different cars (cut and shut) seem common

however they normaly come with a nice new coat of paint :o

Be very carefull buying a used car in Thailand,take a Thai mechanic with you if you can. Get a Thai to do the haggling.

a 10 year old mazda for 60,000 baht

Sounds like a good deal (in the crazy over inflated Thai used car market )

Not sure about other areas of Thailand, but bought a second hand car in BKK a few weeks ago. The first thing i would check would be the body, look for signs of a dodgy paint job and primer , not many cars survive ten years without a few dings or worse. Every second Thai guy i know is pretty handy under the bonnet of a car, so take one along with u .

Oh well, i bought a Holden Belmont a few weeks ago , the body was straight but the engine was not running so good was quoted 40,000 baht , but with the help of Thai family negoating got it down to 30,000. It didn't really matter as i was looking for a project car that myself and brother /father-in law could work on with a few beers on weekends :o Fixed the body up and sprayed in Barbados green which cost alot less than it would be in Aussie. Now comes the hard part , the engine, diff ect ect which really hits the hip pocket .