What Went Wrong With Honda New 110cc Bikes Introduction

The latest motorcycle from Honda, being the CZ-i110 gets a cold market welcome. In the gossip corners of the market and AP-Honda people start to wonder what went wrong.

So what went wrong? Did they try to push to much 110cc's in the market without clear market benefits. Did people expected a bit more from Honda then a 110cc....

The new Honda Click-i seems to pickup, but to some of the bigger Honda dealers is this just because of the Click branding... the new Click-i is easy to sale as it is the latest model in the Click line....

The latest motorcycle from Honda, being the CZ-i110 gets a cold market welcome. In the gossip corners of the market and AP-Honda people start to wonder what went wrong.

So what went wrong? Did they try to push to much 110cc's in the market without clear market benefits. Did people expected a bit more from Honda then a 110cc....

The new Honda Click-i seems to pickup, but to some of the bigger Honda dealers is this just because of the Click branding... the new Click-i is easy to sale as it is the latest model in the Click line....

From what I've read (57 km/litre) Iwas impressed, but I hav not noticed any CZi's at dealers around Pattaya.

I read somewhere that they were going to be offered for 36,700 baht during promotion; then up slightly to 38,400. Sounds like a lot of bike for the money :o

The Honda Click-i seems OK, it's trendy looking. Having fuel injection on an older engine isn't a negative as 99% of their potential customers don't care! As long as the mileage claims stack up that is.

It's hard to work out why....but if the dealers don't have em in stock they can't sell em!

I saw two of the new bikes in the local showroom, they have only been out for a couple of days.

My first impression was that they are not as solidly build as the original Wave, the plastic farings are more flimsy, the disk brake has only one cylinder, there is not as much room in the storage space under the saddle, the exhaust is a lot smaller than the original Wave.

I think they have pared down the material to a minimum to keep the price down. The big selling point is the fuel injection with, they reckon, 57 kms/litre consumption.

For a few thousand Baht more you can buy the 125i version, which has the more solid older styling.

I saw two of the new bikes in the local showroom, they have only been out for a couple of days.

My first impression was that they are not as solidly build as the original Wave, the plastic farings are more flimsy, the disk brake has only one cylinder, there is not as much room in the storage space under the saddle, the exhaust is a lot smaller than the original Wave.

I think they have pared down the material to a minimum to keep the price down. The big selling point is the fuel injection with, they reckon, 57 kms/litre consumption.

For a few thousand Baht more you can buy the 125i version, which has the more solid older styling.

Hmmm... Good points. I've yet to see one in person, But, if they cheapen it up (save weight too) I guess they can sell it cheaper.

CZi review:

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/2_...110_and_Click-i

Edited by Lancelot

They have a new CZ at the new Mityon dealer on Theppasit and Soi Korpai. It's on a stand, so hard to compare size with other Waves, but saleswoman said it's a "little" smaller. PLUSSES: 57 km/l (if that's accurate) and use of E-20 fuel which is cheaper. MINUSES: No electric start available. I get about 50 km/l on my 125i, 4 years old. A new one might get even better. They wanted 37,000 for the CZ and 49,000 for the 125i.

They have a new CZ at the new Mityon dealer on Theppasit and Soi Korpai. It's on a stand, so hard to compare size with other Waves, but saleswoman said it's a "little" smaller. PLUSSES: 57 km/l (if that's accurate) and use of E-20 fuel which is cheaper. MINUSES: No electric start available. I get about 50 km/l on my 125i, 4 years old. A new one might get even better. They wanted 37,000 for the CZ and 49,000 for the 125i.

OK, the 37,000 checks out with the article I read. They quoted Honda that the CZi would be introduced for 36,700; then increase to 38,400 afterwards. Seems like a pretty decent price, but I hear you about the kick start.

I'm wondering if I could buy one for 37k, ride it for 2 years, then sell it or 20k. Sure beats renting a bike :o

Yes, you're right about the paring down. I saw my first real CZi 110 at the Honda Dealership on the corner of Pattaya 3RD Road and Soi Linkee. Even cheapened up as they are, I'm still interested.

Funny side note, the sales staff working there must be on salary, because they have no interest in selling. Their attitude (body language) was "get out, your making me work, LOL! :o

the sales staff working there must be on salary, because they have no interest in selling. Their attitude (body language) was "get out, your making me work, LOL! :o

if you drop by any honda dealer shop with the name "piya " on it and the sales staff gives you an attitude, let me know and i screw some sense into them.. hahaha...

piya happens to be my family clan.

yes most of the sales staff in honda dealer shop is on salary with no commission.

the sales staff working there must be on salary, because they have no interest in selling. Their attitude (body language) was "get out, your making me work, LOL! :o

if you drop by any honda dealer shop with the name "piya " on it and the sales staff gives you an attitude, let me know and i screw some sense into them.. hahaha...

yes most of the sales staff in honda dealer shop is on salary with no commission.

Thanks. I was a bit taken back by their behavior and I was trying to figure out what I did wrong:

1 The Honda dealership at the corner of Soi Linkee and 3Rd Road-Walked in and smiled at a lady sales staff. She sneered and turned her back. I spent a long time looking at a new Honda CZi 110, but was totally ignored. A thai guy sitting in a sales office glanced at me, then resumed his news paper reading, lol.

2 The Honda (and Yahmaha?) dealership on 3 Rd Road, near Tony's Gym-Said hello to a Thai gentleman that was sitting on a bike. He ignored me. I paused, smiled, then asked in thai if they had the new Honda CZi 110. "No hab" then he turned away...

3 The Honda dealership somewhat near Excite Disco-I paused outside to look at the Honda Waves. A smiling thai salesman, Khun Nop, comes outside, greets me and asked if he can help me. I asked him about the new CZi 100 and he smiles, saying sure come inside.

Long story short, Khun Nop will probably get my business :D

(I did notice at the dealerships where I was ignored that a couple of farangs walked in with thai ladies. The sales staff cheerfully interacted with the thai, but ignored the farang. Maybe they don't speak english??

Edited by Lancelot

(I did notice at the dealerships where I was ignored that a couple of farangs walked in with thai ladies. The sales staff cheerfully interacted with the thai, but ignored the farang. Maybe they don't speak english??

Poor excuse considering there is nowhere in the world where the people can't use sign language!

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have old wave and cz-i110

The old wave is solid you guys are right but its misdesigned. When im driving at the road in surinprovince when its windy i dont dare to ride close to the side when car comes. AS if i do the wind will take me to the ditch as the cover around the wave doesnt let the air thrue. Whereas czi dont have this problem.

Im also quite tall 188cm and i feel more comfortable and straight in my back with the new czi.

The only reason i can guess thaipople prefer old one is they can put a basket on the front for shopping. And if they use the bike for working etc they want solid bike and not flimsy plastic parts that would break easily.

I rode an old click but i had to slow down to 40kmh in curvs as i didnt feel safe or stable( maybe it was problem with that bike only, as i didnt test any more bikes) . With the wave and czi you could easily go in 70kmh and just lay the bike in the curve which wasnt possible with the honda click this was however the first click model which did not have fm1 fuel injection.

What i would like to see in the wave and czi is magnesiumwheels that would be more nice.

But for riding the new bike was more responsive on gas and more stable when windy.

What do you think about click vs wave and/or czi?

Edited by erpan

the sales staff working there must be on salary, because they have no interest in selling. Their attitude (body language) was "get out, your making me work, LOL! :)

Thanks. I was a bit taken back by their behavior and I was trying to figure out what I did wrong:

1 The Honda dealership at the corner of Soi Linkee and 3Rd Road-Walked in and smiled at a lady sales staff. She sneered and turned her back. I spent a long time looking at a new Honda CZi 110, but was totally ignored. A thai guy sitting in a sales office glanced at me, then resumed his news paper reading, lol.

2 The Honda (and Yahmaha?) dealership on 3 Rd Road, near Tony's Gym-Said hello to a Thai gentleman that was sitting on a bike. He ignored me. I paused, smiled, then asked in thai if they had the new Honda CZi 110. "No hab" then he turned away...

3 The Honda dealership somewhat near Excite Disco-I paused outside to look at the Honda Waves. A smiling thai salesman, Khun Nop, comes outside, greets me and asked if he can help me. I asked him about the new CZi 100 and he smiles, saying sure come inside.

Long story short, Khun Nop will probably get my business :D

You will find this in many aspects doing business in Thailand. If they can't speak English they ignore you or are what we call rude. It happens everywhere, markets, honda shops, telephone shops. "I don't speak English(even tho is't required in my school system and any m.6 graduate will have studied for 12 years or more), so I am not even going to try".

Wow - this was first posted in 2008, who revived this old thread??

I am just renting a Click-i 2009 "tune-up", have to add that it's the best auto I've ridden in Thailand. The "tune-up" seems to provide that little tiny bit of extra punch accelerating. It takes a while to get to 90kmh but it then feels very safe and stable at that speed, unlike my Wave.

Fuel economy isn't that great for me but I think that's because I am enjoying the acceleration far too much.

I might rent a PCX next to see what it's like, if I find a shop that will rent it for a reasonable price.

Did you try to go fast and take a big curve by just laying it down? And if so was it easy or did you have to slow down.. I agree the wave doesnt feel as stable as click when going forward but in curves i did not like the click i tried as it was not turning very good. It could be something wrong with the click i tried i dont know.

Also the 2 frontbrakes in click is better , in the wave you need to footbreak and handbrake if there is holes in the ground (countryside) so its very easy to miss the footbreak as you are tall and dont have the foot at the pedal all the time and then you hit the holes. With the click you just use 2 front breakes, very easy, also the wheels are magnesium so they can stand more pressure than normal old wheels.

Wow - this was first posted in 2008, who revived this old thread??

I am just renting a Click-i 2009 "tune-up", have to add that it's the best auto I've ridden in Thailand. The "tune-up" seems to provide that little tiny bit of extra punch accelerating. It takes a while to get to 90kmh but it then feels very safe and stable at that speed, unlike my Wave.

Fuel economy isn't that great for me but I think that's because I am enjoying the acceleration far too much.

I might rent a PCX next to see what it's like, if I find a shop that will rent it for a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...
Anyone have a good reason not to buy Honda Wave 110 FI AT?

Looks solid to me.

My considerable weight? :)

Actually the wife bought one not long ago....it's ok for an underbone automatic scooter. Doesn't do anything for me, but it's been dependable for her and Wave's are pretty much indestructible.

Mahtin,

The Wave AT is peculiar in one regard - maybe a good one. Unlike most automatics, it has a chain as well. That's because it has an automatic transmission that is closely coupled to the engine in such a way as to be cooled, lowering, Honda says, heat and friction.

I haven't been able to find if the bother of cleaning and oiling a chain (it's enclosed, however) is paid for in better mileage, compared, for example, to a Click-i. Seems possible to me. Honda pamphlets make quite a big deal about the system. Of course, in a Wave, one cannot purchase mag wheels and tubeless tires, or the combi-brake, which cost more still in the Click series.

Edited by CMX

My considerable weight? :)

Thanks, Dave.

Weight was the factor that ruled out the single rear suspension on the Click etc.

Finally located 2 AT bikes at a shop not too close to where I live, only to be quoted 46,000.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/in...ycle_Price_List says Price 44,900 Baht

Farang price?

I think that's an older price list; perhaps Honda has slightly raised the prices? I'm very **cough** frugal, but that's only a 2.4% increase....

I think that's an older price list; perhaps Honda has slightly raised the prices? I'm very **cough** frugal, but that's only a 2.4% increase....

February 18, 2010 - Honda will begin sales in Thailand of a new Cub-type automatic transmission (AT) scooter model, Wave 110i AT, in March of this year through A. P. Honda Co., Ltd., a Honda affiliate responsible for distribution of Honda motorcycle products in Thailand. Based on the Wave 110i, which is highly acclaimed for its fuel efficiency, the Wave 110i AT features a new automatic transmission called the CV-Matic. The starting price will be approximately 44,900 baht, with an annual sales plan of 50,000 units.

After only 2 months?

Of course the wife wanted red, the one out of 3 they didn't have, so back to the local shop to see if they could order, and they had just had a delivery :)

The dealer´s book said 44,500.

1,500 for paperwork and a one size fits all Thais helmet and jacket in Honda carrier bag.

Oh, and they delivered at no extra charge for the accompanying motocy taxi.

Now what about the number plate?

• 3 weeks later...

No red plate, but the red shirts delayed the numberplate delivery, which was included in the price, as was the tax disk and green book etc.

Wife did ask, but local BIB not interested in red plates, no money in it for them I suppose.

Sorry for the late answer :)

• 4 months later...