Pressure Cookers

Dustoff

I got mine in Mae Sai years ago, but later saw the same same in that Chineese little shop in the parking area of Carrefour near Armon electronics. Not sure if they still have them, but used to have. Make sure you get extra gaskets!!

Another place that may have them is that kitchen/restaurant supply house on the old CM-Lamphon road about 500 mt from Mihidol road towards Lamphon.

Thanks for the above and while I would prefer recent sightings, I will check out these places when I can.

I actually lugged one over here in my bag from the US, only to discover that the store had shafted me with a used one that had been so overheated that the gasket is useless. I have been working for months to get a gasket from the supplier in the States but have had no luck so far and even if I do, the cost of shipping will almost equal the original price of the cooker.

This one is made in China so who knows, maybe I can find gaskets that will fit it in a shop that carries the cookers themselves.

I DO enjoy the flavor of vegies done in a pressure cooker!

The store GAVE ME an electric pressure cooker when I bought a slew of major appliances. This was at Power Buy / Central at Lad Phrao in Bangkok.

Don't know about Chiang Mai

But I do wonder what to do with the thing? I've never used one and it didn't come with instructions, at least any that I can read.

I remember my mother doing something with the cheaper cuts of meats in one many years ago, something she called swiss steak I believe.

I'm not much of a meat eater, but would be interested in any suggestions about cooking vegetables or chicken.

Hmm, I have never heard of an electric pressure cooker but I am surely behind the times.

Just to be sure we are all talking about the same thing, the pot has heavy metal tabs at the top and the cover sets into place and is then turned about 20 degrees to tightly lock it. On the top is a single outlet post upon which sits a small weight which wobbles, hisses and spits when the cooker comes up to pressure. Larger ones are frequently used in canning foods in glass jars.

Cooking is amazingly fast once pressure is acheived and since the cooking is so fast, natural flavors and juices do not leach out into the water. I suspend vegies/fruits above the water to further preserve flavor. Things like corn on the cob are fantastic and take 60-seconds once the weight starts rocking.

Learning how to use one is highly advisable before using. Too much heat after the pressure comes up will blow the rubber safety plug and people have been burned by the blast of steam. If you let it run out of the minimal water in the bottom, the cooker will overheat which will roast the gasket and can even warp the lid, rendering it useless.

Edited by Dustoff

Thanks Dustoff. Yes it is a real pressure cooker. It is a rather large one, Mamaru brand (Japanese I think) and electric. Has the gasket and dancing weight thing on the top. I will experiment with some veggies, especially corn (which I usually microwave).

Thanks Dustoff. Yes it is a real pressure cooker. It is a rather large one, Mamaru brand (Japanese I think) and electric. Has the gasket and dancing weight thing on the top. I will experiment with some veggies, especially corn (which I usually microwave).

Thanks. This should help you get off to a good start:

http://missvickie.com/howto/howtoframe.html

Be sure to check out the time charts.

Edited by Dustoff