plus the crawl space is very hard to reach or get to

its between the roof and the ceiling

any good ideas???

not keen at all on killing them

just want to keep them away

may they find a happy home somewhere else

thanks

Yeah, same as above.

We've used cement, bricked up some spaces, and used fishing line in places where we couldn't use the first two methods. You have to play around with the latter method as sometimes these will instead double as bird traps instead of bird deterents, and either you or someone else will have to climb up to cut down a bird that has looks like it chose to commit suicide by hanging on your window ledge, under your UBC dish, etc.

:o

An effective, non-lethal method...

Eagle decoy...

eagler.jpg

No idea where to get one here, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to have one made. Lots of different kinds. Another type is plastic and "flies" at the end of a short cord when the wind blows. The method is effective against any bird that's not at the pinnacle of the food chain.... to the point where they'll abandon their nests and never return to the area.

Edited by sriracha john

Eagle decoy...

eagler.jpg

No idea where to get one here, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to have one made. Lots of different kinds. Another type is plastic and "flies" at the end of a short cord when the wind blows. The method is effective against any bird that's not at the pinnacle of the food chain.... to the point where they'll abandon their nests and never return to the area.

I don't believe bald eagles are part of the local ecosystem, so this may not be effective. Not sure if there are any large preditory birds in Thailand... I will let those with more knowledge of the local animal life answer that question.

I don't believe bald eagles are part of the local ecosystem

Certainly not :D But there are a few large predators but I am not sure that a dummy raptor would deter birds for long, in particular if they are e.g. Mynas; they are pretty smart birds.

A vulture nesting in the crawl space and sniffing around would not be a good omen.

No kidding!!!!! :o

Some birds actually have a very acute sense of smell, such as New World Vultures and Tubenoses.

A vulture nesting in the crawl space and sniffing around would not be a good omen. :o

Agreed. And to this little list you can add the birds flocking around Loi Kroh Road, Chiang Mai.

I had some baht once upon a time and their sense of smell was INCREDIBLE. One was indeed a vulture, sniffing around, wanting to share MY nesting space.

Show them an empty wallet, a ploy which eventually worked perfectly for me.

Eagle decoy...

eagler.jpg

The stationary decoy like eagles, hawks and owls have no effect on birds like pigeons. We've tried them on the roof and the pigeons still sit around them or on them and continue making a mess all over. The ones that soar in the wind might work though, but I suspect some birds eventually get the idea that it's no threat.

Edited by AmeriThai

I have a problem with pigeons. I was planning on getting a small BB gun and shooting them. It shouldn't kill them but at least frighten them away, and if I do it enough times surely they will give up, plus it makes a game of it for me. :o

Good luck Rich. I hope it works out for you. One solution is to goo up their perching spots, if it's possible. Kinda messy. Another idea is to set out lath strips with nails close together pointed upright to discourage perching on the roof. That's probably not good to do on the ground though.

For the OP, as mentioned, screening up the access points where they get in to nest should keep them out.

The bb gun thing doesn't work. Mostly because pigeons have an extremely short term memory. So if you don't actually kill them all (in your area), they'll keep on coming. First tried daily sprayings with the water hose, then did the daily tennis ball target practice, then plastic pellet bb gun, then copper bb Daisy 'rifle.'

(before you try the latter, make sure you're a really good shot)

Fishing line wood/mesh/concrete barricades worked in the end.

:o