How Can Smart People Be Superstitious?

lifeisrandom

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not only Roman Catholics who believe in transubstantiation. Anglicans, for example, still officially believe in it.

I agree with what you write that Science can almost become its own religion, but science (lower case) is still a reasonable methodology to view the world. Science is not infallible, but pretty much any reasonalbe person will be able to use the basic laws of science to refute many superstitions. However, some people, using science as their bible, might refute things which merely have not been proven yet (nor disproven), For example many local medical practices of various indigenous peoples of the world have not been "proven" by accepted medical testing procedures, but that does not mean they do not work. However, I think it is fairly obvious that if a dog scares a pregnant woman, that does not mean the baby will end up looking like a dog.

Science is a good way to predict and observe the physical universe. The laws of nature are consistent and because of the this we can adapt and reach great heights of knowledge. However it is ridiculous for science to have anything to say about the non physical universe. Just as ridiculous as using a star chart to predict the minimum critcal mass for nuclear fusion.

Yes, you are right in that.

The post about throwing the baby tooth on the roof so the chickens don't eat it (keeping the child from growing a new tooth) is an example of something so far off from science that it can be easily discounted.

As opposed to leaving the tooth under the pillow and the 'tooth fairy' will take it while you're asleep and leave you money?

And if you pray and don't sin you'll go to heaven? (What does science tell us here professor?)

Perhaps much has to do with what your family beliefs are and how you were raised?

I guess you wanted me to list every single superstition here? Although the Tooth Fairy is hardly a supersition but a fairy tale. No normal adult beleives that Santa Claus flys his sleigh on Christmas Eve, that the Easter Bunny leaves eggs, or that the Tooth Fairy leaves money for teeth. These are culturally-based tales we tell children. Why we do this is a rather intersting debate amongst philosophy-bent people. Regardless, fairy tales, which are told by almost all cultures, are not superstitions because adults don't believe in them.

And science doesn't prove or disprove anything about heaven. Canuckamuck posted quite succinctly on that.

(And yes, I was a professor for 6 years, teaching MBA and doctoral candidates until I decided to make money instead of teaching others how to make it!)

Example:

My GF...

- cannot cut the roses when she has her period.

- cannot have her hair cut on the same week day she is born

- cannot serve me duck without me giving her some money first (any amount)

- if I pad her on the head she will counter pad her cheek (sp?) to even out the padding or something.

There are many more of these little things. I can accept all this as long as its not controlling your life.

:o At least you have a point there somewhere... don't know if it isn't arrogant to claim that scientists are arrogant because they "close the door to discussion" or "Science is too small a measuring stick to evaluate the extra natural"!

What is extra natural?

4 Billion ( 4.000.000.000) years is quite some time for something complex to evolve and form something, like "life" did, on Planet earth?

(not to mention the universe, of which we simply do yet ,not know much of it)

Ok I admit you asked a couple of things before your ramble that beg an answer.

-Yes it is arrogant to close the door on a discussion about things that may have profound relevance.

-Extranatural things cannot be assessed through scientific method so yes it is too small a measuring stick

-Extranatural is a better term than supernatural because it implies something outside the natural realm rather than more of the same. Think of the words extracurricular, extramarital, and extraordinary and switch the extra for super and you will see how it ruins the meaning.

-4 billion years, or in the case of the universe 18 billion years, in your mind is an appropriate amount of time for matter to appear from nothing? Or is it a sufficient amount of time for a bunch of chemicals to create amino acids in non laboratory conditions and then organize themselves into the complex chains necessary to create even rudimentary proteins; and at the same time the other essential complimentary proteins would have formed and cleverly converged in sufficient quantity and then not only spark to life by themselves, but already contain the genetic capacity to reproduce?

Edited by canuckamuck

My point there was that perception is not reality. Everyone faces a different set of circumstances, limitations and advantages. But that does not make their reality unique, Some one elses problems are just as real in my world, even if I don't even percieve them. Otherwise a crazy man would be justified in whatever action he took because he belongs to a different reality.

I do like what you said about us being made up from the same elements as the stars, I would go further to say we are held together by the same power that gives atoms mass, A power that can make it all go away just as quickly as it came.

Nonsense! If you don't have the ability to perceive anything, it's because you either not exist or are dead, which in either case it really wouldn't matter if there's a reality or not. The reality of individuals are as unique as the individuals themselves BECAUSE their individual circumstances, etc. To get around that (which can't be done) people would have to occupy the exact same space at the exact same time as everyone and everything else. That uniqueness is based on variations of certain details, not necessarily in general matters. A crazy man would not necessarily be justified no matter what his view of reality is if his actions violate social standards. Mutual agreement or acceptance among a majority of people are what incorporate those standards within a society even if the concept was originally proposed by only one individual.

Some one elses problems are just as real in my world, even if I don't even percieve them. Eh? How's that again? Think about it. Does that actually make any sense? How would you know someone else's problems are real or not in YOUR world, if you DIDN'T first perceive it by whatever means?

You said earlier that reality doesn't shift. Actually, that's not true. I can assure you that Bangkok and much of Thailand has undergone changes compared to what I remember it 20 or so years ago. One example: there was no skytrain. Now there is. How things are today are not the same as how they were long ago. How things once were in the past was a reality at that time. It's not the same now because of change. Everything is in a constant state of change, including your perception of reality.

Example:

My GF...

- cannot cut the roses when she has her period.

- cannot have her hair cut on the same week day she is born

- cannot serve me duck without me giving her some money first (any amount)

- if I pad her on the head she will counter pad her cheek (sp?) to even out the padding or something.

There are many more of these little things. I can accept all this as long as its not controlling your life.

I agree. If people want to be superstitious, that's fine, as long as it doesn't endanger or interfere with my own ability to survive.

My point there was that perception is not reality. Everyone faces a different set of circumstances, limitations and advantages. But that does not make their reality unique, Some one elses problems are just as real in my world, even if I don't even percieve them. Otherwise a crazy man would be justified in whatever action he took because he belongs to a different reality.

I do like what you said about us being made up from the same elements as the stars, I would go further to say we are held together by the same power that gives atoms mass, A power that can make it all go away just as quickly as it came.

Nonsense! If you don't have the ability to perceive anything, it's because you either not exist or are dead, which in either case it really wouldn't matter if there's a reality or not. The reality of individuals are as unique as the individuals themselves BECAUSE their individual circumstances, etc. To get around that (which can't be done) people would have to occupy the exact same space at the exact same time as everyone and everything else. That uniqueness is based on variations of certain details, not necessarily in general matters. A crazy man would not necessarily be justified no matter what his view of reality is if his actions violate social standards. Mutual agreement or acceptance among a majority of people are what incorporate those standards within a society even if the concept was originally proposed by only one individual.

Some one elses problems are just as real in my world, even if I don't even percieve them. Eh? How's that again? Think about it. Does that actually make any sense? How would you know someone else's problems are real or not in YOUR world, if you DIDN'T first perceive it by whatever means?

You said earlier that reality doesn't shift. Actually, that's not true. I can assure you that Bangkok and much of Thailand has undergone changes compared to what I remember it 20 or so years ago. One example: there was no skytrain. Now there is. How things are today are not the same as how they were long ago. How things once were in the past was a reality at that time. It's not the same now because of change. Everything is in a constant state of change, including your perception of reality.

Social standards confirm a concept of shared reality.

If I shot your dog when you weren't home, your dog would still be dead and I would be guilty of a breaking a law I have never read. Time marches on and things come and go. The skytrain was real for me the same time it was for you even though I knew nothing about it. It adhered to all the same natural laws for everyone who rode on it. It is a real thing and it cannot be disproven.

Edited by canuckamuck

Actually its moronic to use such a word.

Whether you believe or not there are many wise intelligent people involved in religion.

and thankfully many not. And what does that show?

hitler was very wise too-also totally wrong, and he, like all those well meaning bible bashers caused alot of trouble.

Not as much as religion has done mind you

Having two relatively famous fortune tellers / Fung Shui masters in my close family, I can't say it works, but what's sure, it's profitable !!!

I can sit any member of thai-forum down in front of me who I,ve never met, and know nothing about, and tell them all about themselves, and be 100% accurate.

I can tell them the name of a past girlfriend, how much is in their wallet, predit any number they choose..etc... etc

I can make a pen move any direction from a distance- a person forget a number they,ve just seen( 80%), sometimes their own name.

bend spoons and forks. Make a ghost appear on someones mobile.

Touch someone and make them unable to move.

Or put an electric shock through them with my fingers to show spritual powers. I can cut myself and have it instantly heal.

Or have any number appear as blood mark on my arm- or ass if I choose.

I can make rain appear from the sky anytime. I can levitate off the ground. I can hold up an empty hand and rain down ashes ( something I,ve seen sai- baba do- we use the same method) to the ground

I,ll do it much better than any old fortune teller, fung-shui person.

Am I God?

When I was young I used this stuff to get dates. It helped...

Knowing all this can give one incredable powers-

I,ve gone to so called gifted people and listened to their crap and laughed inside. They often truly believe what they,re saying.

They ALL use a combination of mentalism, basic magic and hypnotic suggestion.And a few other tricks of the trade.

The so called fraud mystics, christains, et al, have discovered this. But they,ve also discovered the real secret- that most people make themselves willing lambs to all this crap-because they want hope.

Their lives are lacking.All this nonsense has nothing to do with any fakes,false power. They do not exist.

I can do this, so can you, study mentalism ( a branch of magic)

I love what Randi did- not one person has ever been able to earn the 1,000,000.

Because its all false- and it time to wake up, stop acting like sheep, and progress

Humans are an extremely primitive species.Essentially we are just a bunch of warring tribes whose premise for mayhem and destruction is our primitive, baseless belief systems(religion). I'm sure there are more advanced lifeforms in the universe who laugh at our cerebral inadequacies.

Hmmm, you are sure there are more inteligent lifeforms. Do you have any evidence for this or is this just your own version of a belief system ?

i have met many many intelligent Thai people who still believe in this type of stuff. it causes a problem for me because only morons believe in this stuff.

Remember that election dates in this country are chosen by astrologers. This sort of "good luck/bad luck" superstition is endemic throughout East Asia, even in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan, and it's always been pretty much the hallmark of pagan/idolatrous religions. (Whatever you may object to about Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, these at least condemn any and all beliefs that doing any morally neutral (or dubious) act will bring one good or bad fortune in this life; there's a world of difference between the belief that "you should do what's right, just and compassionate no matter what, and if you suffer for it in this world, you'll be blessed for it in the next" and the belief that "if I buy something new on a Wednesday it will break" and "if a bird poops on you on your way out the door in the morning, you should phone in sick and hide in your house all day")

The great problem here as in China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, is that as people become LESS religious, they are becoming MORE superstitious - that is, as they increasingly disregard the moral teachings of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism or Islam, they increasingly believe in magic, magic men, magic charms, good & bad omens, fortune tellers, and the like, all in the pursuit of totally worldly and amoral (and even immoral) "happiness".

But then the West is hardly immune to this either. We may not believe in magic monks or amulets as such, but we sure as hel_l seem to believe that if we buy certain products, they will get as laid and make our lives just like they look in the commercials. If people didn't at some level believet this, Madison Ave. wouldn't being doing it.

Always remember, a modern "enlightened" educated worldly materialist doesn't have fewer superstitions than an ignorant animist savage -- he just has different ones. He also has his own set of taboos ("He said the N-word!"), shibboleths ("Truth is relative." "We support a woman's right to choose [to murder her unborn child for profit, convenience, ambition, and the avoidance of embarrassment]"), and fetishes ("This nose piercing and tatoo show that I'm a counter-cultural rebel and individual [just like everybody else in my school]", "JFK, RFK, and MLK are heroes", "This Mercedes shows I'm a success", "This Saab shows I'm a socially responsible and environmentally sensitive success").

And most modern western women may not believe in faeries and sprites, but they do seem to believe at some level that their favorite soap and sit-com characters are real, and that the story-line is an actual series of historical events -- my ex-wife had an registered IQ of 150, went to UVA, graduated at 19, and had her MBA at 21, and even she would talk about the characters on LA Law, Guiding Light, and Murphy Brown as if they were real; one time in the middle of LA Law when Michelle Greene's character was showing she'd grown a pair, the wife turned to me with great enthusiasm and said in all seriousness, "Going out on her own was the smartest thing she ever did!" She didn't take it well when I responded (after a pregnant pause punctuated by a dumbfounded expression), "It's a show, honey. ... Abby isn't real. Abby didn't make decision, the writers did, and it only 'worked' because they wanted it too." You would have thought I'd just told our 5 year old there was no Santa Claus.

It was pointed out earlier that ALL of us are superstitious to some extent - (would you wear a mass murders cardigan?)

however I think the problem is HOW superstitious one is.....like drinking...so long as it doesn't effect your life/work/relationships (sorry if a few readers recognise themselves!) then it's OK...but if you are deeply ANYTHING - religious/superstitious/etc and in charge of a country or company....it must adversely affect your decisions....many will be OK and some even by accident may be the righones, but eventually the mumbo-jumbo will outweigh good sense and things will go wrong.

Edited by kedawi

i have met many many intelligent Thai people who still believe in this type of stuff. it causes a problem for me because only morons believe in this stuff.

Remember that election dates in this country are chosen by astrologers. This sort of "good luck/bad luck" superstition is endemic throughout East Asia, even in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan, and it's always been pretty much the hallmark of pagan/idolatrous religions. (Whatever you may object to about Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, these at least condemn any and all beliefs that doing any morally neutral (or dubious) act will bring one good or bad fortune in this life; there's a world of difference between the belief that "you should do what's right, just and compassionate no matter what, and if you suffer for it in this world, you'll be blessed for it in the next" and the belief that "if I buy something new on a Wednesday it will break" and "if a bird poops on you on your way out the door in the morning, you should phone in sick and hide in your house all day")

The great problem here as in China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, is that as people become LESS religious, they are becoming MORE superstitious - that is, as they increasingly disregard the moral teachings of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism or Islam, they increasingly believe in magic, magic men, magic charms, good & bad omens, fortune tellers, and the like, all in the pursuit of totally worldly and amoral (and even immoral) "happiness".

But then the West is hardly immune to this either. We may not believe in magic monks or amulets as such, but we sure as hel_l seem to believe that if we buy certain products, they will get as laid and make our lives just like they look in the commercials. If people didn't at some level believet this, Madison Ave. wouldn't being doing it.

Always remember, a modern "enlightened" educated worldly materialist doesn't have fewer superstitions than an ignorant animist savage -- he just has different ones. He also has his own set of taboos ("He said the N-word!"), shibboleths ("Truth is relative." "We support a woman's right to choose [to murder her unborn child for profit, convenience, ambition, and the avoidance of embarrassment]"), and fetishes ("This nose piercing and tatoo show that I'm a counter-cultural rebel and individual [just like everybody else in my school]", "JFK, RFK, and MLK are heroes", "This Mercedes shows I'm a success", "This Saab shows I'm a socially responsible and environmentally sensitive success").

And most modern western women may not believe in faeries and sprites, but they do seem to believe at some level that their favorite soap and sit-com characters are real, and that the story-line is an actual series of historical events -- my ex-wife had an registered IQ of 150, went to UVA, graduated at 19, and had her MBA at 21, and even she would talk about the characters on LA Law, Guiding Light, and Murphy Brown as if they were real; one time in the middle of LA Law when Michelle Greene's character was showing she'd grown a pair, the wife turned to me with great enthusiasm and said in all seriousness, "Going out on her own was the smartest thing she ever did!" She didn't take it well when I responded (after a pregnant pause punctuated by a dumbfounded expression), "It's a show, honey. ... Abby isn't real. Abby didn't make decision, the writers did, and it only 'worked' because they wanted it too." You would have thought I'd just told our 5 year old there was no Santa Claus.

"The great problem here as in China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, is that as people become LESS religious, they are becoming MORE superstitious - that is, as they increasingly disregard the moral teachings of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism or Islam, they increasingly believe in magic, magic men, magic charms, good & bad omens, fortune tellers, and the like, all in the pursuit of totally worldly and amoral (and even immoral) "happiness"."......

.....and is this not also true for the USA?

I meet quite a few supposedly educated people during my line of work here that insist on wearing these "Jatukam" amulets things.

They look like drinks coasters or in some cases like small manhole covers. (So that's where they disappear to?)

I don't suppose the principal of actual hard work to ensure good fortune gained a foothold with these people? :o

post-32068-1219288482.jpg

I meet quite a few supposedly educated people during my line of work here that insist on wearing these "Jatukam" amulets things.

They look like drinks coasters or in some cases like small manhole covers. (So that's where they disappear to?)

I don't suppose the principal of actual hard work to ensure good fortune gained a foothold with these people? :o

Now THERES an example of Western (or American at least) superstition........what on earth is this unnatural obsession with "hard work"???

It has no relation to happiness or good fortune....just a load of mumbo-jumbo.

remember the saying..."only fools and horses....."???

Edited by kedawi

Now THERES an example of Western (or American at least) superstition........what on earth is this unnatural obsession with "hard work"???

You might be onto something there. I have worked hard pretty much all of my life and yet I still find myself skint.

now where can one buy one of these amulets?

And why do fools fall in love?

Sorry but random points deserve random replies

So "non-Fools" don't ? :o

or does "falling in love" makes someone a "fool" automatically, like some sort of virus...?

...random thought about a random point, which came up at random, besides it doesn't really blur the fact that this was a rather simple, random choice, not to answer a simple question!

ahhh..well..

at least you answered it, same time pretending you didn't - why is that I wonder.....?

I don't suppose the principal of actual hard work to ensure good fortune gained a foothold with these people? :D

You might be onto something there. I have worked hard pretty much all of my life and yet I still find myself skint.

now where can one buy one of these amulets?

:o

You can find lots of amulet magazines in the local newsagents. Next to the car accident / violent death mags.

Hi :D

unfortunately i experience this too, in my immediate family (that of my Thai boyfriend, that is). Both him, his sister and his mother are virtually married to fortune tellers, NOTHING is done without the advise of a fortune teller.

This creates all sorts of delays and misses - a very good land deal has been missed because the fortune teller said it would be bad to buy that before September, well the person selling it wanted the money NOW and got it - from someone else...... a new car that we are planning to buy must have a certain colour that neither him nor me like but which is what the fortune teller says, also of course it can not be bought on certain days or at certain times......

Then of course the weekly questions "will i have success in my job", "will i catch a cold" or "will i step in dog shit".

Oh, and every other day he calls his mum to tell her what he dreamed about the night before, for her to run to the fortune teller to have the dream's meaning explained.

And last week one evening, on the way home, i had to avoid another motorbike and almost collided with a soi dog, which in turn took the offense and bit my boyfriend's foot - of course he was on the phone half an hour later with his mum and the next morning had the fortune teller's report that that was a "lucky dog" and it biting him means that he will soon win the lottery - or something to that context.

Of course the whole family deeply believes in ghosts and such are seen just about everywhere - except for when i am present. The fortune teller says "that farang don't believe in it so they stay away from him". Too bad - should they exist, showing themselves to me would be a smart way to make me believe, wouldn't it?? Maybe Thai ghosts don't apply logic.

At least we can have the car in any colour that we want, as long as we make a "donation" to the fortune teller and have a ritual at some temple, followed by a bumper sticker that says "this car is actually golden". And yes, there are plenty of cars with such stickers on them :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

How did you end up wiht this guy ?

Guess the dog poo on his shoes and he calls his mom, then his mom says you'll lucky if you have farang's gf. cuz she have money !

In case this hasn't already been said, "smart" people are not superstitious, nor do they blindly follow laws, religions or cultures. Further, they are also not diplomatic...they rely on that rare thing called "the truth" instead of playing to the egos' of others.

Life is so tough. :o

Guess the dog poo on his shoes and he calls his mom, then his mom says you'll lucky if you have farang's gf. cuz she have money !

Met the guy on the internet when i was still in my home country in cold Europe. I wouldn't change him for ANY other, that's for sure.... because this superstition-thing is his only fault, really, and i can't blame him for that because the whole family (extended including all cousins, uncles, aunts etc) are like that.

By the way make that "she" a "he" as we are both guys. And the rest of the family knows that THIS Farang does NOT have money, and they like me without it just as much (as this whole Thai family is NOT money-crazy like so many other Thais).

Best regards......

Thanh

Met the guy on the internet when i was still in my home country in cold Europe. I wouldn't change him for ANY other, that's for sure.... because this superstition-thing is his only fault, really, and i can't blame him for that because the whole family (extended including all cousins, uncles, aunts etc) are like that.

By the way make that "she" a "he" as we are both guys. And the rest of the family knows that THIS Farang does NOT have money, and they like me without it just as much (as this whole Thai family is NOT money-crazy like so many other Thais).

Best regards......

Thanh

Hello Thanh,

I am sorry that I asked those qhuestion, cuz I am Thai who had farang hubby and i know how my family think about farangs and money.

I thought that you are farang woman who have Thai bf, and that give me a big surprise if farang woman who spend her life with Thai guy who believe in superstitious. Cuz even im Thai but i dont believe in that stuff but my family does.

As you both are guys so just ignore my comment and happy wiht what you doing.

Ciao

thesunset75

Having two relatively famous fortune tellers / Fung Shui masters in my close family, I can't say it works, but what's sure, it's profitable !!!

I can sit any member of thai-forum down in front of me who I,ve never met, and know nothing about, and tell them all about themselves, and be 100% accurate.

I can tell them the name of a past girlfriend, how much is in their wallet, predit any number they choose..etc... etc

I can make a pen move any direction from a distance- a person forget a number they,ve just seen( 80%), sometimes their own name.

bend spoons and forks. Make a ghost appear on someones mobile.

Touch someone and make them unable to move.

Or put an electric shock through them with my fingers to show spritual powers. I can cut myself and have it instantly heal.

Or have any number appear as blood mark on my arm- or ass if I choose.

I can make rain appear from the sky anytime. I can levitate off the ground. I can hold up an empty hand and rain down ashes ( something I,ve seen sai- baba do- we use the same method) to the ground

I,ll do it much better than any old fortune teller, fung-shui person.

Am I God?

When I was young I used this stuff to get dates. It helped...

Knowing all this can give one incredable powers-

I,ve gone to so called gifted people and listened to their crap and laughed inside. They often truly believe what they,re saying.

They ALL use a combination of mentalism, basic magic and hypnotic suggestion.And a few other tricks of the trade.

The so called fraud mystics, christains, et al, have discovered this. But they,ve also discovered the real secret- that most people make themselves willing lambs to all this crap-because they want hope.

Their lives are lacking.All this nonsense has nothing to do with any fakes,false power. They do not exist.

I can do this, so can you, study mentalism ( a branch of magic)

I love what Randi did- not one person has ever been able to earn the 1,000,000.

Because its all false- and it time to wake up, stop acting like sheep, and progress

Are you Tom Cruise ?

Because I've to tell you, honestly, scientology freaks me out!

How can smart people be superstitious? Probably for much the same reasons that some smart people in the West faithfully read the daily horoscopes.

I once asked a Thai friend of mine about an amulet he was wearing, and he told me it was to protect him from accident or death when he is traveling. I think most of us are also aware of amulets that are supposed to protect the wearer from bullets, etc. So, I asked my friend, what if the person dies in an accident while wearing the amulet? He said, then maybe the amulet isn't genuine. I then asked do you believe it can actually protect you. He said with a sheepish smile, well maybe only 50-50.

Saying someone elses beliefs are false without evidence is wrong... people shouldn't always have to prove they're right, take the initiative, and prove that they're wrong.

The burden of proof falls on the shoulders of the person saying certain claims are true, not necessarily the other way around.

some virgin gave birth did she?- a man walked on water did he? noah- the world in 5 days- that if you go to lourdes and touch some old stature you get better ( I must admit I do laugh when I hear of how many drop dead soon after- seems like she was,nt on form that day-poor old girl) etc, etc,

Or getting on your knees 5 times a day and making aweful noises will get you anything- other than sore knees.

Or standing against a wall and rocking back and forth will help in any way.

How can anyone in their right mind believe in all this nonsense?, and how can anyone trust anyone that seriously does?

These people are the sheep, the desperate ones, the self deluded.

Clinging to their pathetic dietys and beliefs because they want something that they know reality is,nt going to give them.

Do you know why people like this dislike people like me- because deep down they know its all crap.

I pity them- I cannot really respect anyone who really believes in such tosh.

I think you're missing something. A lot, if not most, legends may be based on real incidents. However, in the retelling of the incident over centuries or thousands of years, parts may have been omitted or forgotten, or just don't include enough detail. Over time, as the stories change they begin to resemble supernatural events. The original event may have happened in a more natural way instead of the impression given in the modern telling of the event. That doesn't mean the event didn't happen. Just that it may have happened a bit differently than told. There just isn't enough detail given.

The point isn't that people are self-deluded for believing certain things. People believe what they do because they have learned it from countless generations before them. While the belief may have undergone gradual changes over time, to where the legend might have little resemblence to the original, a number of critics also seem similar to "the sheep, the desperate ones, the self deluded." Superstitious beliefs didn't necessarily pop up out of thin air. Legends may be based on real events, but you also have to take into account the knowledge that was available at the time. An earthquake, a volcanic eruption, a tsunami, drought, etc., would've easily been seen by ancient humans as supernatural events, especially when they had no other knowledge as to why or how such things happen.

Perhaps that you "cannot really respect anyone who really believes in such tosh" has less to do with what people believe and more to do with what you yourself might not know about the origins of certain legends and superstitions, or why some people today still believe them? You've cited a number of examples that you claim to be nonsense without showing why they are nonsense. Don't get me wrong though. I agree some people can and do indeed take some superstitious legends and things to extreme. But sometimes it also helps looking at the larger picture before being too critical. If certain legends and superstitions have been retold and passed on for who knows how many generations, it's not unreasonable to understand that there are going to be people who still believe those superstitions and legends today.

Once watched an amulet placed around a chicken under the belief that the power was so strong that it would protect the chicken from bullets. Hmmm, at least we had something to eat that night.

Hi :o

unfortunately i experience this too, in my immediate family (that of my Thai boyfriend, that is). Both him, his sister and his mother are virtually married to fortune tellers, NOTHING is done without the advise of a fortune teller.

This creates all sorts of delays and misses - a very good land deal has been missed because the fortune teller said it would be bad to buy that before September, well the person selling it wanted the money NOW and got it - from someone else...... a new car that we are planning to buy must have a certain colour that neither him nor me like but which is what the fortune teller says, also of course it can not be bought on certain days or at certain times......

Then of course the weekly questions "will i have success in my job", "will i catch a cold" or "will i step in dog shit".

Oh, and every other day he calls his mum to tell her what he dreamed about the night before, for her to run to the fortune teller to have the dream's meaning explained.

And last week one evening, on the way home, i had to avoid another motorbike and almost collided with a soi dog, which in turn took the offense and bit my boyfriend's foot - of course he was on the phone half an hour later with his mum and the next morning had the fortune teller's report that that was a "lucky dog" and it biting him means that he will soon win the lottery - or something to that context.

Of course the whole family deeply believes in ghosts and such are seen just about everywhere - except for when i am present. The fortune teller says "that farang don't believe in it so they stay away from him". Too bad - should they exist, showing themselves to me would be a smart way to make me believe, wouldn't it?? Maybe Thai ghosts don't apply logic.

At least we can have the car in any colour that we want, as long as we make a "donation" to the fortune teller and have a ritual at some temple, followed by a bumper sticker that says "this car is actually golden". And yes, there are plenty of cars with such stickers on them :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

whahahaha you made my day. That was just too good lol. Of talking to my Thai collegues on this LOL.

Cheers