Updating The Bios?

sbk

My old workhorse, my win98 computer, tells me the bios needs updating (for all you who still remember--it's in control panel, system :o ). What do you think? I am not enough of a computer person to really understand this, so, do I need to update my bios? Will it help my computer? (Pentium III, 64 mb ram).

Also, if it will fit, should I add more ram? Would it need another fan or something if I did that? My computer friend suggests I format and install winme but I have heard quite a few complaints about winme as well. Suggestions please!

sbk - First, DO NOT upgrade to WinME. Stay with Win98 or Win98SE, whichever you already have installed. WinME is nothing but headaches.

Second, YES, upgrade your memory to at least 128mb, or preferably 256mb. Its the cheapest thing you can do to improve performance/speed. Check your owners manual for details or this Crutial website (Most systems built within the last 5 years will work with at least 256mb.)

What utility/program/VIRUS :o is telling you your BIOS needs updating? For info, your BIOS is located in a ROM (Read-Only-Memory) chip on the motherboard. The BIOS contains all the code required to control the keyboard, display screen, disk drives, serial communications, etc., etc. On startup, many computer manufactures copy the BIOS data into memory, as RAM is faster than ROM. However, this occures each time the computer is restarted.

To permanently change the BIOS instructions, it would be necessary to "Flash" the BIOS, a tricky process not recommended unless your very computer literate. A first step in this process would be for you to check your computer manufacturer or BIOS manufacturers website, to see if they have issued any update(s) to your specific BIOS.

You did not state the speed of your P-III. Again as to the question of a new OS, check the Microsoft XP website to see if your system (with a memory upgrade) can run XP. IMHO This would be the way to go, if you feel it necessary to upgrade the OS.

I agree with waldwolf, do not install winME..... your friend that is recommending it, if that is the quality of their advice....well

as waldwolf says , what is TELLING you to upgrade your BIOS? that is a very strange claim. fair enough it can be usefull to upgrade your bios , but I have never heard of the computer telling you to do it.

I don't agree with winXP , but win2k is what I would recommend. a p3 will run it fine , though 128 meg would be better.

flashing your BIOS is not that tricky , but if your flash it with the wrong BIOS you can render your motherboard useless.

please tell us what speed your CPU ( the pIII ) is and when you boot the machine, straight after it has done the mem test , press the pause/break button and write down the srting of numbers and letters that will be on the bottom left hand corner of the screen , that will be your bios identification string. post the number on this thread and that will alow us to identify your bios and motherboard and then we can tell you if it is worthwhile instructing you how to upgrade the bios.

Ok, sorry guys I must be hopeless, but I tried the pause/break button and never got a string of numbers. My CPU is 500 mhz. And I think I figured out the problem with the computer. Some time back I accidentally (can't remember what I did) had the computer re-find all the hardware. ALL the hardware. So, when I go to the device manager it finds two of almost everything. So, lots of the devices are having a conflict because there are two of them listed. One of those being the PCI bus which cannot load the driver ('cause there is more than one) and suggests I need to update my bios to resolve the problem. Obviously I need to go through my device manager and resolve the conflict that exists with each one. Sorry, nothing is "telling" me to update the bios (been here too long my english is going) but on the device manager mentioned above it suggests updating the bios to resolve a conflict, when I obviously need to somehow remove the two of everything. (advice?? should I just click the resolve the conflict button for each device in the device manager?)

So, would I be able to add more RAM without having to add a fan or anything?? I have the manual that came with the computer, and it says I can install up to 256k sdram in the motherboard. It says the board has DIMM sockets arranged as banks 1 and 2 and that I can install DIMMs in any of the two banks and use different size DIMMs in different banks. The BIOS will detect the size and type of installed memeory.

So, what do you think? I am kii-nio when it comes to buying a computer. :o

Ok, sorry guys I must be hopeless, but I tried the pause/break button and never got a string of numbers. My CPU is 500 mhz. And I think I figured out the problem with the computer. Some time back I accidentally (can't remember what I did) had the computer re-find all the hardware. ALL the hardware. So, when I go to the device manager it finds two of almost everything. So, lots of the devices are having a conflict because there are two of them listed. One of those being the PCI bus which cannot load the driver ('cause there is more than one) and suggests I need to update my bios to resolve the problem. Obviously I need to go through my device manager and resolve the conflict that exists with each one. Sorry, nothing is "telling" me to update the bios (been here too long my english is going) but on the device manager mentioned above it suggests updating the bios to resolve a conflict, when I obviously need to somehow remove the two of everything. (advice?? should I just click the resolve the conflict button for each device in the device manager?)

So, would I be able to add more RAM without having to add a fan or anything?? I have the manual that came with the computer, and it says I can install up to 256k sdram in the motherboard. It says the board has DIMM sockets arranged as banks 1 and 2 and that I can install DIMMs in any of the two banks and use different size DIMMs in different banks. The BIOS will detect the size and type of installed memeory.

So, what do you think? I am kii-nio when it comes to buying a computer. :D

I used to run W98 Second Edition, but it's been a long time since I upgraded to Win XP, so would rather not give advice on the device manager.

If you can afford it, get two DIMMs of 128 MB RAM or one (or two!) of 256 MB. Check with your manual that those sizes will work in your PC. I would take out the old 64 MB and take it to the computer shop to show them what you already have - and explain you want 2 x 128 or 1(2) x 256. Take the manual too so they can be sure what type RAM you need. (Don't forget to touch something that's grounded - earthed - before touching the RAM).

I don't believe for a second that you need another fan - RAMs are not that power hungry. See what your manual says - I doubt if it says anything about fans related to extra RAM.

You think you are kii-niow :o:D You should see how much the RAM costs for my old Dell lap top - went to Pantip to look for some. Rarer than rocking-horse poo. :D

in my opinion i think u should try to install win XP as it will solve your problems and you will never have anymore of them. Just format your hard disk and install XP.

now, about CPU and RAM. I have a computer PIII 750 Mhz, 256 RAM and it works just fine with winXP. I can play all the games that were produced a year ago. In one word - it's fine. So what you could do, is buy extra RAM - up to 256. (NOTE that i strongly dont recommend you to run winXP on 128mb RAM as the speed decreases in up to 4 times.. i tried on my computer :D ) , and use XP.

I prommise you will never remember win98.

(However if u need to use computer for playing games and using soft like: Flash, Adobe Primier then u definetely need a new computer)

what is kii-nio anyway? :o

stingy :D

thanks for the tips, I will do that! We do actually have a computer shop here that might have RAM, I will check tomorrow, if not, a friend of mine can order it from bkk. Now I just need to save all my docs on the win98 computer (it doesn't have a cd burner).... :o

If your machine ain't crippled, don't mess with the BIOS. Except for adding more RAM, you could reformat Drive C and reinstall 98SE. Save all your docs first. If you want to run a different operating system, I'd wait till you can replace your computer. Just a little advice from an old-timer.

sbk - Decending from a long line of Scots myself, I do not consider it "kii-nio" (stingy), but rather frugel, to save ones hard-earned resourses before parting with same, for ANY reason.

That said, to solve your "duplication" problems, I would just delete, one-at-a-time, each item in Device Manager, which has a conflict (eg: CD-ROM). Reboot after each deletion and the Windows "Plug & Play" feature should detect and reinstall the correct device and its associated driver.

Now, as to upgrading this rather elderly but faithful computer. First, comes the question of economics. As I and others have stated, you definately should have more RAM (memory). This is the least expensive thing you can do to increase speed, reliability and overall performance. As your motherboard has 2 memory slots, you could leave the 64mb installed, purchase an additional 128mb, install it in the second memory bank, thereby ending up with a total of 192mb. Check the local cost for both 128mb and 256mb. If you have a reliable service center, ask them if the have any "used" memory, which they may have removed from a similar computer, when that owner upgraded. (Just be sure this used memory is guaranteed and that the cost is not more than 50% of what a new one would cost.)

Next, comes the question of your hard drive (HDD). What size is it? Any new operating system (be it XP/2K/NT) uses a lot of storage space. HDD costs are relatively inexpensive these days. I have seen new name brand 40gb/7200rpm/8mb cache drives selling for under $20 (US) and 80gig drives for under $40 (US).

You said you don't have a CD burner. These are dirt cheap today, so you may want to consider installing one. Check the prices. I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

Now comes the "new" OS. We all seem to agree....."forget Windows ME". You could stay with Win98/Win98SE or go for Win2000, WinXP-Home, or WinXP-Pro. Win2000 and XP-Pro were replacements for the original WinNT. They are both very stable, but somewhat expensive and require considerably more HDD space than Win98/98SE do. The ergonomics of Win2000 are very similar to your Win98/Win98SE, so the transition period should be much faster than, say to WinXP-Pro.

Now the big question only you can answer. After adding up all these "upgradeing" costs, would it be better to buy a new computer, or fix-up the old one. Its the same question you'd ask yourself when considering a major repair to your "old" car.

New is nice, but like a new girlfriend, expensive. And the "learning curve" can be very stressful. :o

good luck in your efforts.

:D

not kii neow sbk , maayat or prayaat , the one that means economical.

:o

A p3 500 is still a fine machine. When you call it your old workhorse , does that mean you have another newer machine also? just thinking an easy way to backup would be to network if you have another machine.

give us some more info on your setup.

as you have the motherboard manual tell us the make and model.

what size hard drive , and what you want to use the computer for?

Yes, I do have another machine, winxp and they are networked to share internet connections but for some reason won't share files. :o . I just had to have the motherboard replaced in the newer one (ok it is now 3 years old and the old machine is 5) and when that was done they had reinstalled winxp with all the updates and everything. When i click share files and folders and try to access the newer machine from the old machine it asks for a password. I am wondering if I should run the network wizard again even though it says they are already networked?

As for buying a new one, I guess I am just hesitant because the older one has proven so reliable (even compared to the newer one). We are literally right on the ocean and the computers are not in an ac room but the older computer just keeps chugging away (at the time it was pretty expensive) while the newer (and cheaper one) has had more hardware issues.

I use the older one mainly for internet but it also has a terrific little program my parents got me that I use for graphics stuff (basically graphics for idiots and unartistic people, works great!). It has quite a bit of hard drive left as I use the newer one mainly. But I have noticed it freezes up when using Mozilla too quickly (will change it to firefox to see if the pared down version is easier for it) and I do like the system restore of XP.

And thanks for the compliments, my mother's maiden name is Scott so perhaps that is where it comes from :D

My hard drive is 8 gb and has plenty of free space.

Now to the device mgr issue: deleted both listings of the floppy disk controller and upon restart it installed it twice!!! AARGH! So, back to the drawing board.

I have a friend going to Samui tomorrow and he will check on RAM for me. Now to get the network working again so I can move all my documents over to the other computer. Once that is done I may format and either reinstall win98se (which is what I have) or go get win2k which sounds like it could be better for me.

Thanks for all the advice, I hate to throw away a perfectly good computer that doesn't do much except internet access.

sbk - Below are a few links which may help you resolve your networking problem:

How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP

Networking between WindowsXP and Windows95/98/ME

Home PC Networking[

Networking Windows XP and Windows 9X/Me and Sharing a Broadband Internet Connection With a Router

From the info you've provided, I would, resources permitting, upgrade the older PC in this order:

1. RAM; add 256mb (cost approx $20 (US))

2. CD BURNER ; space permitting, add as second drive or replace current CD-ROM. (cost for a 48x24x48x approx $25 (US), software included.)

3. HDD; upgrade to 40 or 80gb, 7200rpm/8mb cache/Internal unit (cost approx $25/$50 (US)) Keep current 8gb drive and setup as drive D:\ (Slave). Use for backup. (New 7200rpm/8mg cache HDD's cut program load time by over 40 percent. Very noticable improvement.)

And finally, if the XP installed on the newer machine is an upgrade or full version (NOT the OEM version which came with the newer machine) then I'd probably install it on the old machine too, after upgrades were completed. This should reduce possible networking problems and the mental "juggling" needed, when switching between operating systems. Cost: None, only about 1 hours labor.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures in "techie" land. :o

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a go. I am not completely computer illiterate (thank god!) just not so dedicated as others. Living out in the boonies I have learned alot about my computer fast, but as I told my husband, who thought I knew computers because I worked on them when I left the US in 1988, "Honey, I can type". Just haven't been able to keep up with the changes as well as I should. Living the island life makes you kinda lazy, I guess.

thanks again, I will let you know how it goes eventually (hey, I live on an island, everything takes longer here :o )