Motorbike

tatom

Ive had several motorcycles. Most of them had a throttle that would return to idle when I took my hand off , but a couple of them would stay at the same speed. Now I have a Phantom and the throttle returns to idle. Is there some way I can rig it to stay on when I release my grip?

Hi tatom, thats dangerous unless you have a proper cruise control set-up.

What happens in an accident if the engine is revving, the bike is in gear and your arm gets caught in the spokes?

There should be an idle adjustment screw on the underside of the carburetor, easily accessed from the right side of the bike. When the motor is idling, adjust the screw until the revs pick up.

Not that this isn't recommended and I'm not sure why you would want to do it anyways. It's not going to make it go faster or sound louder (but will burn fuel faster and in the event of an accident the engine would remain at a high-idle, which could mean that the tires and chain would continue to spin).

There should be an idle adjustment screw on the underside of the carburetor, easily accessed from the right side of the bike. When the motor is idling, adjust the screw until the revs pick up.

Not that this isn't recommended and I'm not sure why you would want to do it anyways. It's not going to make it go faster or sound louder (but will burn fuel faster and in the event of an accident the engine would remain at a high-idle, which could mean that the tires and chain would continue to spin).

Thats crazier than tightening the throttle cable at the handlebars, presuming you can release the throttle from its tightened position. You forgot to mention you will be probably burn your clutch out quicker than your fuel.

Thats crazier than tightening the throttle cable at the handlebars, presuming you can release the throttle from its tightened position. You forgot to mention you will be probably burn your clutch out quicker than your fuel.

I agree. I've used that adjustment screw to up my rpms so the bike would idle normally (it used to die when ever I released the throttle). But then, once it warmed up a bit, it would rev too high for my liking so I would screw it back down a bit.

(I just realised I made a small error in my previous post, "Not" should have read "Note".) ("Note" that this isn't recommended)

If a throttle has two cables then it should be no problem to 'release' the throttle from it's tightened position as they simply work on a push-pull action.

Actually, thinking about it, I've heard bikes crash with the throttle open. The people riding have not been competant enough to close the throttle when braking in an emergency, so technically it could be classed as riding lessons to teach them to close the throttle themselves quickly.

My father used to go on about driving without using the brakes during some army exercise, years ago. He was somehow proud of driving of coming second in the competition at about 40 miles and how it made his driving smoother. Now next time you're behind a driver roughly accelerating and braking think how much better he would be if we implemented these 'tests'

Ive had several motorcycles. Most of them had a throttle that would return to idle when I took my hand off , but a couple of them would stay at the same speed. Now I have a Phantom and the throttle returns to idle. Is there some way I can rig it to stay on when I release my grip?

I have had the cruise control on my cruiser bikes in America.

The part your looking for (you take of the rubber grip & slide the plastic cruise control over the handlebar & reinstall the rubber grip. once you hit your desired RPM range , you lock the plastic tab in with your thump & unlock when you need to disengage.

PS you might have to cut the old grip down to fit the cruise control.

I would avoid jumping your rpm setting up with the cabling. Sounds like trouble.

I am not sure if they sell the part in Thailand.One of the bigger bike shops might carry the cruise setup. In Pattaya area Siam bikes would probably carry it or know where to get it.

Not sure in your area where to inquire.

Edited by Beardog