Is It Really That Difficult

I moved up from Phuket a year ago next month. My lady friend and I found a nice new 1 br condo a couple minutes walk from the BTS. It was an extremely painful process. The condo is great, the price is right, but the location is just not working out (Prakanong BTS doesn't have much right around it...in fact, it pretty much licks A$$).

We have been looking for a few days now without much luck. She pounds through those local housing mags and I have exhausted the interweb.

It just doesn't add up... How do Thai's find housing? There is an abundance of condos/apartments/housing in this city, and a massive percentage of people do not pay 25 000+ a month.

Where are the local listings? Am I missing something? Should I just set up shop under a bridge?

Edited by justinl

You would be surprised what the average rental is for Bangkok workers.

My assistant has a budget of around 8 or 9,000THB a month i would guess, and is really struggling to find something that is in town, close proximity to BTS line around Phrom Phong, Thong Lo etc.

In fact, i think she has given up and is just staying with her parents.

You would be surprised what the average rental is for Bangkok workers.

My assistant has a budget of around 8 or 9,000THB a month i would guess, and is really struggling to find something that is in town, close proximity to BTS line around Phrom Phong, Thong Lo etc.

In fact, i think she has given up and is just staying with her parents.

Without trying to sound too sarcastic on a Friday, but 8 or 9k and Phrom Phong, Tong Lor, BTS should not be used in the same sentence.

"How do Thai's find housing? "

Is your LF Thai? Regardless, the situation is that many Thais would live in housing that you wouldn't find acceptable. As a farang, you want BTS access, AC, private bath and kitchen, loads of closet space, and internet access. All of those small details add to the bottom line. If you're willing to accept a 500m walk to a soon-to-open BTS statiuon, there are several apartments available in the 5,000THB range.

may i suggest that you check the area of Rajadamri Road, specifically soi mahatlek luang 2 or 1.

there are many leasehold condominiums there that are for rent and since they are leasehold, the rent is quite cheap relative to location (less than 100m from BTS rajadamri); plus it is close to Paragon, central World, silom, lumpini park, aua.

there are just many construction going on around the area at the moment, but if you can live with that i think you will not find a better location at such reasonable rates.

try to negotiate too. my condo unit was originally offered at 18k a month and i was able to lower it down to 15k

good luck.