10 Injured In Bangkok City Bus Crash

george

10 injured in city bus crash

BANGKOK: -- Ten passengers were injured, two severely, when a speeding No-27 bus lost control and crashed into the iron fence of Chatuchak Park Tuesday morning.

The accident happened at 8:15 am amid heavy rains on the Phaholyothin road.

The bus was driven by Wiroj Tosanan, 39 who claimed that a truck made a sudden cut into his way, causing him to lose control.

But passengers told police that the driver was speeding upon leaving the Victory Monument for Min Buri and lost control when approaching a bus stop.

Eight passengers were discharged after receiving treatment at the Rajvithi Hospital.

Two of them were admitted because of their severe injuries. They were identified as Kalaya Borwornsuk, 24, and Duangyen Khamphathai, 30.

-- The Nation 2008-08-12

when a speeding No-27 bus lost control and crashed into

a truck made a sudden cut into his way, causing him to lose control.

passengers told police that the driver was speeding...lost control when approaching a bus stop.

Da m n those dangerous inanimate objects that go crazy on their own! :o

I wish they would take preventative action with these bus drivers--like training, and police stopping them. Someday it's going to be a serious injury, but then that doesn't matter too much, since the rich don't take the bus!

I hope for a speedy recovery for the injured.

The no. 27 bus route is a privately-operated concession. It is not a BMTA route.

The vast majority of BMTA drivers drive relatively responsibly in relatively well-maintained buses.

The vast majority of privately-operated concession routes are driven in a very dangerous and sloppy manner by totally untrained, often amphetamine-fuelled maniacs in soot-belching deathtraps. When unable to deny responsibility or flee from their frequent accidents, they simply say, "No insurance, no money".

It is apparent where the focus should be.

If you have the choice between taking a privately run bus or a BMTA one, I recommend you take the BMTA bus. It's easy to differentiate.

Which could easily be remedy if there was some enforcement of rules regarding insurance and busses having a basic level of standard.

In my home country it can often be the reverse, if there is any oversight enforced...the state run enterprises don't care about monetary penalties against them, it comes from the tax payers treasury!