When Is The Honeymoon With Thailand Over?

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

They say that when you first come to LOS it is like a Honeymoon, but once you have been here a while you question whether or not it was a good decision.

I've been here for 2 years and I'm still on the honeymoon bit. Does it typically go bonkers and if so, how long does it normally take before that happens?

Mine lasted a whole three days.

I was given a long weekend to get over the Jet Lag and acclimatize. Then I had to report to work.

The pile of work, satalite link back to head office and deadlines brought an abrupt end to any idea that I was in paradise.

If you google "culture shock", you will see that on moving to a new culture most people experience initial euphoria (everything is wonderful) followed by disillusion (everything is terrible), followed by a more balanced & realistic period when one adjusts and, possibly, eventually acculturates.

Different people spend different lengths of time in these stages, and some remain stuck in one or the other of the two early stages.

Edited by sylviex

Maybe I will be lucky and stay on the honeymoon part like some of you have done. 2 years dosen't seem like much compared to 18 or 9 but at least I know it isn't all tha unusual for the honeymoon to go on indefinitely.

Thanks for the inputs.

While the honeymoon feeling is very pleasant, you have to remember that you might not be seeing things in a very realistic way.

Edited by sylviex

I've had a wife and home there for 3 years now, but I've never gotten to stay for longer than a month. I'm hoping that the honeymoon will last for years to come. I've already acclimated to a huge degree. The heat doesn't bother me, I love Thai food... I love being around our friends and family. They stopped thinking of me as "money" quite a while back. Everyone knows not to ask me for it, they ask my wife, and she says no to everyone. I love being there when I can be there, I love working on the house, the yard, the garden. It's great... I just can't wait to be done with this Middle East gig and go home for good.

Took two months for me to see things in a new light. I do not like living in Thailand but still will like it as a holiday destination once I leave which due to my situation may be over a year from now. Too much pollution, racism and corruption for me to consider it home. Lack of competence from professionals at all levels, weird visa laws, poor infrastructure and resources for disabled, few people interested in reading or independent thought are other problems; BTW I have plenty of money and a wonderful girlfriend so it's not out of some weird bitterness. I have however come to think of my home country in a much more positive light and am as excited to go back as I was to move here, ironically. For those who love it here I have no interest in changing your mind, different strokes....

hm for me japan is the marriage, thailand is the affair, my gig would probably be filipino, and my ex is NY (we're still good friends). :o

but seriously, it took me about 4 years to become more realistic about thailand. i could take or leave it now, and it has been about 9 years since i first visited. still love it, but hate it too. i agree with wasabi, it's a good holiday destination but not a great place to live.

Edited by girlx

I want to add I do love many things about Thailand. The language, the friendliness of so many people. great food and a vibrant fun culture. Relaxing beaches and other worthwhile travel spots. I could see why someone would like to live here, but for me my health and being able to depend on the reliability of companies and government services I rely on are key to feel comfortable long term. My health is the main problem. I have a poor respiratory system and the smog and dirt has made me sick to varying degrees nearly the entire time I've been here.

I never had a honeymoon.

I'd have settled for makeup sex. Unfortunately, no one* was willing to assist. :o

That's why dogs are cool. No need for such worries when you can have the brotherly love of a paw to the face and an aromatic slobbery lick. :D

* defined as one that didn't have brown rotted teeth, or was not a disease carrier, or was not old enough to be my mom, or expected remuneration .

I never had a honeymoon.

I'd have settled for makeup sex. Unfortunately, no one* was willing to assist. :o

That's why dogs are cool. No need for such worries when you can have the brotherly love of a paw to the face and an aromatic slobbery lick. :D

* defined as one that didn't have brown rotted teeth, or was not a disease carrier, or was not old enough to be my mom, or expected remuneration .

ewww

Took two months for me to see things in a new light. I do not like living in Thailand but still will like it as a holiday destination once I leave which due to my situation may be over a year from now. Too much pollution, racism and corruption for me to consider it home. Lack of competence from professionals at all levels, weird visa laws, poor infrastructure and resources for disabled, few people interested in reading or independent thought are other problems; BTW I have plenty of money and a wonderful girlfriend so it's not out of some weird bitterness. I have however come to think of my home country in a much more positive light and am as excited to go back as I was to move here, ironically. For those who love it here I have no interest in changing your mind, different strokes....

Same for me. About 2 months for all the reasons listed above. However I am eternally grateful to Thailand as it allowed me to discover Singapore which I might otherwise not have done.

What is meant by "When is the honeymoon over?".

I am assuming we are not talking about holidaymakers.

Is this the transition between walking around wearing rose tinted specs drooling like a kid in a sweetshop bleating on about everything about Thailand being perfect and seeing the reality?

If so it varies person to person. Some can live their entire life in the first phase and never see the reality. Some see the reality within days of arriving. In between lie all the others. The important thing is to see the reality without losing the love of the place and accept it as it is. Doesn't mean you can't criticise certain aspects, doesn't mean you have to like every aspect but as long as the good outweighs the bad you are in the right place.

btw I don't personally subscribe to the three phase theory (rose tinted specs-hate everything-discover reality) it is possible to miss the middle one out but I guess some people go through that process.