What Do You Do With "worn Out" Headphone Jack ?

thairookie

What do you believe has failed? The jack is on the equipment. The plug is on your headphone cord. Most these days also have a volume control on the cord. The volume control is the most likely problem and that means new headphones if sliding it does not help (most seem to be sealed these days). The jack on equipment can be checked by using another headphone - if it works nothing wrong there. The plug being a problem would most likely be one or the other channel gone and they are too small to home fix - although a professional solder station could repair at little cost. Most headphones these days to throw away items. Even the cheapest are far better than expensive sets used to be.

What do you believe has failed? The jack is on the equipment. The plug is on your headphone cord. Most these days also have a volume control on the cord. The volume control is the most likely problem and that means new headphones if sliding it does not help (most seem to be sealed these days). The jack on equipment can be checked by using another headphone - if it works nothing wrong there. The plug being a problem would most likely be one or the other channel gone and they are too small to home fix - although a professional solder station could repair at little cost. Most headphones these days to throw away items. Even the cheapest are far better than expensive sets used to be.

I believe it has to do with my plugging in and out. No volume control though. Now in order to listen to "stereo" I have to twist and turn the jack until I hear stereo. It's a common fault, but I have no idea how to rectify it beside buying a new set.

get a bit upset..lob em in the bin and then go out and meet friends and have Burger king and a few beers afterwards

And buy a new set of headphones on ya way home.. :o Seen some pointless <deleted> posted on forums in my time, and this thread ranks up there with the best of them.

get a bit upset..lob em in the bin and then go out and meet friends and have Burger king and a few beers afterwards

And buy a new set of headphones on ya way home.. :o Seen some pointless <deleted> posted on forums in my time, and this thread ranks up there with the best of them.

Birds of a feather flocked together. Thank God you're with us.

Edited by thairookie

And buy a new set of headphones on ya way home.. :D Seen some pointless <deleted> posted on forums in my time, and this thread ranks up there with the best of them.

Birds of a feather flocked together. Thank God you're with us.

Ok, I tell you what. I'll help you and maybe you can answer a question for me. You may be able to get a new set of headphones from Tesco. :D

My problem: The roll has run out on my toilet roll spindle and I need a crap... I suppose posting this here rather than starting a new thread will reduce my carbon footprint? Any advice, I can't for the life of me work out what to do... :o

I believe it has to do with my plugging in and out. No volume control though. Now in order to listen to "stereo" I have to twist and turn the jack until I hear stereo. It's a common fault, but I have no idea how to rectify it beside buying a new set.

You've probably bent the contacts in the socket by regular plugging in and unplugging so that they make only a slight contact with the contacts on the plug on your headphones cable.

I have found that mini-jacks or 2.5mm/3mm jacks are not made particularly accurately, so if your plug is slightly too big, it may have forced the contacts in the socket apart too far. If you have used an over-sized plug previously, it may have damaged the contacts so that a normal sized plug does not make good contact.

Lots of options: change the plug, try an adaptor, change the socket or bend the contacts of the socket back a bit to where they should be.

the problem is most likely not with the plug, rather the stereo side. The contact pins have through use been bent so they are now loose, this will cause a mono effect. OR the contact or the plug themselves have a bit of corrosion or garbage on them.

Solution:

re-bend the pins towards the center giving them a firmer grip on the plug, at the same time give both plug and inner side of the pins a good clean with rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab. If this fails to remedy the connectivity situation, the problem is most likely a dry solder joint on the board, it needs attention by a proficient technician, Bang moh near Khlong Thom has a few guys on the street doing repairs to phones/stereos, I'm sure they could handle it in their sleep.

Oz