New Thai Movie "hanuman" Is Virulently Racist

Jingthing

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just caught the new Thai movie, Hanuman (very bad movie BTW) and it had alot of big roles played by farangs and coincidentally? it was the most racist anti-farang movie I have even seen!

In this movie, farangs ...

desecrate Thai Buddist shrines

viscously beat up, murder, and burn alive Thai schoolchildren who happen to be impoverished and orphaned

portray the big Daddy farang with his vulgar Northeast US American accent, as obessed with sex with Thai women, every other line out of his mouth is Girls, Girls, Girls, the Girls are waiting! as he slobbers

kidnap the sweetest little CRIPPLED Thai little girl you ever did see, and threaten to murder her

there was not one farang character who was sympathetic in the smallest way, and there were many farang characters

Yes, I know its all part of the "story" such as it is. I am not one to favor censorship or political correctness. I am just reporting what I saw.

BTW, at the beginning of the movie the Big Daddy "Girls Girls Girls" farang is referred to by a Thai as farang translated into GRINGO. The translation was WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE, GRINGO? The tone of his voice in Thai was like hearing him SPIT when he said FARANG. I do not think it was a translation error to translate farang to gringo. Gringo is a DEROGATORY term, and the CONTEXT and tone of voice of the speaker when he said FARANG was indeed derogatory, so I consider the translation intentional. This brings us back to an old favorite topic you might wish to refer to here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Hear-Word-Fa...p;hl=derogatory

I realize the audience for this movie is Thai people and Thai people can and will make any kinds of movies they want, and watch any kinds of movies they want. However, I have to ask, will movies like Hanuman create more hatred and violence against farangs from Thais?

we all know many Thais are racist, the great thing about this country is that they can show it. look at the UK you can end up in Court if you say the N word to a black fellow. also I think its fair enough that they make films like that because I hear Gringos taking the p-ss out of Thais and there habits everyday.

it was not so long ago that every Asian in our movies were shown as stupid idiots. :o i am sure most Thais know that not all farangs are lke they have shown in the film.

dont worry about it, look how the Brits have treated the asians over the years, anyone would think Curries and tea comes from the uk.

As I have mentioned above, the people who made this film are educated and trained in the use of film to manipulate people's sentiment - They have not chosen these portrayals by accident.

agreed , they are reinforcing a stereotype that has gained acceptance in the eyes of many thais.

the lifestyle and behaviour of a small but very visible proportion of foreigners here , both tourists and residents , is abhorrent to the majority of thais , and just perpetuates the myth/reality of what we are really like.

filmakers caricature these stereotypes to pander to the audiences perception , and the target audience for a film like this are very receptive to this.

sensational newspaper articles and police reports of foreign crime here just add to the picture.

influential foreigners here should be working harder to publicize the positive aspects of a foreign presence in thailand.

steroid soaked stuntmen should be refusing these film roles too.

Edited by taxexile

Did the bad farang call the Thais "Somchais", like so many here like to do?

And that would be wrong why ???

I use the term like a 'Somchai' mechanic or a 'Somchai' builder.. to denote a normal run of the mill, common denominator 'thai style' person or operation... Same as I could use a 'Joe Bloggs' builder in the UK or a 'Joe 6 pack' mechanic in the states.. Terms like 'John Q Public' or a 'John Smith' carry no connotation other than an 'everyman' status.

Please explain why that would be a problem ??

After Sharks was shown, many people were afraid to go in the water.

Haven't you experienced seeing Thai kids who run away when they see a farang?

The blob indeed.

Haha!

Taxexile, I'm sure the steroid soaked stuntmen did refuse the roles.... since the falang actors in the movie were all kind of small!

The only one pandering to the stereotype of falangs was the falang mafia boss. "girls, girls, girls, I love the girls" The rest of the falang actors were killers..... falangs dont have a reputation as killers in Thailand do they? From what I have read its the other way around.... flying falangs who mysteriously take dives from their 10th story balcony at random yet not rare intervals.

I realize the audience for this movie is Thai people and Thai people can and will make any kinds of movies they want, and watch any kinds of movies they want. However, I have to ask, will movies like Hanuman create more hatred and violence against farangs from Thais?

Have you actually suffered any hatred and violence from Thais? Do you any other farangs who have (apart from those sufficiently drunk and/or stupid to bring it upon themselves)?

Sure.. One mate (and ex poster on here) had his wife kidnapped at gun point and drugged by a local council member, made to sign over land docs and recipets for cash.. He then had threats of hitmen etc.

Another with an unprovoked knife attack.. When he decked and disarmed the knife attacker an unrelated bystander instead of coming and giving assistance ran over and smashed a wallbrick in his face putting his nose level with his cheekbones.. Plastic surgery etc required to sort it out.

I myself had a many on one streetfight when a drunk took a cowards swing at me from behind..

Seen multiple farangs dogpacked and beaten in nightlife zones.. tuk tuks beating people over parking spaces.. etc etc etc

Theres the delightful case of the OAP belgian beaten up by a local businessman breaking his leg etc in full view of the population because the local blew a red light and hit the belgian off his bike.. Just heart warming.

You want me to keep listing the events ??

Edited by LivinLOS

What about when the Cartoon Network airs Children's cartoon show like Rocketboy which has a Don't Buy Thai sign?

What about when Cheech and Chong make fun of Chinese?

What about when Asians are protrayed as villains in Hollywood movies?

I met a Missionary who here in Thailand who hides behind a veneer called an orphanage. What they are really doing is try to convert people into Christianity and he asked me "Do you know that Buddha is Dead?" Isn't that just as bad as desecrating Buddhist shrines?

Give me a break!!!

No I have not seen the movie. Nor do I have any plans of doing so.

Just caught the new Thai movie, Hanuman (very bad movie BTW) and it had alot of big roles played by farangs and coincidentally? it was the most racist anti-farang movie I have even seen!

In this movie, farangs ...

desecrate Thai Buddist shrines

viscously beat up, murder, and burn alive Thai schoolchildren who happen to be impoverished and orphaned

portray the big Daddy farang with his vulgar Northeast US American accent, as obessed with sex with Thai women, every other line out of his mouth is Girls, Girls, Girls, the Girls are waiting! as he slobbers

kidnap the sweetest little CRIPPLED Thai little girl you ever did see, and threaten to murder her

there was not one farang character who was sympathetic in the smallest way, and there were many farang characters

Yes, I know its all part of the "story" such as it is. I am not one to favor censorship or political correctness. I am just reporting what I saw.

BTW, at the beginning of the movie the Big Daddy "Girls Girls Girls" farang is referred to by a Thai as farang translated into GRINGO. The translation was WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE, GRINGO? The tone of his voice in Thai was like hearing him SPIT when he said FARANG. I do not think it was a translation error to translate farang to gringo. Gringo is a DEROGATORY term, and the CONTEXT and tone of voice of the speaker when he said FARANG was indeed derogatory, so I consider the translation intentional. This brings us back to an old favorite topic you might wish to refer to here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Hear-Word-Fa...p;hl=derogatory

The average farang (plenty of exceptions of course) does more to damage the farang "image" than any work of fiction will ever do, especially when there are 100 sitting with beer mug in hand at the base of a gogo pole -usually in public, from 11am to 2am, 365 days a year- for every 1 that is an expat over here with family making a mainstream living.

:o

The average farang (plenty of exceptions of course) does more to damage the farang "image" than any work of fiction will ever do, especially when there are 100 sitting with beer mug in hand at the base of a gogo pole -usually in public, from 11am to 2am, 365 days a year- for every 1 that is an expat over here with family making a mainstream living.

Exactly, and some people should be made aware that overusing the word - racism - for every perceived wrongdoing, makes that word less powerful.

Just my 2 cents

onzestan

Must have told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Perhaps the OP would like the Thai movie industry to copy the Hollywood ethical standards of fairness in movie depictions - they are doing a wonderful job at the moment of showing the true face of people from the Arab world. The hypocrisy on this forum is enough sometimes to make me feel nauseous.

What about when Asians are protrayed as villains in Hollywood movies?

Give me a break!!!

Sure, what would you like broken?

You are correct. Some Hollywood movies depict violent Asian gangs, but these Asians in the Hollywood movie are nothing like these evil farangs in Hanuman. No comparison.

Anyway, look, I do watch alot of Thai movies and have for 10 years now. Some of them are quite good. My favorite is probably Citizen Dog, a film which depicts everyone in Bangkok as growing a doggy tail. This movie Hanuman crosses a line I personally have never seen before. This is not just farang violent villians fighting Thai good guys or Thai bad guys. This is farangs desecrating a Thai Buddhist shrine (while a sweet older soon to be dead man screams in agony YOU ARE ON THAI SOIL NOW), this is showing a mass murder of poor little orphan children, as well as graphic images of their dead charred bodies. I am sorry, this is over the top and downright INFLAMMATORY. Sorry if hearing objective reality offends you. I can't help you. Find a dune to stick your head in, Mr. Ostrich.

Edited by Jingthing

Its only a movie aimed to entertain Thais between 16-35. With an IQ of less than 90.

Seriously now, how can anyone take thhese films seriously? They are crap productions that have a limited shelf life. So a few farangs are portrayed as bad people. Big deal. Walk down Bangla Rd at 10pm any night and you can see hordes of them carrying on like tards.

I really don't give a dam_n what someone thinks of me because of a low budget flick. I had some political zealots call me a racist because I attended a conference that had Danish presenters. I didn't care then and I don't care now. The mutants that believe such nonsense were suckled on internet myths and one cannot reason with people that do not have the mental capacity for reason.

I am a good person and am secure enough in that. If one is a responsible, polite person, then one need not worry. There are more important things for me to worry about such as whether or not the dog was straining himself when he had a bowel movement this morning.

From what I can perceive this is a fantastical period film, yes? I submit that it'd be much more offensive if it was set in modern times. Racism in American media is not so far in the past, either, however.

Nice try. It is set in the PRESENT.

Slow down there, drama queen. It wasn't a "try." How am I to know? I didn't see it but I took my clues from the description of the movie. See here:

"In the ancient time before Land of Siam was born...."

And I missed the "The time passed and ages went by..." in the last paragraph. So sorry.

Found a description here.

I repeat, it was a nice try.

Look, I never said this one movie makes any difference. However, it is very extreme and may possibly be a SYMPTOM of something sinister going on. If you haven't noticed, Thailand is in a deep and protracted political crisis. If you haven't noticed, the rapid dramatic increases in food and energy prices are greatly stressing the poor in Thailand, and most Thais are poor. Throughout history, countries in similar states have always used SCAPEGOATS to diffuse attention from the internal problem. I submit this film might be evidence that is what is happening now in Thailand, and farangs are the SCAPEGOATS.

Edited by Jingthing

Must have told you a million times not to exaggerate.

I think it was more like a billion times.

What do you think the ratio is?

:D

What about that other recent movie (something SomTum) ? Watched it on Tv recently and saw it for sale in a shop. The plot itself left a lot to be desired, but I've seen worse.

Bad guys (farang and Thai). Good guys (farang and Thai).

Bad guys (farang crooks and "wrestlers" and Thais) were a bit exaggerated. Again the scripting could have been better. Even quality actors would have come out looking dopey in this.

The good guy (same guy from some of the Tony's Gym commercials ? Frikkin huge.) plays this overly meek character that is easily hurt by every punch/kick delivered, even by little kids, but goes absolutely psycho when he gets a mouthful of somtam (somtum).

Big as a house, heart of gold and meek as a newborn lamb (and not too smart, but again, I put that down to the script more than anything).

The 2 (Thai) girls did a pretty good job though. I was watching it in Thai and didn't understand most of their dialogue, but they appeared to be the best actors.

As for stereo-typing. Remember that the Russians were upset at the recent Indiana Jones movie, where Russians were portrayed as the bad guys. Arabs have protested that they get stereo-typed in Western movies.

Even Albinos protested over being portrayed as nutty killers (Da Vinci Code). Somewhere in deep space, little green men have probably protested over Hollywood's portrayal of aliens over the years.

If Thailand faced a different external threat, bet that whoever posed that threat would soon be portrayed as villans in movies. Problem is, most of Thailands neighbours are so similar (Burmese/Lao/Khmers) that it would be difficult to portray them as villans without confusing people as to their origins, unless it's a set in a historical period where costumes can be used to tell them apart.

Probably don't want to use Arabs as villans either, considering the problems in the south and number of Muslims in the country.

Farangs make an easily identifiable group that doesn't require overly clever plots or scripting to get the message across. If India was a little closer and presented more of a threat to Thailand, you'd probably see more Indians being portrayed in the manner that farangs are currently used.

As for stereo-typing. Remember that the Russians were upset at the recent Indiana Jones movie, where Russians were portrayed as the bad guys.

They were and I understand Russians would be offended by it. However, they didn't burn churches or mass murder orphaned children though. Their actions were in the realm of "normal" villains.

Edited by Jingthing

I repeat, it was a nice try.

How can anyone take you seriously? You don't show any trust. It was an honest mistake.

You are free to leave the room now.

You are free to correct your wrong assessment of what I said. I was ignorantly in error. That's about it. Don't see why you have to make a big deal with it.

Anyway, get a hold of yourself, fella. You are quite deranged. And man, those white guys in Mississippi Burning sure were portrayed badly by those racist Thai filmmakers, not to mention the white soldiers in Platoon raping Vietnamese women. Oh wait, those were both Hollywood movies portraying "farang" as evil bastards. I suggest you boycott Hollywood movies as well as Thai movies. In fact, since you can not look at the world objectively and constantly want to be a victim in Thailand, how about setting up shop in a cabin in Antarctica living out your days alone? The only bother would be those penguins, who might discriminate against you, but I think since they are both black and white they will be more understanding than those damned racist Thais.

You ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto. Get used to it. Open your mind up a bit or you'll constantly be crying bloody murder and not be able to live a contented tropical existence. I hope you can find it in you to live out your days in Thailand looking at the glass half full, one of these days.

If you were able to talk about things in an objective way, I'd say of course the portrayal of foreigners in that movie is completely unflattering and ignorant. But Thailand is not the U.S. There have been equally horrendous portrayals of non-whites in Hollywood movies, despite your constant claims that this is worse than any other racism in other movies out there. I agree that white foreigners are not portrayed kindly in Thai media. But it's not the end of the world.

Don't see why you have to make a big deal with it.

I wasn't. You were. I said NICE TRY, what more do you want? You think NICE TRY is an insult? Thicken your skin, man!

Some other points: Mississippi Burning: white people actually did burn black churces!

Vietnam: Americans actually did rape peasants!

You are mixing up movies that are based on history with Hanuman. I can't help it if you aren't capable of perceiving objective reality. Where did I say that Thailand is like the US, anyway?

Edited by Jingthing

:D

Not I... They dont open here until the evening :o

This is a perfect example of the kind of deliberately foggy thinking (obscuration if you wish) that makes discussion of a complaint about any aspect of the Farang experience in Thailand virtually impossible without a rapid descent into allegations of hypocrisy, misuse of the term Irony and recourse to the general denial that is so clearly evident in many people's thinking.

Perhaps the OP would like the Thai movie industry to copy the Hollywood ethical standards of fairness in movie depictions - they are doing a wonderful job at the moment of showing the true face of people from the Arab world. The hypocrisy on this forum is enough sometimes to make me feel nauseous.

• This is ThaiVisa and the topic of discussion in this case is a Thai movie - Not a Hollywood movie

• Even so - When Hollywood's representation of minorities has been discussed - Nobody is denying that Hollywood has made mis-representations. Far from it, it is noted that Hollywood as done so, and that these have been to a very large extent successfully challenged

• The comment, and comments like it are based on a number of denials - Firstly denial of the fact that two wrongs do not make a right - What Hollywood does is not an excuse for what Thai movies do

• Secondly for there to be hypocrisy there would have to be duplicity in the arguments - Once again nobody is defending Hollywood, without defending Hollywood there can be no Hypocrisy in this discussion,

• The third denial is a complete swerve on the point made in the OP, and repeated by others that the representations have a negative impact on the view Thais have of Farangs.

If there is Irony and Hypocrisy then surely it exists where on the one hand people complain about the offensive or derogatory representation of Thais in the overseas media, and yet here defend Thai offensive and derogatory representations of Farangs in Thailand.

We have evidence that the representations of Thais in the western media have a direct and negative impact on Thais and Mixed Western/Thai families in the west and yet here we have a denial and excusing of that the negative representations Farangs in Thailand.

Be assured. Just as negative stereotyping has impacted Thais and Mixed Western/Thai families in the West - Representations such as those reported by the OP will absolutely have a negative impact on Farangs and Mixed Thai/Farangs in Thailand.

Be assured. Just as negative stereotyping has impacted Thais and Mixed Western/Thai families in the West - Representations such as those reported by the OP will absolutely have a negative impact on Farangs and Mixed Thai/Farangs in Thailand.

Exactly.

This is a perfect example of the kind of deliberately foggy thinking (obscuration if you wish) that makes discussion of a complaint about any aspect of the Farang experience in Thailand virtually impossible without a rapid descent into allegations of hypocrisy, misuse of the term Irony and recourse to the general denial that is so clearly evident in many people's thinking.

Even more exactly.

The only surprising thing to me about the REACTIONARY response to my report is that nobody has yet suggested that I leave Thailand immediately if I don't like it as it is.

Edited by Jingthing

Have a look at the various periods Hollywood has gone through.

Periods where the bad people were only Russians, Germans, etc.

Then a period where the bad people were all Communists.

Then we have the period where all the bad people in the films are Arabs.

To mention a few.

not to mention, how is Thailand portrayed in western movies?

And in general, how are the asian (especially males) portrayed in western movies? Always as the comic nerd or the loser...

Exactly.

So, they think we're all cartoonish villians. hmmm