Dsl Recommendations For West Bangkok Area

Pib

What would be your recommendation for a DSL service provider in the west Bangkok area? Based on your real world experience from the speed, reliability, and price standpoints. Big thanks for your recommendations/feedback.

I always recommend that you speak with neighbors to see which service provider they are using and what their relative satisfaction is with the service, speed, performance, DNS issues and outages. DSL performance is reliant on a decent cable run, and proximity to the serving exchange. If you currently have a fixed line you can look up service coverage and plans at the various service provider's websites.

You can start at this website: http://www.adslthailand.com/index2.php (scroll down, lower left for coverage and pricing)

Here is the CSLoxInfo service look up page: http://www.adsl.csloxinfo.com/index_e.html

I agree...thanks for the info, but I'm not having much luck with neighbors since there doesn't appear to be many DSL users in my neigborhood and the neigbors always seem to be at work. But I'm still hoping to hear from some folks based on their real world experience...becaue at least that would gives a fair indication of the quality of service. Thanks again.

It looks like we are all out of luck recently. There seems to be some heavy ongoing Internet issues (most notably government filtering ala China).

I would suggest you talk to different ISP about their filtering policies. Do they try to block bittorrent, do they limit bandwidth internationally? What are their minimum expected speeds on each specific package? How many customers do they have and how much international bandwidth do they have?

http://internet.nectec.or.th/internetmap/v...etmap082008.gif

The sad truth is this... only 30 Gbps of total international bandwidth with more than 14 million internet users for the whole country.

Lastly. Use opendns to bypass the ridiculous DNS filtering and DNS speed issues from your local ISP's.

Edit: clarity.

Edited by filingaccount

It looks like we are all out of luck recently. There seems to be some heavy ongoing Internet issues (most notably government filtering ala China).

I would suggest you talk to different ISP about their filtering policies. Do they try to block bittorrent, do they limit bandwidth internationally? What are their minimum expected speeds on each specific package? How many customers do they have and how much international bandwidth do they have?

Nice idea in theory but what chance of getting a realistic reply? Try opening a bank account with a tourist visa and see the different answers you get from different branches of the same bank or even different people in the same branch. It's going to be along the same lines if you try asking the questions you suggest, a waste of time if you ask me.

Pib, if not many people appear to have ADSL and they're out working most of the day then I'd say you're in luck. Just go with the largest ISP i.e. True and you will probably get a decent connection most of the time at a reasonable price. Despite all the complaints about internet speed from every ISP plenty of people do have a reasonable connection. If you want high speed running 24/7 then go with one of the premium (expensive) business packages but if you're not downloading endless torrents and wanting perfect streaming video then excluding high density areas like Asoke or Nana, and out in the suburbs there is a good chance you will have few problems. Sign up for a 1MB package for less than 1000 a month and see how it runs (check for special offers if you have UBC and a True mobile). I've used higher and lower speeds and 1MB isn't too bad for the price. Open DNS is always worth trying if you run into problems.

Thanks to all for the responses. Right now I'm leaning towards Ji-net. They are one of the ISP's for my TOT line and from searching ThaiVisa, doing some Googling and checking out Ji-Net's web, it seems like Ji-net generally gets good ratings. While I realize DSL quality and reliability can be greatly influenced by phone line quality, distance from the phone company central office/junction bank, etc., I've generally found it useful to get that general feedback/crossfeed before buying a product or service and then trying to filter out the feedback/crossfeed from those folks who seem like they might be challenged by even turning on a light switch. :o