Baht= "tic" ?

Trebilcock

In Jack Reynolds' "A Woman of Bangkok" the currency is repeteadly referred to as the Tic, ie "Give me a thousand Tics" or "it cost me 20 tics" Been to Thailand nearly 30 times, read dozens of books relating to it, and I can't ever recall hearing that before. Most puzzlingly of all, neither can my Thai better half. Presumably just a slang term, like Quid for Pound Sterling, Buck for US Dollar, etc?

In Jack Reynolds' "A Woman of Bangkok" the currency is repeteadly referred to as the Tic, ie "Give me a thousand Tics" or "it cost me 20 tics" Been to Thailand nearly 30 times, read dozens of books relating to it, and I can't ever recall hearing that before. Most puzzlingly of all, neither can my Thai better half. Presumably just a slang term, like Quid for Pound Sterling, Buck for US Dollar, etc?

Short for Tical - the name for the currency until the 1920s. I have seen it still used on the invoices of certain older Thai companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_baht

How's the book? I ordered an old copy under the title "A Sort of Beauty" quite some time ago but it is still up on my shelf, unread.

Funnily enough, I too bought the book a long time before I got around to reading it. Enjoying it now though. One of the more thoughtful looks at the old falang/working girl thing. IMHO too many books on the topic only look at the falang's viewpoint and invariably revolve around wild parties with self-styled "crazy" ex-pats, getting smashed on booze and drugs, hectic trips to Pattaya, etc. This is a much more considered affair, set in an age before Go-Go bars and sex-tourism as we now know it. Think it was written in the early 50's, and whilst not "smutty" in any way is perhaps quite frank for that time. I think you'd enjoy it.