About 10,000 People Demonstrate In Front Of British Embassy

george

About 10,000 people demonstrate in front of British Embassy

BANGKOK: -- About 10,000 people led by the five leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy rallied in front the British Embassy Tuesday morning.

The protesters occupied the Ploenchit Road in front of the embassy at about 10:30 am.

The British ambassador sent officials to receive a letter from the PAD leaders at about 11:10 am.

The protesters called on the British government not to grant a political asylum to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

-- The Nation 2008-08-19

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone please explain the PAD to me?

obviously the government knew thaskin was doing a runner if they didnt want him to do a runner he would not have been allowed to leave. wife gets convicted and heads on vacation...

so <deleted> is PAD's role in all of this?

Edited by lifeisrandom

obviously the government knew thaskin was doing a runner if they didnt want him to do a runner he would not have been allowed to leave. wife gets convicted and heads on vacation...

No-matter what one thinks about PAD, they don't control the courts and therefor can protest when a criminal has done a runner and the country harboring them isn't doing anything about it.

About 10,000 people demonstrate in front of British Embassy

BANGKOK: -- About 10,000 people led by the five leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy rallied in front the British Embassy Tuesday morning.

The protesters occupied the Ploenchit Road in front of the embassy at about 10:30 am.

The British ambassador sent officials to receive a letter from the PAD leaders at about 11:10 am.

The protesters called on the British government not to grant a political asylum to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

-- The Nation 2008-08-19

How dare they have the cheek to protest against the actions of such a great nation.

Mommysboy will have to go down there and sort them out. God save the Queen.

I wonder if anyone in the UK is paying any attention to this tempest in a teapot.

It's not even on the BBC website.

I do agree with the PAD in principle but they do do things that could make them loose credibility at times.

Thaksin has not even been proved guilty (Yet), and more to the point Thailand has not requested extradition (Yet?). Perhaps if they waited for those two things too occur then they would have more weight behind their protests.

I wonder if anyone in the UK is paying any attention to this tempest in a teapot.

I do agree with the PAD in principle but they do do things that could make them loose credibility at times.

Thaksin has not even been proved guilty (Yet), and more to the point Thailand has not requested extradition (Yet?). Perhaps if they waited for those two things too occur then they would have more weight behind their protests.

Don't you think that they have ALREADY lost their credibility ?

Another pethetic Sondhi move.... Couldnt expect anything more from the bitter old rich boy. Mummy Taksin ran away and now I have no one to yell at anymore.... What a nutcase he and his friends are... Oh they are a such a sad lot of people........ :o

Edited by Los78

All those who protest must taste the cold steel of the British sword. Mind you a few Man City fans would agree with PAD. Perhaps a compromise coud be reached- he can stay in Scotland.

All those who protest must taste the cold steel of the British sword. Mind you a few Man City fans would agree with PAD. Perhaps a compromise coud be reached- he can stay in Scotland.

And then they could go and find the Scottish emassy to protest at. :o:D

to cause trouble :o

From what I have heard, funding for the PAD has all but dried up, so interesting to see where they go from here.

I asked a few friends in the UK if they knew about Taksin/Thai politics etc. and none of them had a clue, so its not exactly no. 1 agenda over there.

I asked a few friends in the UK if they knew about Taksin/Thai politics etc. and none of them had a clue,

That's why Home Office (is that what it's called in the UK?) will probably not ask your few friends' opinions when Thaksin's issue comes up, but they'll surely get a report from the embassy.

It sends a clear message - political opposition to Thaksin is not going to subside anytime soon and the UK might get itself accused of taking sides and it might face prolonged demonstrations outside their embassy.

Thousands march on British embassy demanding extradition of Thaksin Shinawatra

THASKIN3_PIXEL_SIZE_385243a.JPG(AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

Times Online UK

Thousands of protesters have marched on the British embassy in Bangkok demanding the extradition of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinwatra to face criminal charges at home.

Chanting "Return Thaksin home" and waving banners that read in both English and Thai "Send Tax-sin for punishment" and "Britain please - no asylum for thieves", the 7000 strong crowd blocked traffic in one of the capital's main shopping areas.

Thaksin and his wife Pojaman skipped a required court appearance in a corruption case last Monday and instead fled to England, to avoid a possible 13 year prison sentence for fraud. Pajamin was convicted of tax evasion two weeks ago and sentenced to three years in jail.

The protest leaders delivered a letter to a representative of the British Ambassador, Quinton Quale. "We are coming here to submit a letter to the British government asking them to return Thaksin to receive justice in Thailand" said Chamlong Srimuang, one of the protest leaders. The protesters were from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) who wore yellow T-shirts and headscarfs to show allegiance to the king.

"Thaksin is not a political refugee but a criminal evading an arrest warrant," one banner hoisted above the crowd read.

The former Prime Minister, who owns Manchester City football club, was overthrown in a coup in September 2006. AFter 18 months in the UK he returned to Thailand, vowing to fight corruption charges

On Friday, the Supreme Court ruled that a corruption trial against him and Pojaman could proceed even though the couple fled the country. Thai prosecutors are still discussing the possibility of requesting his extradition from Britain.

Edited by taxexile

Another pethetic Sondhi move.... Couldnt expect anything more from the bitter old rich boy. Mummy Taksin ran away and now I have no one to yell at anymore.... What a nutcase he and his friends are... Oh they are a such a sad lot of people........ :o

Couldn't agree with you more .....well said. Sondhi is just a total waste of space. As for the PAD's credibility, stupidly thrown away when it foolishly allowed itself to become associated with him. Outside of Bangkok what little rural support they may have had is likely to decrease.

I asked a few friends in the UK if they knew about Taksin/Thai politics etc. and none of them had a clue,

That's why Home Office (is that what it's called in the UK?) will probably not ask your few friends' opinions when Thaksin's issue comes up, but they'll surely get a report from the embassy.

It sends a clear message - political opposition to Thaksin is not going to subside anytime soon and the UK might get itself accused of taking sides and it might face prolonged demonstrations outside their embassy.

The British Ambassador and his political staff will have been sending detailed reports back to the FCO for months on the crisis in Thailand.At the same time there will have been close consultation between embassies of friendly powers, particularly the Europeans, the Japanese, the Americans and the Australians.If you seriously think that there is much misunderstanding of the significance of the PAD, its charletan leadership, profoundly undemocratic agenda and reactionary politics then I suggest you might want to reconsider.I strongly suspect the embassies will also be very well aware of the PAD's shadowy backers and funding sources.The irony is that the PAD's antics rather serve to prove Thaksin's contention that he would not be treated fairly in Thailand.But again I appreciate that as PAD becomes marginalised the leadership becomes nuttier by the day.

Give it a few weeks when Manchester City are bottom of the Premiership and 7,000 City supporters will march on the Thai Embassy in London demanding that he be taken back.

Samak and Co. don't want him back, too much of a threat to their turn at the trough. What's the betting Thailand never even requests his extradition. Oh, they'll mumble about it and make grandiose statements for public consumption but nothing will happen.

Would be interesting if they did request his extradition though but given the snail's pace the legal processes move in both countries he'll end up being repatriated in time to attend his funeral.

Whatever happens even if he, and Potjaman, are extradited neither of them will ever see the inside of a Thai jail. The worst they could expect is a little house arrest but allowing them to make the odd shopping trip, overseas holidays, visits to the UK to watch football etc.

The British Ambassador and his political staff will have been sending detailed reports back to the FCO for months on the crisis in Thailand.At the same time there will have been close consultation between embassies of friendly powers, particularly the Europeans, the Japanese, the Americans and the Australians.If you seriously think that there is much misunderstanding of the significance of the PAD, its charletan leadership, profoundly undemocratic agenda and reactionary politics then I suggest you might want to reconsider.I strongly suspect the embassies will also be very well aware of the PAD's shadowy backers and funding sources.The irony is that the PAD's antics rather serve to prove Thaksin's contention that he would not be treated fairly in Thailand.But again I appreciate that as PAD becomes marginalised the leadership becomes nuttier by the day.

And this coming from a person who wrote off the PAD months ago as a has-been organisation. Your sense of judgement and ability to see where the political situation is at in Thailand is so off, that to suggest that PAD is "marginalised" and then throw up a well-organised demo in the heart of Bangkok shows who is rather "nutty" these days. :o

I personally think it is a wise move by PAD and shows that they are keeping Thaksin at the forefront of the public's eye, not only domestically but internationally, so no matter what the Thai or British governments decide to do with this unwanted fugitive from justice, he's not just going to be able to swan around in protected anonymity. Human rights groups in UK I would hope are tracking his movements and preparing some custard pies for any public appearances he may decide to make. I think it is a great shame that such a despicable character with such a black record of human rights abuses should be able to take refuge in Britain purely on account of his financial status, when there are hundreds of deserving political asylum seekers refused entry each year as they are too poor to warrant sympathetic treatment from immigration authorities.

PAD's pro-active actions are to be applauded and should serve as a wake-up call that Thaksin is not going to slip from the public consciousness like past wannabe return dictators in Thailand's modern history. It should also push the Thai govt to get the ball rolling in requesting extradition, after letting the sewer rat have a wide open escape route.

Hopefully Tax-sin, with his notoriously poor command of the English language, will mis-read the banners as "Thaksin come home" and rush down to Heathrow for the next flight to Thailand. :D

And this coming from a person who wrote off the PAD months ago as a has-been organisation. Your sense of judgement and ability to see where the political situation is at in Thailand is so off, that to suggest that PAD is "marginalised" and then throw up a well-organised demo in the heart of Bangkok shows who is rather "nutty" these days. :o

I personally think it is a wise move by PAD and shows that they are keeping Thaksin at the forefront of the public's eye, not only domestically but internationally, so no matter what the Thai or British governments decide to do with this unwanted fugitive from justice, he's not just going to be able to swan around in protected anonymity. Human rights groups in UK I would hope are tracking his movements and preparing some custard pies for any public appearances he may decide to make. I think it is a great shame that such a despicable character with such a black record of human rights abuses should be able to take refuge in Britain purely on account of his financial status, when there are hundreds of deserving political asylum seekers refused entry each year as they are too poor to warrant sympathetic treatment from immigration authorities.

PAD's pro-active actions are to be applauded and should serve as a wake-up call that Thaksin is not going to slip from the public consciousness like past wannabe return dictators in Thailand's modern history. It should also push the Thai govt to get the ball rolling in requesting extradition, after letting the sewer rat have a wide open escape route.

Hopefully Tax-sin, with his notoriously poor command of the English language, will mis-read the banners as "Thaksin come home" and rush down to Heathrow for the next flight to Thailand. :D

I hope he has to come back to face the music and do his time. Good on the protestors for at least complaining about the fact that the UK has just let a convicted crimminal into the country. Where this will end I don't know, but does Thailand really want him back? I think they are hoping that he slinks off to the Uk and disappears from the radar for a very long time.

I think the powers that be have him exactly where they want him. If he comes back he is in the clink. If he stirs up too much shit they can take away his passport or attempt to extradite. They have a lot of his money locked away here. He is looking more toothless by the day. The opposition to him getting a UK passport would be pretty strong.

I hope he has to come back to face the music and do his time. Good on the protestors for at least complaining about the fact that the UK has just let a convicted crimminal into the country. Where this will end I don't know, but does Thailand really want him back? I think they are hoping that he slinks off to the Uk and disappears from the radar for a very long time.

I think the powers that be have him exactly where they want him. If he comes back he is in the clink. If he stirs up too much shit they can take away his passport or attempt to extradite. They have a lot of his money locked away here. He is looking more toothless by the day. The opposition to him getting a UK passport would be pretty strong.

Thaksin himself isn't a convicted criminal, his wife is.

the PAD has lost it's crediblity a long time ago.

Let's wait and see IF Thailand actually will request the UK to extradite both of them, something that isn't a certainty by the looks of it. Of course IF they wanted to convict both of them, surely the wouldn't have let them go to China, and I'm sure nobody was surprised that they didn't board that return flight into BKK...

You are entitled to your opinion but it is not in my view really a very sophisticated response.I am not sure from your custard pie references and other yah boo type comments whether you intend to be taken seriously anyway.On one point you are plain wrong however and that is the marginalisation of PAD.It is development that has been widely noted by various political commentators many of them quite sympathetic to PAD's original agenda.To that extent my comments of a few months ago were quite prescient.

If Thaksin's human rights abuses represent his real crimes, as I tend to agree, why doesn't the PAD put them to the top of its agenda?

You are entitled to your opinion but it is not in my view really a very sophisticated response.I am not sure from your custard pie references and other yah boo type comments whether you intend to be taken seriously anyway.On one point you are plain wrong however and that is the marginalisation of PAD.It is development that has been widely noted by various political commentators many of them quite sympathetic to PAD's original agenda.To that extent my comments of a few months ago were quite prescient.

If Thaksin's human rights abuses represent his real crimes, as I tend to agree, why doesn't the PAD put them to the top of its agenda?

Because the people behind the PAD agreed with Thaksin on the human rights abuses and would have gone much, much further. Also, the money to be had is in grabbing Thaksin's dough, not prosecuting real issues.

I'm merely taking your sage advice to lighten up and not take oneself too seriously, as we are merely interested observers of the ongoing stageplay being enacted on Bangkok's streets and now England's green and pleasant land (made maginally less pleasant when bail-dodging human rights abusing scum are let in and given sanctuary). So what's your excuse for being so dull and morbid about the PAD and Toxin's antics?

Seriously though, I would contend that this demo is a clear signal that PAD are not marginalised and are definitely not a spent political force, but are continually shaping and reshaping the Thai political scene in ways that suggest to me a maturity of some sections of Thai real politik. Like yourself though, I abhor the nationalistic element of PAD or any group and the way this is manipulated (as over Khao Phra Viharn) by certain elements to become the central issue. It will mature even further when Toxin's human rights abuses are put firmly on the list of charges against the man and his cohorts, as well as his capitalist cronyism and corruption antics. But as you know, the web of intrigue and guilt by association over this prickly subject is so complex, that unpicking it is more than the present day Thai justice system could handle, without a massive cathartic purging of the present day power structures, which would be hideously unstabilising and risk sending Thailand back in time, rather than a managed progression of the present wobbly status quo.

7,000 people (presumably on a voluntary basis) in a capital city outside a foreign embassy is not a sign of marginalisation, but a fairly mainstream political movement, in my book anyway.

There, that suit your gravitas tastes any better? :D

I'm merely taking your sage advice to lighten up and not take oneself too seriously, as we are merely interested observers of the ongoing stageplay being enacted on Bangkok's streets and now England's green and pleasant land (made maginally less pleasant when bail-dodging human rights abusing scum are let in and given sanctuary). So what's your excuse for being so dull and morbid about the PAD and Toxin's antics?

Seriously though, I would contend that this demo is a clear signal that PAD are not marginalised and are definitely not a spent political force, but are continually shaping and reshaping the Thai political scene in ways that suggest to me a maturity of some sections of Thai real politik. Like yourself though, I abhor the nationalistic element of PAD or any group and the way this is manipulated (as over Khao Phra Viharn) by certain elements to become the central issue. It will mature even further when Toxin's human rights abuses are put firmly on the list of charges against the man and his cohorts, as well as his capitalist cronyism and corruption antics. But as you know, the web of intrigue and guilt by association over this prickly subject is so complex, that unpicking it is more than the present day Thai justice system could handle, without a massive cathartic purging of the present day power structures, which would be hideously unstabilising and risk sending Thailand back in time, rather than a managed progression of the present wobbly status quo.

7,000 people (presumably on a voluntary basis) in a capital city outside a foreign embassy is not a sign of marginalisation, but a fairly mainstream political movement, in my book anyway.

There, that suit your gravitas tastes any better? :D

It may horrify you but I thought that was a good post.Obviously we will have to agree to disagree about PAD.The next few months will show its staying power but my hunch is Samak is consolidating his position and for better or worse will be here for some time.One area where you are bang on the money is the slightly ludicrous spectacle of expats taking Thai politics so seriously, though even I don't come close to the almost psychotic multiple posters (doesn't matter from which side of the political divide).I also take your point about the implications of putting Thaksin's human rights abuses centre stage, not just on the justice system by the way.But hand on heart and no rhetoric (which I must plead guilty to from time to time) I do find the PAD leadership seriously creepy.

Seriously creepy, sometimes yes. But the small guy that puts his hands up in the air and yells whoaaaa.......... for minutes on end, is a hoot.

All in all, it mostly looks like one of those awful end of year school plays, where everyone was given a part on stage however incompetent , reluctant or clueless they were about participating.

PAD - Counterbalance of what has long been out of balance!

The public voice to be heard on the streets!

I don't support the PPP or the PAD, as I have only lived here a year. What amazes me is how this PAD party has been allowed to shutdown streets in Bangkok for the last two months. These demonstrators are suppose to be nationalist, but do they realise what damage they are doing to the Thai economy, or do they really care.

No other democratic country in the world would tolerate this situation.

Faranglandoz :o