The Purpose Of Life

Neeranam

Didn't the Buddha talk about the purpose of life?

Not that I'm aware of.

A regular theme about life in my mind is that most people seem to waste theirs.

The wastage to me appears to be in time as this is very limited.

They appear to do this through over indulgence, laziness, sloth, torpor, inaction, compulsion, addiction etc.

If one of lifes purposes is not to waste it, then living life practicing acute self awareness in order to overcome these afflictions could be a way of discovering your lifes purpose.

Failing to do this may leave you on your death bed feeling overwhelmingly unfulfilled.

It's a good thing not to waste ones life, it's a good goal to have and I have this goal myself, I hope to achieve something with my life but this is a seperate thing from the reason for "life" existing in the first place.

But saying the purpose of life is not to waste it is like saying the purpose of Cars is not to waste petrol, it's a good goal to have and I have this goal myself but I didn't buy my car so I can waste less petrol.

Agree. As William Blake wrote, 'The price of experience is your life.' One can waste a lot of time judging how others use their time.

did some "studying" and admired the wealth of wisdom embedded in the teachings of Buddha. but gave up after some months. reason: as a former scientist and engineer who worked and still works with hard facts i just could not cope.

But have you actually tried practising? Spiritual endeavour is about getting results, and you only get results after doing some practice. Once you get results, you won't care much if the Pali Canon says the Buddha had blue eyes and arms that touched his knees.

You don't have to believe that everything in the scriptures is "true" before starting practice. Have you tried reading Buddhism Without Beliefs?

I think the best strategy is to go straight to the heart of the Buddha's teaching - parts of the suttas, the vinaya and other bits of the Pali Canon. Then bear in mind that the Buddha's main message to his serious followers (i.e. the monks) was to attain nibbana in this life. You can then set aside anything that isn't related to that goal, whether its in the scriptures or coming from a teacher. That way you're not totally going it alone, which is kind of dangerous.

Are these suttas, vinaya and other bits of the Pali Canon found online?

I could access and define them as part of my action plan.

Did some "studying" and admired the wealth of wisdom embedded in the teachings of Buddha. but gave up after some months. reason: as a former scientist and engineer who worked and still works with hard facts i just could not cope.

Hi Naam.

I'm in a similar position to you.

My mind tells me I can't do it and it keeps on coming up with excuses to avoid practice.

It's people like us who will benefit the most.

If you're scientific & mathematical, practice can have the affect of putting you in touch with your artistic and creative elements.

I encourage you to have another go.

The hardest part is setting aside some time and sticking to regular practice.

The other trick is to completely ignore negative self talk before and during practice.

I've found some of my best experiences were during sessions which almost didn't happen due to excuses & negative thought.

Just stick to the sessions without expectation.

In time you'll realise there is something there.

In my experience, much of the best stuff is not online. For an analysis of which parts of the Pali Canon likely came from the Buddha, you'd need to read A.K. Warder's book, Indian Buddhism. The best book I've come across that puts the Pali Canon into a structure with key excerpts and commentary is Bhikkhu Bodhi's In the Buddha's Words. The nearest thing to that online is Nyanatiloka's The Word of the Buddha. I believe Ajahn Brahm uses this one to teach his students.

Most of the Pali Canon is available at Access to Insight.

did some "studying" and admired the wealth of wisdom embedded in the teachings of Buddha. but gave up after some months. reason: as a former scientist and engineer who worked and still works with hard facts i just could not cope.

But have you actually tried practising? Spiritual endeavour is about getting results, and you only get results after doing some practice. Once you get results, you won't care much if the Pali Canon says the Buddha had blue eyes and arms that touched his knees.

You don't have to believe that everything in the scriptures is "true" before starting practice. Have you tried reading Buddhism Without Beliefs?

every attempt i made was futile. somehow it felt as if i was trying to design a perpetuum mobile, knowing quite well that this is an impossible task. i am not referring specifically to my attempt "letting go" but to the views of Buddhism in general. if one can't accept -or let's rather say fathom- the fundamentals, no positive result can be achieved. perhaps i'll give it another try in due course.

every attempt i made was futile. somehow it felt as if i was trying to design a perpetuum mobile, knowing quite well that this is an impossible task. i am not referring specifically to my attempt "letting go" but to the views of Buddhism in general. if one can't accept -or let's rather say fathom- the fundamentals, no positive result can be achieved. perhaps i'll give it another try in due course.

"Buddhism Without Beliefs" is a great, de-mystifying primer on Buddhism. Someone I know once called it "Buddhism Without The Bullshit". Meaning it was very accessible for the non Buddhist reader.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-d...155&s=books

"Buddhism Without Beliefs" can possibly help you to overcome your scientific aversion to Buddhism.

The other technique is not to give in to your negative thoughts.

Simply observe them for what they are (random thoughts) but don't act on them.

Soon they will pass.

I find that one doesn't meditate.

Meditation comes to them.

Simply follow the simple techniques and wait for your gift to present to you.

What you do is to sit in a posture whixh is fully at one with gravity.

Concentrate on each part of your body fully letting go of any muscular tension more and more and more.

Do this over and over until there is no tension including your face.

Observe your breath but don't try to control it.

Breathing in, breathing out, breathing in, breathing out.

When your mind wonders that is ok. When you realise it has wondered, simply re focus on your body letting go of any new tension that may have arisen, then observe your breath again.

When your mind tells you "this is hopeless", simply igonre it. Do not act on your negative self talk. Soon such thoughts will pass.

Never judge the quality of your sessions. It doesn't matter how you end up feeling. Ther most important thing is having sat.

The benefit is accumulative and will come in time. What you are doing is learning how to concentrate. You will get better in time.

The future is exciting as you'll be on a journey to discover the real you.

The you that has always been there and is waiting to be experienced.

I was just wondering about the Buddhist's view on the purpose of life. I know HH The Dalai Lama said it was to help others or at least not to hurt them. I've herad most Buddhists say it is to end suffering then end rebirth. I'm confused - if the purpose of birth is to end rebirth, isn't this contadictory?

Like most questions I have on Buddhism, I'm probably hearing the wrong language. Birth and re-bith probably mean something differnet in Dhamma language???

:D

As a human being...and a sentient creature (with the ability to recognise your Buddha nature) you were born with your feet in the mud and your head in the clouds. Your purpose in life is to recognise your Buddha nature within you, understand that nature and show that understanding. The type of Buddhism here in Thailand would say your purpose is to free yourself from the cycle of birth and death, and thus enter nirvana/nibbana. I would disagree. I would say that having attained enlightenment, the enlightened being, realising his/her Buddha nature should then voluntarily return into the cycle of birth/death/rebirth until all other sentient beings were also enlightened. But that is a point not recognised by the type of Buddhism practiced in Thailand, which holds that the goal of an enlightened person is to reach nirvana/nibbana.

But for a more practical "purpose of life" I like what Robert Frost said in one of his poems:

My object in living is to unite

vocation (deeds) and avocation (belief)

The words inside the (parentheses) are my editing additions.

For me, if I can unite vocation and avocation, I think I will have done what was intended ifor life.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

In my experience, much of the best stuff is not online. For an analysis of which parts of the Pali Canon likely came from the Buddha, you'd need to read A.K. Warder's book, Indian Buddhism. The best book I've come across that puts the Pali Canon into a structure with key excerpts and commentary is Bhikkhu Bodhi's In the Buddha's Words. The nearest thing to that online is Nyanatiloka's The Word of the Buddha. I believe Ajahn Brahm uses this one to teach his students.

Most of the Pali Canon is available at Access to Insight.

Thanks camerata

I'll add A.K. Warder's book, Indian Buddhism and or Bhikkhu Bodhi's In the Buddha's Words to my library.

Where I live, I find the Theosophical Society bookshop keeps a comprehensive range of books on meditation and Buddhism.

http://www.tsbookshop.com.au/

Hope they can access this publication.

Edited by rockyysdt

I was just wondering about the Buddhist's view on the purpose of life. I know HH The Dalai Lama said it was to help others or at least not to hurt them. I've herad most Buddhists say it is to end suffering then end rebirth. I'm confused - if the purpose of birth is to end rebirth, isn't this contadictory?

Like most questions I have on Buddhism, I'm probably hearing the wrong language. Birth and re-bith probably mean something differnet in Dhamma language???

My Mom is a very Dhamma type, and since I've been very much received much of her knowledge..

The Buddhist believes that we are born to repay for the sins (กรรม) we had committed in our previous life, whether it's good or bad, and then the vicious circle will repeat, where we will be reincarnated to again repay for the sins/deeds we had committed in our previous life.

"Buddhism Without Beliefs" can possibly help you to overcome your scientific aversion to Buddhism.

The other technique is not to give in to your negative thoughts.

in my opinion these expressions are not applicable Rocky.

if one can't accept -or let's rather say fathom- the fundamentals, no positive result can be achieved.

In that case, feel free to start another topic on the fundamentals that you find hard to accept. Maybe someone can offer a strategy for dealing with the doubts.

Hi Naan.

That was an example of one of my flaws.

Making assumptions from given statements.

I'm hoping to overcome this with time.

I was interested to learn what you meant by "not being able to fathom the fundamentals".

Edited by rockyysdt

I was interested to learn what you meant by "not being able to fathom the fundamentals".

i cannot separate or leave aside beliefs/fundamentals that are unacceptable to me (such as reincarnation and karma) from Buddhism per se. that's why i think any attempt i make -like meditation- is bound to fail.

i cannot separate or leave aside beliefs/fundamentals that are unacceptable to me (such as reincarnation and karma) from Buddhism per se. that's why i think any attempt i make -like meditation- is bound to fail.

As a scientist I'm sure you're familiar with the principle of "cause and effect". I think that's an acceptable substitution to make when beginning to understand Karma.

As for reincarnation, well no one really knows do they? I prefer the concept of "rebirth" or "cycle of conciousness", because it's something I've experienced myself.

From Wiki:

Rebirth as cycle of consciousnessAnother view of rebirth describes the cycle of death and rebirth in the context of consciousness rather than the birth and death of the body. In this view, remaining impure aggregates, skandhas, reform consciousness into a new form.

Buddhist meditation teachers suggest that through careful observation of the mind, it is possible to see consciousness as being a sequence of conscious moments rather than a continuum of awareness. Each moment is an experience of an individual mind-state: a thought, a memory, a feeling, a perception. A mind-state arises, exists and, being impermanent, ceases following which the next mind-state arises. Thus the consciousness of a sentient being can be seen as a continuous series of birth and death of these mind-states. In this context rebirth is simply the persistence of this process. Clearly this explanation of rebirth is wholly divorced from rebirth which may follow bodily death.

The explanation of rebirth as a cycle of consciousness is consistent with other core Buddhist beliefs, such as anicca (impermanence), dukkha (unsatisfactoriness) and anatta (non-self). Furthermore, it is possible to observe a karmic link between these mind-states.

My approach to Buddhism, was to start with what was useful to me and pay less attention to the rest. Over time more has become useful, while other aspects less so. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Edited by lannarebirth

Here's a fundamental for you.

"The second best thing is to die. The first is not to be born."

Even though the quote has been attributed to Schopenhaur, (who was strongly influenced by Buddhist thought) it might contain much more of the fundamentals of Buddhism than a casual glance would suggest.

The Buddha did not teach re-incarnation, if by that you mean the classic Hinduistic teaching of a soul getting popped into a new body, this view contradicts no-self which he did teach.

He did teach Kamma, in that if you do good you get good results, do bad you get bad results, most people have no trouble with this concept, what's your objection?

Why limit your goal to a glimpse?

This life could turn out to be your big one.

Whlie there is breathe there is possibility.

Well, I'm just being realistic. I don't think there is much chance of attaining nibbana unless one is prepared to spend half a lifetime in the monkhood. Ajahn Chah said if you've spent 20 years accumulating defilements, it may well take another 20 years to get rid of them.

It surprises me a little Camerata.

Having read your posts I know you're very much an authority on Buddhism and its validity.

I've also learned that the Buddha didn't teach reincarnation, and therefore this lifetime is your only crack at the big one.

I would have thought your awareness would compel you to strive for nibbana.

Having read your posts I know you're very much an authority on Buddhism and its validity.

Not me, rocky, I just read a lot. :o

I've also learned that the Buddha didn't teach reincarnation, and therefore this lifetime is your only crack at the big one.

Well, according to classical Theravada, the Buddha did teach rebirth, so there should a zillion chances to attain nibbana. The fact that the Buddha stressed nibbana in this life (for his monks) is the main reason I'm not delaying practice until a future life, but it isn't enough to get me into robes.

• 2 weeks later...
We are born, live awhile...then die. Everything in between is just window dressing. Some waist their time discussing life and its meaning, while others just get on with it. The clock is ticking. To each his own.

I disagree, this present body was born and will die.

--------------------------------------------

We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness.

Thich Nhat Hanh

(By which I think he means our illusion of separateness from the Universe)

(As close as any explanation I've ever heard to explain "'the reason for life")

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clear mind is like the full moon in the sky.

Sometimes clouds come and cover it, but the moon is always shining behind.

The clouds go away, then the moon shines brightly again.

So don't worry about clear mind: it is always there.

When thinking comes, behind it is clear mind.

When thinking goes, there is only clear mind.

Thinking comes and goes, comes and goes.

You must not be attached to the coming or the going.

(Seung Sahn Soen-sa)

Humans can't choose a 'purpose' for their lives, we are just temporary re-arrangements of inanimate matter that are entirely and completely conditioned and determined by the matter around us. The nervous system might stimulate the human organism to make it 'feel' like it's determining its destiny, but that's really just a illusory contrivance for limited beings in a universe of near infinite causations. All humans can ever really do is pursue pleasure, whatever form or subtlety it may take, you all know that's true.

I am currently in Hong Kong mode: make as much money as fast as possible! :D I fear the darker side of me may be to have as much sex and drugs as possible too, but I hope that isn't true :o . After I pass 30, I assume I'll be more mature enough to pursue nibbana, I feel like I'd owe it to my future family so that I am at least not as susceptable to suffering as I would be without samadhi.

Edited by RY12

Hope I'm not out of line here, but I DO believe in a Creator, tho' this isn't the time or place to explain how I came to this conclusion.

Anyhoo!! I also believe that this Creator exists in perfection, in infinity, in eternity..............that He is existential. And being existential, He has created the worlds of time and space in order to experience, through us..........we are experiential beings.

So, it's my belief that the purpose of life is to experience. That's it, in a nutshell!!