Laos Visa / Luang Prabang

Trevor

Temporary freeze on Lao visas

Lao immigration authorities have announced no visas will be issued, either on arrival or through its embassies, for the period from November 22 to December 1 during the ASEAN Summit Meetings in Vientiane.

The last-minute announcement comes as a shock to tour operators, who will have to cancel or alter itineraries for clients who do not already possess visas.

A spokesman for the Lao embassy in Bangkok said the decision to suspend visa approvals was made in order to insure security for delegates attending the conference. “Many hotels are already fully booked during the summit, so visitors would not be able to find lodging in any case,” he said.

Meanwhile, in anticipation of hosting meetings for the ASEAN Summit next month, the Lao Plaza hotel has opened a new conference room and renovated its executive floors and suite rooms. The new 200 square meter Plaza Hall accommodates up to 60 guests theater-style. The US$2.5 million project also includes renovations to the deluxe suite and 33 executive rooms, with new desks, work areas and pantries. (TTG Asia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trevor please post here how your trip goes, I have been wanting to make that trip myself but starting at Chiang Saen.

Last time I went to Chiang Saen there were new boats there and the service was about to start.

If they have starated ferry service at Chiang Saen have they stopped the ferry service at Chiang Kong? Its been a while since I've made that crossing.

I've never been on a river boat trip on the MaeKhong but I've talked to alot of people who have.

There is the fast boat. There are two general reactions to the fast boat. One type of person will say that it was great, exciting, I wished I had brought my water skis.

The other type of person will say that it was the most horrid, terrifying experience of their life and they thought they were going to die at any moment.

There is the slow boat. There are two general reactions to the slow boat. One type of person will say that it was great, relaxing, and I was glad I had so much time to strum my guitar and sing folk songs. The other type of person will say that it was the most boring couple of days in their life and that they were sorry that they had dedicated such a large percentage of their holiday to such a boring activity.

Noone I have ever asked about the boat trip has made me want to take one. The fast boat is uncomfortable for several hours (be sure to take your own pillow to sit on as its a rock hard seat and will bruise your behind with all the bumping) and the slow one is boring for several days. My wife has mentioned wanting to do this so probably some day I'll have to tag along with her....oh well I guess it could be worse!

People have said that some of the scenery was unexpectedly nice.