Boiset (offshore Survival) Training In Thailand

Soutpiel,

I'm a bubblehead and a fellow South African by the looks of it.

As for cracking the industry...

Now is exactly the wrong time to try crack offshore. No work or very little. I've worked 3 months this entire year. Some of my friends have been at home for up to year. The north sea is closed for most passport holders. Saying that, we're heading for a big supply crunch. I reckon by end next year the industry will be cooking. ROV's or NDT is the way to go if you ask me. Always be work in those fields.

For medicals try flinders practice, Dr. Chang in Singapore seems to have it all covered, but for this one I'm seeing the Navy in Thai, need a medical in a hurry for Brunei next week. Just hope they realise I'm an old man, and don't make me do push-ups. Been 20 years since I been in any navy...

This stupid thing won't let me post links but google these terms " asia pacific imca docters" and you'll get the comprehensive list of docters for the region.

As for the offshore survival, I'll try this Falck crowd, they're global so it will be a professional qualification. Again, just google them. But nice to see i can do all my certs in thailand now...

Edited by Zoggie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soutpiel,

I'm a bubblehead and a fellow South African by the looks of it.

Now is exactly the wrong time to try crack offshore. No work or very little. I've worked 3 months this entire year. Some of my friends have been at home for up to year. The north sea is closed for most passport holders. Saying that, we're heading for a big supply crunch. I reckon by end next year the industry will be cooking. ROV's or NDT is the way to go if you ask me. Always be work in those fields.

For medicals try flinders practice, Dr. Chang in Singapore seems to have it all covered, but for this one I'm seeing the Navy in Thai, need a medical in a hurry for Brunei next week. Just hope they realise I'm an old man, and don't make me do push-ups. Been 20 years since I been in any navy...

This stupid thing won't let me post links but google these terms " asia pacific imca docters" and you'll get the comprehensive list of docters for the region.

As for the offshore survival, I'll try this Falck crowd, they're global so it will be a professional qualification. Again, just google them. But nice to see i can do all my certs in thailand now...

Lets just say, I could really go for a Wors roll and a Castle right now... :D ......and before you tell me "Soutpeel" is spelt wrong...I know....Afrikaans was never my strongest subject at school... :D

As regards future prospects for O&G, there are many things coming off in the Asia Pacific region over the next few years, most notably two massive projects off Australia, but good things coming in the SEA region as well

Pickings for most guys have been thin, simply because the majors got cold feet when the oil price dripped to around $30 a barrel not so long ago...as long as it sit's $60-70/barrel most projects will kick off again.

A trick to working offshore for anyone reasonably new to the game or trying to get in the game....Be Versatile, you are more employable....ie as Zoggie is a bubblehead, what does he do if there is no bubblehead work ???...the natural extension would be ROV work...

Zoggie...please dont get upset with calling you a bubblehead...its a term of endearment really... :)

Secondly attitude is everything....dont be a d*ck.....know of plenty of people who have been run off not because of their lack of technical skills but their attitude...no one is indepensible...if some arrives offshore with an attitude problem...they will not last very long...

Any ways enough of the "offshore bible" according to Soutie..

Tot siens..lekker dag

MOGIT is not OPITO approved as of yet, believe they bare under going the audit process, Only OPITO approved locations are in Malaysia and believe the Phillipines

Not correct. Falck Nutec has a new facility in partnership with TPTI in Baan Puu (Samut Prakarn) the facility is first class with a proper HUET set up, Excellent classroom facilities and accommodation on site as well as a fire ground. The facility is being run by Andy Peel, a Brit. The Sri Racha facility is not OPITO approved and you are right, they are about to undergo OPITO audit.

MOGIT is not OPITO approved as of yet, believe they bare under going the audit process, Only OPITO approved locations are in Malaysia and believe the Phillipines

Not correct. Falck Nutec has a new facility in partnership with TPTI in Baan Puu (Samut Prakarn) the facility is first class with a proper HUET set up, Excellent classroom facilities and accommodation on site as well as a fire ground. The facility is being run by Andy Peel, a Brit. The Sri Racha facility is not OPITO approved and you are right, they are about to undergo OPITO audit.

Midas..look at the date on my posting over a year ago.....believe Nutec hasn't long been open, so advice given at the time was correct.... :)

I don't suppose they do offshore medicals in Thailand do they?

For diving medicals I get mine done in Sattahip Navy Base.

They are IMCA recognised and cost about 3500 baht or so...

The BOISET course is only in Malaysia or Singapore

Edited by JimsKnight

Do you mean BOISET sea survival and fire training? I just did mine (a refresher) in Siratcha, and it now is good for 3 years.

Do you mean BOISET sea survival and fire training? I just did mine (a refresher) in Siratcha, and it now is good for 3 years.

Guys lets clarify:

Siracha = Tropical BOSIT = No good for cold water locations - also believe Siracha is not yet OPITO mafia certifed...therefore will definitely not fly in the north sea.

Siracha is basically good for SEA and West Africa ie Angola and Nigeria - but basically not recognised at all worldwide locations.

If someone is a young upwardly mobile O&G worker who could literally end up anywhere in the world and frequently moves around on different jobs do the the fully approved OPITO courses for cold water and you will not have issues anywhere in the world.

If only working this neck of the woods or Vietnam - Sirachai training is enough..

Sorry, by the BOISET in Malay / Singapore I mean one that will be recognised by UKOAA in the UK and Norwegian waters.

Soutpiel,

We don't drink Castle any more. That's to Metrosexual. Everyone is on real beer, i.e.Tafel or Windhoek now...or Black Label if you work in a mine and know how to tap your boots to tune your brothers to stop sticking diamonds up their arse, the bozz is coming....

I don't mind being called a bubble head. Have a few bubbles stuck in there for sure. Not as clever as I used to be. Could also be all the Singa of course.

As I’ve heard.

Alert in Singapore – is OPITO approved (with re-breather). It also registers people on their data-base.

There is nowhere in Thailand OPITO approved (as yet). Petronas and other Operators in Malaysia will not accept the HUET/BOSIET from the place in Siracha.

IMO – If you want to be sure of your certification in the Asia Pacific region, Singapore is the place to do it and it gives you the same certification as anywhere in Europe (i.e. RGIT, Fleetwood etc).

I’m not sure about the level of certification provided by the one in KL. I know that companies like Petronas accept it, however I’m not sure how many outside of Malaysia would / will, or whether or not its OPITO approved.

Soutpiel,

We don't drink Castle any more. That's to Metrosexual. Everyone is on real beer, i.e.Tafel or Windhoek now...or Black Label if you work in a mine and know how to tap your boots to tune your brothers to stop sticking diamonds up their arse, the bozz is coming....

I don't mind being called a bubble head. Have a few bubbles stuck in there for sure. Not as clever as I used to be. Could also be all the Singa of course.

Nobody drinks Castle anymore !!!... :) ...Wow been away too long.....Windhoek works for me, just as good

Soutie... :D

As I’ve heard.

Alert in Singapore – is OPITO approved (with re-breather). It also registers people on their data-base.

There is nowhere in Thailand OPITO approved (as yet). Petronas and other Operators in Malaysia will not accept the HUET/BOSIET from the place in Siracha.

IMO – If you want to be sure of your certification in the Asia Pacific region, Singapore is the place to do it and it gives you the same certification as anywhere in Europe (i.e. RGIT, Fleetwood etc).

I’m not sure about the level of certification provided by the one in KL. I know that companies like Petronas accept it, however I’m not sure how many outside of Malaysia would / will, or whether or not its OPITO approved.

Falck Nutec IS OPITO approved and they are in Thailand! By the way, sorry Soutpeel, (note to self: I must pay more attention to the dates posts are made)

Just remember the first job is the hardest to find, after that it gets easier. Now is especially hard as the industry is a bit slow, but there is still work out there if you have skills.

Its gets easier provided you are any good at your job of course.... :)

From what point of reference are coming from saying the industry is a bit slow ??....North Sea ?

I can only speak for myself but literally havent sat down the last 12 months with the amount of stuff going on...

You a bubblehead by chance ??

I am but my ticket expired in July (dam_n Canadian cert, should have gotten the UK one) I am an electrician as well, and 3 years ago trying to find dive work as a new diver was tough and the only thing companies wanted me for was a tech. I turned down alot of jobs with little experience as well. This year has been tough even though I have experience. There is still tech work out there but I don't think anyone without experience would have a chance right now.

Back on topic I just completed day 1 of my BOSIET at Falk Nutec here in BKK, They hold 2 courses per week 1 Monday to Wednesday and 1 Wednesday to Friday. They wanted me to take the one starting on Wednesday because it was all forigners, but I need it before friday so I can possibly get a job starting on the 29th. It is just me and 15 Thais. The instructer is teaching the classes in both Thai and English, so if anyone needs the course you don't have to wait for a class of forigners to fill up. Just book into it at your convenience.

And to clarify again, because people are contradicting each other

Falck Nutec near Bangkok IS OPITO certified, and offers BOSIET (that is the cold water survival recognized in the North Sea). They have a TPTI office as well on site.

Bangkok Centre

919, Moo 2, Soi Tessabarn 58 (Udomsin)

Sukhumvit Road

Tambon Taibaan

Amphur Muang Samuthprakarn

Samuthprakarn Province

Thailand 10280

T: +66 (0) 270 397 73 /4

F: +66 (0) 270 394 46

E: \n [email protected]

W: www.falcknutec.co.th

ER1P - Basic Offshore Safety Induction & Emergency Training (OPITO Approved)

Additional OLF Modules (Free of charge)

Duration - 3 days

Schedule - 2 sessions every week : 1st session (Monday - Wednesday) 2nd session ( Wednesday - Friday)

(Min pax – 4 persons / Max pax – 16 persons)

Training Fee - THB 35,330.00 per pax. (including course fee, course material, lunch & tea breaks at the training centre)

*Accommodations & pick up transportation are provided at additional charges

** Safety card also provided at additional charge: 214 Baht per card

Pre-requisite - All participants must be in possession of a valid medical certificate

Validity - 4 years

And for anyone looking for approved training centers outside Thailand you can find every approved training center here.

http://www.opito.com/index.php?option=com_...1&Itemid=37

My advice is don't go for anything but an OPITO approved BOSIET...nothing else....could save you a headache down the road.

And to clarify again, because people are contradicting each other

Falck Nutec near Bangkok IS OPITO certified, and offers BOSIET (that is the cold water survival recognized in the North Sea). They have a TPTI office as well on site.

Bangkok Centre

919, Moo 2, Soi Tessabarn 58 (Udomsin)

Sukhumvit Road

Tambon Taibaan

Amphur Muang Samuthprakarn

Samuthprakarn Province

Thailand 10280

T: +66 (0) 270 397 73 /4

F: +66 (0) 270 394 46

E: \n [email protected]

W: www.falcknutec.co.th

ER1P - Basic Offshore Safety Induction & Emergency Training (OPITO Approved)

Additional OLF Modules (Free of charge)

Duration - 3 days

Schedule - 2 sessions every week : 1st session (Monday - Wednesday) 2nd session ( Wednesday - Friday)

(Min pax – 4 persons / Max pax – 16 persons)

Training Fee - THB 35,330.00 per pax. (including course fee, course material, lunch & tea breaks at the training centre)

*Accommodations & pick up transportation are provided at additional charges

** Safety card also provided at additional charge: 214 Baht per card

Pre-requisite - All participants must be in possession of a valid medical certificate

Validity - 4 years

And for anyone looking for approved training centers outside Thailand you can find every approved training center here.

http://www.opito.com/index.php?option=com_...1&Itemid=37

My advice is don't go for anything but an OPITO approved BOSIET...nothing else....could save you a headache down the road.

Maybe just to add to this, different operator's/clients have different requirements when it comes to HUET/BOSIET, although OPITO certified training is most recognised/accepted worldwide...it may or may not always comply with operator/client requirements...so you need to check what the requirements are.

Reason I add this is because per the above description of a validity of 4 years, techincally this wouldnt be acceptable in the Gulf of Thailand because the maximum re-certification interval is either 2 or 3 years dependent on which operator you are working with.

Would they make someone who had the 4 year validity redo their training, most likley not, but not a given.

Maybe just to add to this, different operator's/clients have different requirements when it comes to HUET/BOSIET, although OPITO certified training is most recognised/accepted worldwide...it may or may not always comply with operator/client requirements...so you need to check what the requirements are.

Reason I add this is because per the above description of a validity of 4 years, techincally this wouldnt be acceptable in the Gulf of Thailand because the maximum re-certification interval is either 2 or 3 years dependent on which operator you are working with.

Would they make someone who had the 4 year validity redo their training, most likley not, but not a given.

You are right about OPITO not being accepted throughout the entire world, but I can't imagine a course being heald in Thailand mainly for Thai's not being recognized in the Gulf of Thailand, especially when They have a TPTI office on site. From what I understand TPTI is the Thai legislative body for offshore training. Maybe there will be a restriction on the card. I will clarify tomorrow when I finish the course.

Just a quick word on offshore medical certificates (UKOOA).

Used to be under 40 years of age valid for 3 years.

Between 40 and 50 years of age valid for 2 years.

Over 50 years of age valid for 1 year.

UKOOA saw no correlation between age and health so it was changed about two years ago so that all ages now have a standard 2 year validity.

Edited by KarenBravo

You are right about OPITO not being accepted throughout the entire world, but I can't imagine a course being heald in Thailand mainly for Thai's not being recognized in the Gulf of Thailand, especially when They have a TPTI office on site. From what I understand TPTI is the Thai legislative body for offshore training. Maybe there will be a restriction on the card. I will clarify tomorrow when I finish the course.

On TPTI..yes a goverment legislative body...but they dont set the rules per se..the operating company does..ie PTTEP is 3 years validity, Chervron's is 2 years and for Pearl Oil..I have no idea..

I wouldnt get to worried about an OPITO approved training course with a 4 year validity not being allowed in the Gulf of Thailand, was just pointing technically it wouldnt comply with the operators rules, not that they wouldnt give a concession for someone who had one.

Personally I guess as the indutry matures in Thailand there will eventually be one set of rules for everyone..

The only location where OPITO is fully recognised and mandated by all operators is the North sea.

Just a quick word on offshore medical certificates (UKOOA).

Used to be under 40 years of age valid for 3 years.

Between 40 and 50 years of age valid for 2 years.

Over 50 years of age valid for 1 year.

UKOOA saw no correlation between age and health so it was changed about two years ago so that all ages now have a standard 2 year validity.

And of course UKOOA approved affiliates make more money as well, by introducing a standard 2 year validity..or is this just me being cynical... :)

I personally have no time for all the regulatory bodies combined with the bodyshops operating in the North Sea, as my impression is all a big rip off, extorting cash from people who can least afford it...ie people looking for work.

Typical example:

Somebody approaches a bodyshop looking for work offshore in the North Sea

Bodyshop...you have to have BOSIET/Greenhands etc etc otherwise you will not get a job...go and pay for training yourself and you will get a job easy...

Said person attends training school recommended by the bodyshop and coughs up a few thousand pound to complete this training, thinking they will recoup this money from their first hitch offshore.

Said person returns to bodyshop with bright and shiny BOSIET/Greenhands/etc certificate in hand...

Bodyshop " Work is a bit thin at the moment" contact us again in 6 months...

So to me, its a scam....

What a lot of people dont know is as part of their T&C's with their client the bodyshop is charging the client for training/PPE etc...therefore if a bodyshop can get somebody to pay for their own training, the bodyshop is pocketing that portion of the rate and some poor bast*rd who can least afford it is carrying the can.

• 1 month later...
I was looking to do one here, but couldn't find any OPITO approved training centres in Thailand. I am going to Johor, Malaysia next month to do it.

You can get direct flights BKK to Johor for about 6k return with Air Asia, still waiting for them to confirm the course price, but I believe it's about 20k.

you don't have to leave Thailand to do the full survival or refresher the school is in Songklah south Thailand if you ring mogit they will give you the phone number. the school used to belong to mogit but chevron now run it and i can tell you it is opito approved.

i did one in Kuala lumpur at MAS training (Malaysia Airline)center they send me there even i was working in Thailand

you don't have to leave Thailand to do the opito courses the school is in Songklah south Thailand it opito approved.it used to belong to mogit but chevron took it over and it is now opito approved.

i did one in Kuala lumpur at MAS training (Malaysia Airline)center they send me there even i was working in Thailand

you don't have to leave Thailand to do the opito courses the school is in Songklah south Thailand it opito approved.it used to belong to mogit but chevron took it over and it is now opito approved.

Are you talking about Seetapat ?....if so its not opito approved either