Oh Sunflower Oil, Where Art Thou?

rainman

^ This is misinformation, sunflower seed oil is very healthy.

Check your facts.

Last I looked it was widely available in Makro.

Another alternative to sunflower seed oil is sesame oil for cooking. It will sustain high temps without burning also.

Sesame oil just adds a little more taste which sunflower seed oil doesn't.

Cook brand sunflower oil has not been generally available in any markets for many months. There are several other brands starting to become available but for a long time none were on the shelves. I expect price controls are the reason - all being exported for higher profit margins. If willing to pay the local shop keeper they were able to find. Like an underground lottery to obtain cooking oil!

Cook brand sunflower oil has not been generally available in any markets for many months. There are several other brands starting to become available but for a long time none were on the shelves. I expect price controls are the reason - all being exported for higher profit margins. If willing to pay the local shop keeper they were able to find. Like an underground lottery to obtain cooking oil!

Might just be lack of rainfall last October-December thus not all that many sunflowers grown.  At least up in Amphur Wang Muang, just north of Muak Lek, Saraburi, the crop was a semi disaster.  

Attached a note that was in the BKK Post a couple weeks ago, interesting.

Mac

post-32650-1219283012_thumb.jpg

A friend that used to use Sunflower Oil mentioned to me that the price had increased to the point that Thai retailers found that the average customer was no longer buying it - so it has become a luxury for those former SF oil customers.

Olive Oil has always been a luxury item so the effect of a price increase as a percentage of the product price has less affect on sales.