Different Sayings In Different Countries

PapiRico

Two English words that I have been pulled up on a couple of times.

"He' (As in him) when drawn out to "Hee" becomes the female genitalia. :o

"Here" when drawn out (Heea) becomes an insult (Ai hia) (Ai na hia) Something to do with lizard face? Not polite. :D

We would call Soccer -Football, if the name wasent already taken by the real mans sport American Football,but yall have a close one to this, but its more like sissy ball chansing called Rugby, right?

Real mans sport lol!

C'mon it's a poor imitation of Rugby with crash helmets and shoulder pads so they don't get hurt lol.

No one understands the sport outside of the US (or even plays it?).

Rugby and Football are followed and adored around the world.

I guess you never heard of the CFL before then...... Also I am sure that the Super Bowl is viewed in more countries and by more people than any rugby match.

But that's only 1 game per year.

How many countries watch the AFL/NFL games EVERY week compared to the English Premier League football? A small amount.

And if you want to compare the viewing stats for the American Football 'World Cup' to the real football World Cup I think you'll find more countries and people watching the real football World Cup. There's probably more people watching the cricket World Cup.

I was watching a promo on the Travel Channel last night where Samantha Brown kept saying she was going to "shag" that evening. That one might play a little different on the other side of the pond!

One other thing that's not a "saying" but a difference I notice between U.S. and U.K. versions of (supposedly) the same language and it's the notion of a "collective" noun taking a singular verb. I would say "the Motorola team is riding hard" but Phil Ligget says "are riding hard."

Aussie slang makes me piss!

"Awe man have I got the shit's! I'm off to the pub to sup some piss mate!"

What the h3ll does sup the piss mean??? I have never heard anyone say "sup" (Except in America as a shortened version of Wassup).

You can "get on the piss" or maybe "hit the piss" both of which will leave you "hangin' for a piss" so it'll be off to the bog for a quick slash.

Edited by chiliwasabi

Aussie slang makes me piss!

"Awe man have I got the shit's! I'm off to the pub to sup some piss mate!"

What the h3ll does sup the piss mean??? I have never heard anyone say "sup" (Except in America as a shortened version of Wassup).

You can "get on the piss" or maybe "hit the piss" both of which will leave you "hangin' for a piss" so it'll be off to the bog for a quick slash.

Ok, sup as in "supping" is more of an english expression, it means to drink but When I was in Oz I heard "let's go and drink some piss mate" pure times. I could never get used to it, nor could I get used to the expression I've got the shit's (which means I am upset/having a bad day).. I mean you've got the shit's and your drinking piss, that is definitely not a good idea.

Oz: Piss = Beer.

Edited by Lemmy

Sup as in "supping" (an english expression) it means to drink.

"I've got the shit's!" an Aussie expression which means I am upset, I could never get used to this one and yeah in Oz, piss = Beer.

Having spent most of my life in Oz I have never heard of someone saying they are going to sup some piss. I do understand what it means as I speak both English and Australian and understand American. :o

Sup as in "supping" (an english expression) it means to drink.

"I've got the shit's!" an Aussie expression which means I am upset, I could never get used to this one and yeah in Oz, piss = Beer.

Having spent most of my life in Oz I have never heard of someone saying they are going to sup some piss. I do understand what it means as I speak both English and Australian and understand American. :o

Yes chili I did notice, I was merely translating for the benefit of others. Another funny one was when I asked my Aussie cousin if he fancied a brew - "Awe shit yeah!" He looked disapointed when I fetched him his cuppa. :D

Oz: Brew = Bong.

Edited by Lemmy

Another funny one was when I asked my Aussie cousin if he fancied a brew - "Awe shit yeah!" He looked disapointed when I fetched him his cuppa. :D

I thought a brew was a beer??? Nah, I'll admit I am aware that having a brew can also refer to having a smoke (or chopping up a mix to stoke the aforementioned bong) If you were to offer me a hot one though I would assume you would be whipping out the bong and packing me a cone.

Cheers Lemmy, I'm learning a lot today :o

Edited by chiliwasabi

Another funny one was when I asked my Aussie cousin if he fancied a brew - "Awe shit yeah!" He looked disapointed when I fetched him his cuppa. :D

Cheers Lemmy, I'm learning a lot today :o

Are you taking the Michael?

Uk: Michael = mickey = mickey bliss = (cockney rhyming slang) piss. :D

Edited by Lemmy

Yes yes "were going on the piss" this how we say it in the uk but in Oz they call beer; piss, don't listen to chili as he musn't get out to often. In Oz they definitely say "let's go and drink some piss!" or "<deleted> I drunk a shit load of piss last night mate!" mad I know but there you go.

Aussies = piss drinkers.

Yes yes "were going on the piss" this how we say it in the uk but in Oz they call beer; piss, don't listen to chili as he musn't get out to often. In Oz they definitely say "let's go and drink some piss!" or "<deleted> I drunk a shit load of piss last night mate!" mad I know but there you go.

Aussies = piss drinkers.

Oi! :o I never said we don't call beer piss! I said we don't say we are going to "sup some piss"

Part of what I did say was:

You can "get on the piss" or maybe "hit the piss"
Thongs:

Aussie = 76476433dj8.jpg

UK (and i think USA) = 84055966ga7.jpg

:D Many women tourists are quite confused when confronted by a sign at the pub saying "No Thongs after 7pm" :D