Chemical Fertilizer: Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate

Smithson

Is anyone familar with the chemical fertilizer disodium octaborate tetrahydrate? I'm interested to know if it is widely available in Thailand and what it's normal uses are.

Thanks!

I think it is commonly known as Borax, and is available but you have to hunt it down, and I believe the suppliers want to know, what you are using it for. I do believe that it was sometimes injected into the meat or something?! I forget the reason why that was done. But that is why its not that easy to get hold of!!

It is one of the cheapest ways to apply boron, onto boron deficient soils. And is commonly used in fruit & vege production to reduce internal defects like brown spot.

SAP

GOOGLED AGAIN under Solubor, it says that its chemical formation is Disodium-Octoborate-tetrahydrate.

Solubor (which can be purchased as a Agriculture fertilizer)is a powder that can mixed with water and sprayed on crops, therefore I figure there is more than one use for this stuff.......\\ :o

Smithson!! What do you want it for?

SAP

GOOGLED AGAIN under Solubor, it says that its chemical formation is Disodium-Octoborate-tetrahydrate.

Solubor (which can be purchased as a Agriculture fertilizer)is a powder that can mixed with water and sprayed on crops, therefore I figure there is more than one use for this stuff.......\\ :o

SAP

I'm looking at using it as a preservative for timber. Apparently it's more expensive than borax but dissolves much better, so it's better absorbed. Boron based preservatives are favored as they're more eco-friendly. If I use this stuff, the left overs could be used as a fertilizer, which is why I'm asking about it's uses.

SAP

If you use some as fertilizer do not use more than 2 kg/rai, boron is toxic to plants at too higher rate, I had labour spread borax on potato rows once, and when they got to the end of the row and they still had some left in the container and they would poor it on thick onto the last 10 meters (DESPITE BE TOLD NOT TOO!!!!), so at the end of rows the leaves had ugly burn marks because of it.

SAP

Its commonly used to treat/preserve bamboo furniture - you can purchase it from:

CHIENG THAI TRADING

22/2 Moo2

Soi Jadsarntaharnrua

Rama 9 Rd

Bangkok

Tel: 02-726-7300 or 726-7350

Many thanks. Do you know much about the method they are using? Also, this stuff doesn't seem to be commonly used as a fertilizer, do you think I would have much trouble giving away the leftovers once I'd used if for preservation?

• 4 months later...
Fertilizer

Plant growth regulator. Foliar applications due to boron deficiencies.

Coating of finished solid fertilisers. Formulate high performance liquids

containing either boron alone or a combination of nutrients for spraying,

"fertigation" or irrigation.

Correcting Boron Deficiency

In solid or liquid fertilizers, to the seedbed in annual crops or under the

foliar canopy of perennial crops. Perennial and annual crops can also be

sprayed with boron containing solutions. These are normally tank mixed with

other micronutrients or with agrochemical products.

Wood Protection

Flame proofing. Prevent wood decay from microbial attack.

Industrial

Isolation / Flame retardant / Corrosion Inhibition.

Pesticide

Fungicide. Fungi protection. Target ants, cockroaches, crickets,

silverfish, earwigs, flies, millipedes, centipedes, mold and mildew.

pH Adjusment

An acidic or basic substance used to alter the acidity (pH) of a solution

or product.

Soap/Surfactant

Compounds that have surfactant or detergent properties.

Solvent

Inclusion in multi-element soluble powder formulations for spraying on

farm. The amorp- hous particles of Aquabor facilite rapid wetting and

incorporation in water and move viscous liquids even at low temperatures.

Defoliant

Kill leaves on broad leaf plants. Commonly used in cotton production to

remove leaves before harvest.

OTHER BENEFITS

Minimal Crystallisation Effect

Aquabor causes minimum changes to crystallization temperatures or density

of formulation

this is the use of Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate. it may help you.

and if you need that, you can also make me know.

Try to make a habit of using only the amount that you need and if there is any left over the suggested practice would be to return uncontaminated products in their original containers to the place of purchase , the sooner the better. I believe Borax type products were able to be used in explosives and was a reason for some new regulations in the US after the Bush 9/11 debaucle. Always use protective equipment when using any chems even the considered, simple and safe products. I have to cringe when I see so many people working and spraying and applying chems with their trusty mouth and nose protection of varying types as EVERYONE knows you don't want to breath the stuff. BUT MUCH MORE IMPORTANT after the mask is to have complete protective googles. The eyes will transmit your chems much more readily into your system than the multi layers of filtration available by the body during inhalation. Good luck and try to spray as early in the morning as possible to beat any breezes or wind.

• 6 months later...
Is anyone familar with the chemical fertilizer disodium octaborate tetrahydrate? I'm interested to know if it is widely available in Thailand and what it's normal uses are.

Thanks!

in China,it is used as fertilizer and timber preseravtive.